all posts post new thread

Barbell IPF Changes Bench Rules to Reduce "ROM Manipulation"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
So I guess everyone got sick of people with crazy back arches getting credit for presses that barely move:

The state of play for competitive powerlifting will undergo a significant change in 2023. On Sep. 10, 2022, the International Powerlifting Federation (IPF) unveiled a revised Technical Rules handbook on its website.

Effective Jan. 1, 2023, the bench press will be judged under new criteria aimed at curtailing the extreme measures athletes take to reduce their range of motion.

Beginning next year, competitive powerlifters in the IPF can expect their bench press setup and execution to be judged to a “depth” standard — specifically, the angle of their upper arm relative to that of the floor, among other additional criteria.
According to the organization, the IPF Rule Group made the adjustment after receiving “numerous complaints” following the 2022 IPF World Bench Press Championships in Almaty, Kazakhstan.

The IPF also remarked that they expect the updated ruleset “wouldn’t affect 95 percent of athletes.”

That being said, I'm not yet understanding what the definition of a good lift is.

I thought I understood, but the picture confuses me.

More at:

So I guess everyone got sick of people with crazy back arches getting credit for presses that barely move:

That being said, I'm not yet understanding what the definition of a good lift is.

More at:

Nice. Maybe the press-out next.

I get a sore back just watching some people bench press. I’m biased though, I much prefer ohead press. I never bench, I just don’t like it, and have zero interest in spending any time or mental energy on it. Not even sure why that is, I just much prefer overhead pressing

I get a sore back just watching some people bench press. I’m biased though, I much prefer ohead press. I never bench, I just don’t like it, and have zero interest in spending any time or mental energy on it. Not even sure why that is, I just much prefer overhead pressing
Brooks Kubik wrote a book on the overhead press. He managed to find old training logs of a gym in the Bronx or some such place from the 1930s. Basically before the bench press became popular and the overhead press was still an Olympic lift. Anyhow every single person in the training logs had at least a 100% bodyweight press and some guys had 170% of bodyweight presses. His point was the superiority of the press and his belief that as soon as everyone began benching the press fell to the wayside. And then it too was obviously dropped from weightlifting in the 1970s I believe.

I'm not sure how widespread the issue was but it seems that most lifters are pleased with the change. I'm indifferent to it.

The rules may have a good idea behind them but I wish they were more clear. I'm puzzled why they were put out like this with no further explanation. Which part of the shoulder exactly should we look at? Why not give us pictures where it's just on the edge of a good lift and no lift? And what's wrong with the picture of the bad setup? There's no explanation on it at all.

I wish all this was clearer if we're expected to enforce the rules in a few months.

I wonder if they'll let the old records stand.

I also wonder if we're starting on a path where we'll see more changes in the future.

One would have to have a very exaggerated back arch to keep the bottom of their elbows above the top of their shoulders, in the bottom position. I have a pretty large back arch and this still wouldn't impact me.

I don't like that they are enforcing rules on the setup. That seems weird to me. I can understand the rule on the execution of the lift, but why the setup? Judge the lift, itself. I'm obviously biased because I do this! :) I'm referring to the "No feet on bench during setup" rule.

I’ve seen competitions where someone places their feet on the bench, sets their arch next, then takes the bar at arms length, and only then puts their feet on the ground. Perhaps that’s what the rule is trying to stop. The “set up“ of the lift is anything that happens before the judge sees you motionless in the correct starting position and then issues the “start“ command.

-S-

I’ve seen competitions where someone places their feet on the bench, sets their arch next, then takes the bar at arms length, and only then puts their feet on the ground. Perhaps that’s what the rule is trying to stop. The “set up“ of the lift is anything that happens before the judge sees you motionless in the correct starting position and then issues the “start“ command.

-S-

That is the way to maximize the arch. The loaded bar makes it so the back doesn't slip when you force your feet against the ground. It's what I've taught to competitive powerlifters. No more though, obviously.

The way I get it IPF would prefer load on the buttocks instead of the feet. The obvious solution would be to have the lifter have their feet in the air. It's how it's done in the military bench press competitions around here. Interestingly, when competitive powerlifters compete in both sports, their performance rarely dips that much between the styles. Then again, there can be some sort of survivorship bias there. Or the real number of contortionists bency pressing really is that low.

The way I read the diagram, they seem to be indicating that one must at least flirt with the sticking point range of motion in the lift.

But geometrically it looks like the same rule as for pushups. The humerus must approach parallel to the horizontal, and there is some grace to the way they mean to grade it.

More at:

The way I read the diagram, they seem to be indicating that one must at least flirt with the sticking point range of motion in the lift.

But geometrically it looks like the same rule as for pushups. The humerus must approach parallel to the horizontal, and there is some grace to the way they mean to grade it.

In the rules it says: "After receiving the signal, the lifter must lower the bar to the chest or abdominal area whereby the underside
of both elbow joints is lowered level with or below the top surface of each respective shoulder joint "

That is the way to maximize the arch. The loaded bar makes it so the back doesn't slip when you force your feet against the ground. It's what I've taught to competitive powerlifters. No more though, obviously.

The way I get it IPF would prefer load on the buttocks instead of the feet. The obvious solution would be to have the lifter have their feet in the air. It's how it's done in the military bench press competitions around here. Interestingly, when competitive powerlifters compete in both sports, their performance rarely dips that much between the styles. Then again, there can be some sort of survivorship bias there. Or the real number of contortionists bency pressing really is that low.
For years I benched with my feet up, crossed at the ankles. Personally, the whole idea of “leg drive” adding power to the bench, comes back to forming the arch with a goal of shortening the ROM.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom