all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Judo once a week for older guy?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

somanaut

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi, I was wondering if any of you had some thoughts on the following:

Question:
Would Judo once a week + KB/BW training be a bad idea for a 39 year old male?
Would S&S 4-5 days a week somewhat shield me from possible injuries and low adaptation to Judo, since it's only once a week?

Info:
178 cm, 65 kg.
Have completed S&S part simple last year, currently focused on OAOLPU.

Injuries:
Possible minor fracture (3-4 years ago) on right carpals laterally and posterior. No real pain. But wrist does sometimes "click".
Non-specific occasional back pain (often when sitting for too long in chairs), not a fan of back bends.

Sport experience:
Kendo in my 20's.
Ashtanga yoga in my 30's.

Intent:
Not looking to compete.
Miss the sparring of kendo.
Introvert nature, so looking to socialize with the aid of an activity.
Find the bodymechanics of Judo interesting.

Would S&S 4-5 days a week somewhat shield me from possible injuries and low adaptation to Judo, since it's only once a week?
We would need a crystal ball to answer that one. I think it does help the odds but it's really impossible to know. I'd be sure to go to class completely rested, and also be rested sufficiently after class before the next S&S session.

-S-

Hello,

Would Judo once a week + KB/BW training be a bad idea for a 39 year old male?
No would not be a bad idea IMO.

Possible minor fracture (3-4 years ago) on right carpals laterally and posterior. No real pain. But wrist does sometimes "click".
Non-specific occasional back pain (often when sitting for too long in chairs), not a fan of back bends.
Assuming that, do not push your self to hard and see a physio to be sure.

You will have to strictly manage recovery, that is all. Do not do kb and judo the same day. As soon as you feel pain, stretch or rest.

Kind regards,

Pet'

We would need a crystal ball to answer that one. I think it does help the odds but it's really impossible to know. I'd be sure to go to class completely rested, and also be rested sufficiently after class before the next S&S session.

-S-
Thanks Steve. I know that it's impossible to say wether or not it can work. But was wondering if it was a bad idea even in theory. I myself am not a supporter of ex. running only once a week, since as far as I understand, the joints will not adapt to the activity. Unless we are talking about very otherwise strong and fit people (which I am not).

Hello,

No would not be a bad idea IMO.

Assuming that, do not push your self to hard and see a physio to be sure.

You will have to strictly manage recovery, that is all. Do not do kb and judo the same day. As soon as you feel pain, stretch or rest.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thanks Pet. I don't trust the physios/chiros in my area, or atleast haven't found one I trust yet. There is an osteopath nearby that I haven't talked to yet. Could try him.
Wasn't planning on KB/BW on the same as Judo. And will be taking it very easy. Mainly it's just to get out more, and to do something that isn't super serious for me. Adult playtime I guess.

May I suggest traditional Ju-Jitsu as an alternative option. You will get the same type of body mechanics which interest you as well as meeting your other requirements. As a point - I have often found that Judo clubs are not always accommodating to people who do not wish to compete whereas ju-jitsu is available to do for technique sake alone. I hold dan grades in both so have no particular flag to fly I just offer this as my opinion from experience. Good luck whatever path you choose.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom