all posts post new thread

Barbell Intermittent Stretching

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kenny Croxdale

Level 7 Valued Member
Stretching prior to a Power or Strength Movement has been show to be contraindicated; dampening both Power and Strength.

However, this research, just published, indicates that the type of Pre Training Stretching preformed prior to a movment can increase or decrease Power, possibly Strength.

"Intermittent but Not Continuous Static Stretching Improves Subsequent Vertical Jump Performance in Flexibility-Trained Athletes", January 2019 - Volume 33 - Issue 1

... A 3 × 30 seconds intermittent stretching protocol increased CMJ performance by 8.1%, whereas a continuous stretching protocol of equal total duration resulted in a transient decrease of CMJ performance of 17.5 and 12.0%, immediately after stretch to 1 minute poststretch, respectively.

... Intermittent and a continuous stretching protocol results in similar increases in ROM,

... Prolonged stretching should be avoided as part of a warm-up performed immediately before explosive muscle activities.

Kenny Croxdale

@kennycro@@aol.com, I attended a flexibility weekend that Pavel taught a pretty long time ago, 2003, I think, where we did specific stretches, wait 60 seconds or so, and then do a strength movement and the idea was that these stretches could make you stronger in the lift in question. I don't recall more than that, but the idea isn't new. See also Strength Stretching by Pavel, and I think there was another DVD as well.

-S-

@kennycro@@aol.com, I attended a flexibility weekend that Pavel taught a pretty long time ago, 2003, I think, where we did specific stretches, wait 60 seconds or so, and then do a strength movement and the idea was that these stretches could make you stronger in the lift in question. I don't recall more than that, but the idea isn't new. See also Strength Stretching by Pavel, and I think there was another DVD as well.

-S-
But, Steve, I think you’d agree that it is a good thing when a “known” idea stands up to robust scrutiny.

Thanks Kenny.

idea isn't new.

New To Me

The information was new to me. The data that I had was the lengthy Static Stretching dampened Power and Strength. Evidently, that still appear to be true.

As per the article, "Over the past 2 decades a substantial body of research has demonstrated that prolonged static stretching (total duration >60 seconds) reduces the ability of muscles to generate power, and that performance reductions may persist for several minutes or hours poststretch..."

Thus, lengthy Stretching, > 60 seconds, is still contraindicated prior to Power and Strength Training; dampening Power and Strength for up to a hour.

However, many individuals are unaware of it. They continuing to perform lengthy Static Stretching and recommend it prior to Power and Strength Training.

I was unaware the shorter (around 30 seconds) of Intermittent Stretching was effective at increasing Power; as well as increasing flexibility.

Stretching For Hypertrophy

What's interesting is Dr Jacob Wilson's research on preforming a 30 second stretch immediately after an exercise for Hypertrophy.

In the 1990's one of the better Bodybuilding Coaches was John Parrillo, Parrillo was an advocate of stretching after each exercise set based on his theory as to why it promoted Hypertrophy.

As per Wilson, Parrillo's theory on why stretching for Hypertrophy worked after each exercise set wasn't correct. However, Parrillo was correct that post exercise stretching was effective at increasing muscle mass.

Schoenfeld's Muscle Hypertrophy Mechanisms

Schoenfeld's research determine three mechanism promote muscle growth: Metabolic Stress, Mechanical and Muscle Damage. It appear that full range movements promote Muscle Damage, which contributes to an increase in muscle mas.

Full range movements such as Full Squat, Dumbbell Bench Pressing (Dumbbells allow for a greater stretch the traditional Olympic Bar), Deficit Deadlifts, etc.

Kenny Croxdale

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom