all posts post new thread

Old Forum Introduction

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NCmedic

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I have been following Strongfirst closely for about a year but I finally decided to "join" the community and discussions.

I'm a paramedic with the goal of getting strong to help me do my job and maintain a healthier, more resilient lifestyle.

I've been doing a ROP/S&S combo for the past 6 months with lots of growing in between.

When I started doing TGUs, I was doing them with 16kg KBs. Now I'm working on 5 sets of perfect TGUs with a 32 kg.

My presses started with a 24 kg ladder and I'm working on the 28 kg. At first, I couldn't dream of pressing a 32 with my left arm but I can get it two times after several months of ROP. I'm working on nailing the snatch test with a 16 before moving up to the 24 kg, I hope to have my OAP up to 1/2 my bodyweight soon so I can continue to progress and challenge myself with new goals.
My short term goals are to press 1/2 BW, complete snatch test with 16, and nail the "Simple" part of S&S.

My long term goals are to "tame the Beast", nail the "Sinister" part of S&S and to obtain a SFG certification. Thanks for everything guys and I look forward to growing strong with everyone!

Tyler, welcome aboard.

If you're doing getups with a 32 and press ladders with a 28, there's no way you should be working on the snatch test with a 16 - get someone to help you with your technique and get at it with a 24.  I have a hard time imagining someone doing press ladders with a 28 who can't just do the snatch test with the 16 kg on zero snatch training.

Not trying to give you a hard time here, just suggesting that the disparity in weight, at least on the surface of things, suggests you might be missing something technical in your kettlebell snatch form.

-S-

Steve --

It's not so much the technique as it is the cardio aspects that kick my butt. I do agree, I haven't tested in about a month but I got high 160s in 10 minutes with the 16kg. I think that I could get it now but I don't plan on retesting for another month. I do some sets of 24 kg snatches on my variable days to help me with the transition and getting used to the technique of a heavier weight. I remember reading in ETK that people new to snatching shouldn't go heavy too quick (for the first year) so that their shoulders can get used to the pounding from the snatches. Therefore, I decided to set 16 kg as my first goal to keep me from rushing into 24 kg too soon. I do 3 sets of 10 24kg snatches on variable days and it's definitely challenging stability-wise for my left shoulder

Do you still think that I should just go ahead and work on it with a 24? If so, I'll definitely get at it... anything to help me reach my goals!

Also, I wanted to clarify... I'm talking about the 10 minute snatch test. I could definitely get 100 reps with a 16kg in 5 minutes.

Ah, the 10-minute test, which I usually refer to as the SSST, is a different beast.

The forum here is great for feedback on videos - take a video of some 16 and some 24 kg snatches and post them and I'm sure you'll get some good advice.  (Post the video somewhere public and post a link to it here.)

-S-

I will definitely do that!

Do you think it'd be more beneficial to do the 5 min snatch test versus the SSST?

Steve, I videotaped the snatches with a 16 kg and 24 kg.

Sorry for the shaky camera work, my wife was trying to handle our 9 month old son and video at the same time lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDSJXISeAHY

The first video shows the 16 kg snatch, 10 reps each arm. It also shows me do 10 snatches of 24 kg with right arm. The second video shows 10 snatches of 24 kg with left arm.

I know gloves are a no-no but I was already super sweaty and I don't have any chalk in the garage so I threw them on.

Looking forward to some constructive criticism!

Hi Tyler, your snatch videos look good to me.  Maybe others will have more to critique.  The only thing I noticed is that you could use more effective body tension throughout, but especially at the top.  Feet corkscrewed into the ground, legs tight, pull up on kneecaps, squeeze glutes, brace abs, engage lats, pack shoulders...

I can't see any advantage to going for the 10 min SSST based on your goals... and maybe no need for snatches at all, until you get towards SFG training.  As you mentioned, they can be a bit much for shoulders, if not prepared, and you can get your conditioning from swings. The  "Simple" goal and "Sinister" will keep you plenty busy, and on the right track for what you need!

Tyler, not bad!  Lose the gloves, please, and drop the reps way down for 24 kg.  Start with singles - hike the bell back powerfully, turn it around as quickly as possible from the backmost position, and rocket it to the top.  Then lower it, park it on the ground, rest, and repeat.  Get a few of those under your belt.

Then try doubles - the new thing will be the drop, and you must insist on getting the bell behind you with confidence, and exploding it back up for a second rep just like you did on the first rep.  Then park it, rest, and repeat.  If you need, get somewhere that's OK to lose the bell, and allow yourself to experience letting go of it behind you and see how far back you can get it to go.

As a guideline for you when training the kettlebell snatch, I recommend doing a few reps at 16 kg to warm up, then doing a limited amount of very focused 24 kg snatch training as described in general terms above, and then resuming with the 16 kg to finish the session.  Gradually increase what you do with 24 kg over time, and eventually get rid of the 16 kg warmup.

Please post another video whenever you feel things have changed and you'd like more feedback.

-S-

Anna -- thanks for the criticism! I agree, I could've definitely maintained a lot more tension throughout my body. I decided to do the snatches based on the ROP from ETK. I've been following that routine for about 6 months now to try and complete the SSST. Also, like you said, it'd lead to SFG training as well. Maybe I should cut it down to 5 minutes like the SFG test?

For the actual snatch workouts, I've been rolling the dice and doing 50-60% effort based on my previous snatch test at 10 minutes. This is with a 16 kg. For 24kg, I've been doing 3 sets of 10 once a week for a variable day routine.

Steve -- I will buy some chalk to help with grip instead of using the gloves! I like your idea as a great way to ease into doing 24 kg snatches while putting maximal focus on explosiveness and technique. I'll start to utilize this. How many sets of these would you recommend? I've been doing around 30 on my variable days as I work to progress to the heavier bell with the intention of increasing it as I feel stronger.

Right now, I'm doing the S&S on mt variable days, 2x a week. This is where I focus on my TGUs and one-hand swings. Mon, Wed, and Fri are my ROP days when I do one-arm C&P and do weighted chin-ups.

Thanks for the criticism everyone. I'm excited about getting better and better.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom