all posts post new thread

Off-Topic ***Jiu Jitsu guys!!!

Brandon Trahan

Level 5 Valued Member
Not excluding people who don’t do Jiu Jitsu but i enjoy tips from you as well, but what program (from any coach or SF) helped your vo2 on the mats? I’m not worried about the strength part, more so noticing WTHE when you roll.

I cant Stand Turkish get up’s (go figure being a Bjj athlete ), swings and OHS make my low back hurt and to this day don’t know why. But snatches don’t.

So with that being said , any programs that don’t have those movements helped your game a lot?

Brandon, for me it’s definitely been the KBSF program. Some weeks I’ll add in some z2 on the assault bike. Our head coach likes us to get our conditioning in on the mats and not via traditional roadwork type of approach. For me the KBSF is an amazing program.

Brandon, for me it’s definitely been the KBSF program. Some weeks I’ll add in some z2 on the assault bike. Our head coach likes us to get our conditioning in on the mats and not via traditional roadwork type of approach. For me the KBSF is an amazing program.
I have that (and an asinine Bjj fanatics library, dm if you want the login) and a good dude on here told me there was a pdf attached and i didn’t even know it. I gotta Read it….

I'm a bit of a broken record when it comes to this, but Justin's Novocaine protocol has changed my S&C for bjj. Covers all the bases, S&S, Q&D, A+A, LISS, and is set up in flexible blocks that I can move around my bjj/work/life schedule. As a "first responder" program, it also doesn't leave me so smoked that I can't be effective on the mats. I can do my S&S or Q&D, then go jump on the mats and feel fresh.

I've been running it for a year and my stength and cardio improved, won an IBJJF tournament at (Masters) Black Belt, and PR'd Murph last Memorial Day. I've got a few guys at my gym running the program and I encourage you to try it! Let me know if you have any specific jiujitsu related questions.

All-Around Training for the Tactical Athlete | StrongFirst

I've always had ridiculous cardio so YMMV. The program that made me feel most invincible was Viking Warrior Conditioning by Kenneth Jay. I only did the first part (up to 40 minutes of 15:15 intervals) but it was great. I felt like I could never get tired. Will probably revisit it at some point :)

Switching to exclusively breathing with the nose during all kinds of strength & conditioning as well as rolling was a great gamechanger in my experience. Trying to brath calmly between swing sets in S&S seemed to work well (also when injuries prevented me from running), and applying some breath holds during running (don't dop too much of that nowadays) also worked efficiently.

Back
Top Bottom