all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Joe Rogan and Pavel on the Soviet Weightlifting System | Explained

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I will respectfully submit that the speaker should attend PlanStrong. The comment that, in the Joe Rogan interview, Pavel doesn't really explain variable loading that well - I'll agree, but I think that's because he didn't want to essentially teach PS during an interview.

PS is rather the opposite of the autoregulation he speaks of. Every PS plan is highly specific. In fact, it is the lack of the ability to autoregulate that has kept me from doing more PS programs.

These things are my understanding - anyone who has attended PS (I've been twice so far) is welcomed to disagree.

-S-

PS is rather the opposite of the autoregulation he speaks of. Every PS plan is highly specific. In fact, it is the lack of the ability to autoregulate that has kept me from doing more PS programs.

Yeah I noticed that discrepancy too. PS is randomizing and decoupling intensity and volume, irrespective of how you feel that day. Like the dice roll, within a given range. (I have not been to Plan Strong, but it's been in some blog articles and principles taught to some degree at Strong Endurance and Second Wind).

But what do you mean by "lack of the ability to autoregulate that has kept me from doing more PS programs"? It seems that since autoregulation is not part of it, that shouldn't matter.

But what do you mean by "lack of the ability to autoregulate that has kept me from doing more PS programs"? It seems that since autoregulation is not part of it, that shouldn't matter.
I've written PS programs for myself and found them too hard to follow. Hard to follow, for me, means that I don't want to have a week that's very high in volume or intensity when, e.g., I've got two extra rehearsals and a performance in a particular week.

Now, that said, I also don't think I've written enough PS programs to have a good feeling for how to adapt them to myself and my life - I think it can be done better by someone more familiar with the programming who would ask me better questions than I asked myself, and design something for me better than I did. So maybe my complaint isn't with PS style programming, it's with my own ability to write PS programs. In truth, I think it's some of both.

It's way cool stuff - you'd enjoy going.

-S-

I've written PS programs for myself and found them too hard to follow.

I attended the 2016 (or 2017, I forget) PlanStrong in Pittsburgh. I have had success making a few programs for others. I have also had success making some for myself with kbells. I failed on one program for myself though. I tried doing the the 3 powerlifts and I just couldn't handle it, it was too much. And I even greatly reduced the volume/intensity. For example, I am just not capable of doing 92.5% intensity so often. Heck, even 85% intensity is really hard for me (which showed up in my programming almost every training day). It requires another mental gear shift that I am not able to transition to on a whim and often, I have to build up to it.

But conversely... I had a buddy do one of my Planstrong programs. He is an intermediate lifter. He had huge success! So much so that I believe he ended up taking one of the Planstrong classes. Also, unbeknownst to me, his roommate also did the program along side him (his roommate was a new lifter). He also did very well.

It is on my to do list to do a PS program at some point. Just need to get to s point in my life when I can be more focused in my approach. As opposed to spinning so many plates simultaneously.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom