all posts post new thread

Off-Topic January "shred"

You can look at the body types various athletes have, e.g., marathon runners, middle distance runners, olympic weightlifters.

-S-
This is not a great suggestion. All of these groups you mention diet and train VERY hard to perform at elite levels.

I don't want to look like Lasha - should I not weightlift or use any of weightlifting's training methods?
1702264485222.png

I also don't want to look like Ryan Hall - should I not include running in my training?
1702264387806.png

Now I wouldn't mind looking like Alex Viada... but he runs and cycles and powerlifts ...

1702264659145.png

Last edited:
Ok got it.
Focus on diet foremost.
Keep some strength training in to preserve the muscle I have.

Is there any evidence one type of supplementary cardio/ conditioning is better than another for my type of goals.
-Swings snatches cleans till sweaty 3x week. Emom let's say.
Liss
-P90x??

As I haven't done much at all for months, anything might work I surmise. As long as I don't get too big or turn into Arnie overnight.
Do carries, 3 days 3 different types. Or 4 days. Light for long distance, heavy for short distance. Medium weight for, medium distance. Trap bar carries, waiters walks, double rack carries whatever you like the sound of.

This is a lazy suggestion.
I'm sorry you feel that way. Me and the things I've written and said have been called many things over the years, but this may be the first time I've heard "lazy."

Your examples are the exceptions, not the rule. Olympic weightlifters, except for the SHW (super heavyweights) like the one you pictured, tend to have very good body composition. We could say the same about powerlifting, too - I think it produces people who are strong and form tends, for many of us, to follow function.

I don't want to look like Lasha - should I not weightlift or use any of weightlifting's training methods?

See above.

I also don't want to look like Ryan Hall - should I not include running in my training?
Oh you haven't seen Ryan Hall lately... He lifts now, too
Lifting tends to produce a different body composition than not lifting. That's why I made the suggestion I did.

Now I wouldn't mind looking like Alex Viada... but he runs and cycles and powerlifts ...
You've chosen an exception where I chose to generalize here, too.

a month of fat loss and conditioning

... I'll stand by what I said. I am different, and look different, because I gave up running for strength training. Not even for a month with the goal of fat loss and conditioning would I substitute strength training for running. I thought that's what the OP was considering as one of his options, hence my reply.

-S-

I'm sorry you feel that way. Me and the things I've written and said have been called many things over the years, but this may be the first time I've heard "lazy."

Your examples are the exceptions, not the rule. Olympic weightlifters, except for the SHW (super heavyweights) like the one you pictured, tend to have very good body composition. We could say the same about powerlifting, too - I think it produces people who are strong and form tends, for many of us, to follow function.

See above.

Lifting tends to produce a different body composition than not lifting. That's why I made the suggestion I did.

You've chosen an exception where I chose to generalize here, too.

... I'll stand by what I said. I am different, and look different, because I gave up running for strength training. Not even for a month with the goal of fat loss and conditioning would I substitute strength training for running. I thought that's what the OP was considering as one of his options, hence my reply.

-S-
Happy to be a first!

We both agree that the OP shouldn't remove strength training. You suggested looking at athletes' bodies as a guide to picking conditioning. I used those exceptions to show that that is a horrible way of picking conditioning, let alone to guide our training. Even when you look at those athletes, you don't see how they're training, what strength training or conditioning they're doing, so even then it wouldn't help you pick how to train.

Running doesn't make you tiny, or skeletal, or weak anymore than lifting makes you fat. They both build performance qualities, and they both can be taken to extremes. They can also both be done in conjunction with good results - maybe not elite level results, but still good.

Looking at the bodies of elite athletes in order to pick a style of training or conditioning in the hopes of achieving that is silly and superficial, and I would say a lazy way of thinking.

"Form follows function" belongs with "survival of the fittest" - so misunderstood it belongs in the garbage, not our daily lexicon.

This is a lazy suggestion. All of these groups you mention diet and train VERY hard to perform at elite levels.
Looking at the bodies of elite athletes in order to pick a style of training or conditioning in the hopes of achieving that is silly and superficial, and I would say a lazy way of thinking.
The word "elite" isn't in anything I wrote; you've used it twice paraphrasing me. Your takeaway of what I said isn't the meaning I intended to convey. I was apparently unclear in my choice of words; I apologize. That said, we seem to be talking past each other so I'll bow out here and the last word is yours if you'd like it.

-S-

Ok thanks. I can take that advice. The people here have walked the walk. And that would fit my schedule well.

I guess I can't kettlebell-melt-fat away in one month, a good reality check. Unless I was willing to do kettlebell burn extreme again (14 lbs in a month if I remember correctly, Geoff is genius. But the tiredness and fasting hunger - nope!)
I can say that I did q&d 044 for a while this year along with a pressing program and I lost some inches off my waist pretty fast. I’m not overweight nor do I care about weight loss so I didn’t change my eating habits. I also don’t eat garbage either though. It is amazing how quickly that one exercise melts fat. If you aren’t accustomed to that exercise and want to give it a try, my recommendation would to be to start with swings then hand to hand swings, then mix in some 1/2 snatches.

Or a good drill is one arm swing, clean, then snatch. Hope you find a program you enjoy. 044 seems like it would be boring but to me I thought is was awesome especially after getting the results.

Back
Top Bottom