all posts post new thread

It's About Time - My Training Log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

cmac0351

Level 1 Valued Member
I am a 40 year old male with very little background in strength training. I have never really been strong or fit in my life.

I was fairly athletic as a teenager but tore my ACL when I was 15 while playing basketball and never got back into being active.

I weighed 211 lbs as of this morning, and I am down from 236 lbs a year ago, achieved through diet alone. I am tired of not being able to keep up with my kids and getting tired way too easily. I read Simple & Sinister while waiting for my kettlebells to arrive. I received 16 kg and 24 kg KBs yesterday and tried the S&S routine this morning for the first time.

The goblet squats during the warmup were hard for me because flexibility is an issue, but eventually I got down low without arching my back.

I did 10x10 sets of 2 hand swings with the 16 kg and didn't have much issue with that. I will try 1 hand tomorrow.

It all fell apart when I attempted TGU with 16 kg. It is apparently too heavy for me right now. Just pressing it from the floor was very difficult. Once I got my arm locked out, I couldn't hold it up without my arm shaking. I had been practicing the move for the last week or so with a shoe first and then a 10 lb weight plate, but this was too big of a jump. I purchased a 12 kg KB as soon as I was done trying and will keep working on form while I wait for the 12 kg to arrive.

I am able to press the 16 kb overhead while standing, so I may try just holding it overhead in the mean time. I also plan to keep working on form with lighter weight as well.

The great journey always starts from the first small step.
Great welcome to the forum, sir!

Stay Strong. Stay Hard. Get After It.

Thanks for the welcome!

This morning I went after 1 hand swings with 16 kg. I made it through 8 sets of 10 and then could feel my form slipping away and stopped there.

Waiting on the 12 kg to arrive before doing getups. I spent some time holding the 16 kg above my head to get used to what it feels like.

I like starting my day like this. It is a big accomplishment for me just to do anything. Looking forward to progress. Repeat until strong!

10/4

1 Hand Swings:
16 kg x 10 x 10

Tried to do them EMOM and made it through 7 sets passing the talk test and then had to slow down.

TGU:
Still practicing form, waiting for 12 kg KB to arrive. It should be here 10/6.

10/5

1 Hand Swings:
16 kg x 10 x 10 EMOM

Made it all the way through 10 sets EMOM today! I am looking forward to getting a 12 kg KB tomorrow for TGU.

10/11

1 Hand Swings:
16 kg x 10 x 10

TGU:
12 kg x 4 (2 per side)

I am feeling better about form on the swings.

I have struggled more in the TGU. I've had knee problems for a while, but I'm getting better at the movement and working through it. I want to build up to 5 per side by the end of the week, but I'll take what I can get right now.

10/13

1 Hand Swings:
16 kg x 10 x 10

TGU:
12 kg x 6 (3 per side)
16 kg x 1 half get up

I was feeling more confident on TGU so grabbed the 16 kg. It didn't make my arm shake like it did before, so went for it. I got up to my knees and just didn't feel great trying to stand up, but I will get there eventually.

10/18

1 Hand Swings:
16 kg x 10 x 10

TGU:
12 kg x 8 (4 per side)

I am getting to where I need much shorter breaks in between swing sets. I could pretty much do my left arm then right almost back to back and then take a short break after every other set of 10.

I am also getting the movement better for TGU going faster, and taking shorter breaks in between as well.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom