all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Is it time to see a professional?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Grant Taylor

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello all.

Before I post this, I want to make it clear that I am NOT seeking medical advise!

I have a tendency to get pinched nerves in my lower back while doing KB swings. I have had low back pain over half my life. This is likely due to an old football injury. Is it possible I am hurting myself due to poor form in the swing, or is it time to see a professional?

To re-iterate, I am NOT seeking medical advice, just asking if it’s time to seek professional advice.

It's good to investigate. I'm not sure on the medical professional, but a professional SFG can always help make swings better. :)

Can you describe a bit more about "tendency to get pinched nerves in my lower back while doing KB swings"? Do you feel it while doing swings, or is it something you feel afterwards? Also, are you doing 1H swings, or 2H swings? Do the symptoms change based on that, or on weight you're swinging, or anything else? Can you do kettlebell deadlifts without problems?

The swing is a very safe movement for the back if done correctly. Essentially, the back and the rest of the torso moves very little throughout the swing. The muscles in the back hold tension as the body hinges at the hip and knee to create motion.

Anna,

Deadlifts are fine. In fact, I never experience symptoms from any grinds. It’s always the ballistics that hurt. They hurt in the hinge position, an immediate and sharp pain. I do two handed swings. I suspect my lower back may be arching too much.

FWIW, based on my research on the Google, I suspect I have a bulging disc. Of course, this is only a layman’s diagnosis. ?

Anna,

Deadlifts are fine. In fact, I never experience symptoms from any grinds. It’s always the ballistics that hurt. They hurt in the hinge position, an immediate and sharp pain. I do two handed swings. I suspect my lower back may be arching too much.

Sounds like you have some excess movement with the ballistics. Try doing some slow, visualizing swings with no weight. Go through the movement just like a swing, but in slow-motion, then speed it up and see if it changes. Tune into what your back and pelvis are doing. In the standing plank, your pelvis should be level, just like when you are standing normally, but all the muscles should be tight, especially abs and glutes. Now if you can do this without the arms but still while visualizing the swing, put your hands on the front of your torso, thumbs touching the bottom of your ribcage and fingers touching your hip bones. Keep moving from hinge to plank. Does the distance between thumb and fingers change? It should stay the same. Keep speeding up until it's like the swing and see if that changes it. Then do some swings with a light weight, getting the same feel. Move up in weight, maintaining that same position and tension to keep the pelvis at a constant position relative to the spine, and end up in the standing plank with muscles tensed but pelvis level. Let me know if that makes sense, or tells you anything...

your pelvis should be level, just like when you are standing normally

What I mean by this is if you stand naturally, you can move your pelvis forward and back (some people have more control over this than others, but everyone can get some movement). Pretend that it's a bowl full of water. Tip forward to spill water out of the front of the bowl. Now tip backwards to spill water out the back of the bowl. Now find "level". Now tighten abs and glutes in "level". This is all good practice for control of the pelvis, which changes the position of the low back.

Deadlifts are fine. In fact, I never experience symptoms from any grinds. It’s always the ballistics that hurt. They hurt in the hinge position, an immediate and sharp pain.

Try a low volume of 3x/week swings. Start with 2 sets of 10.

Post a video here.

Try 1-arm swings. Some people do better with those.

-S-

Steve Freides,

I would post a video, but it hurts to even stand right now. Video will have to wait. ?

I just started working on my one hand swings. Making progress!

Additionally, I tend to hinge too early in the swing. I’m rather long waisted, and it’s hard to clear the bell between my legs. I think hinging too early puts too much tension on my back. I’d provide a video, but my back is not able to right now.

Last edited:
Don,

It’s funny you posted those videos. I had the hare-brained idea to do swings in front of a bench once, at full speed, trying to correct my form and stop hurting my back. And.....I hurt my back really bad ?

Don,

It’s funny you posted those videos. I had the hare-brained idea to do swings in front of a bench once, at full speed, trying to correct my form and stop hurting my back. And.....I hurt my back really bad ?
Grant, maybe I should have added an addendum to the vid that read " Do not perform at high speed with a heavy bell and a real bench." I practiced the Pavel vid with an invisibell and an invisibench and in slow mo, 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4. Ha!. BTW, the 12 minute Foundation vid by Dr. Eric Goodman helped my back as well. I did it 31 days consecutive. You could give it a try when you are out of pain.

@Grant Taylor

Maybe consider giving up on the swings for a while? And just focus on grinds to build strength and proper movement patterns, and more importantly, to allow your back to heal.

Ive been doing A&A snatches up to 40kg since October. No issues. 2 weeks ago I made some changes to my training (I wanted to get back to basics too). Instead I've been doing Q&D instead of A&A. I used a 24kg, a light bell for me. I hurt myself a little bit. I was surprised, I hadn't felt back pain in a very long time. Especially since the weight easy light. I realized it had to be my form, degrading because I was racing against a clock. A few days later I tried again. Slowed down a bit and focused on form and I was fine. Even though I slowed down and focused on form, my set of 5 and 10 reps only increased by a few seconds.

Here are some thoughts for you to consider: (1) Consider putting the swings aside for now and focus on the basics and get strong,first. Deadlifts, presses, squats, pulls, etc... Heal your back. Focus on your core and proper movement. McGill Big 3, Stir the pots, front planks. (2) If you must swing, make sure your form is perfect (see an instructor). To maintain volume, keep the set volume low (10s or even 5s) and just do lots of sets. Focus on perfect form. Learn to stop before your back hurts, even if you havent finished your daily plan. Tightness comes before pain. Listen to your body. (3) After your swings. Lie on the ground and do the cobra yoga position for 10 minutes. I do this, in fact I'm doing it right now. It is what I am doing when I am on this forum, lol. Maintain good spinal hygiene throughout the day (see the book Back Mechanic if you arent familiar with this term).

Dont keep going down this same path. You may be able to manage it now, but down the road it can really impact your life (negatively).

These are things I do in my training. And I am someone who used to suffer with back pain. Good luck.

Regards

Eric

Don,

I am at the point where I feel I need to do a complete rebuild of my chassis. This is a problem more ubiquitous than strength training. It’s a quality of life problem.
As you are aware... quality of life can be a very multi-faceted affair...

I just thought of something worth asking. I’ve noticed that when I allow a slight bend in my back (emphasis on slight) my back feels much better at the end of a set of swings. Would this be allowable?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom