all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Jump rope vs LSD aerobics

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GeoffreyLevens

Level 6 Valued Member
Is is possible to jump rope and slow enough pace for it to be a sub for easy running or fast walking?

I used to enjoy some rope work before my knees started complaining years ago and now my knees seem to be happy again with running and jumping so...just looking for variety.

@GeoffreyLevens
I use jump rope a lot, but I don't think I can run it slow enough for true LSD work.

A 40 minute bout is mighty taxing. Last time I used a HR monitor the lowest I could consistently keep HR was about 140-145, whereas at my age and condition a Maffetone number might be about 130 or so.

Possible, esp with a light cord.

Hello,

I do jumping rope everyday, both as a part of my home routine, but also during the boxing sessions.

Before, I used to do very long sessions (up to 1 hour), with normal breathing, through the mouth. Doing so, I agree with @North Coast Miller : it can be taxing.

Nonetheless, jumping rope with nasal breathing only work. Indeed, it will oblige you to slow down the pace.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thank you both. I'll have to experiment. Was thinking for really foul weather days... worst case I could do some very low intensity intervals. I don't have a rope (about to order one) so just now was jumping same way with no rope. I found I could do a couple minutes and stay Maffetone and then HR would start to climb. And that's at the start; I only did about 5 minutes total (my calves were starting to talk back). If I continued for 15 or 30 minutes, intervals would likely get shorter. But over time of regular practice I imagine that would change some.

Last edited:
Hello,

On an easy pace, two minutes on, 1 minute off (or performing another exercise (stretching, breathing...)) may help you to build volume.

Kind regards,

Pet'

You could try "fast moving feet" which was introduced in the third month of physical therapy for my knee replacement. This was rapid and random moving around the floor on the balls of my feet. It will get your heart rate up quickly.

My PT program was one minute of exercise and one minute of active rest, walking around and shadow boxing, for three rounds. This was for strength and coordination as every session ended with twenty minutes on a ergo-cycle at my Maffetone rate. For LSD you can slowdown for continues movement.

Boosh32, thanks. Or I could just jump rope and run.
Actually pretty much what I did yesterday. Took a day off from iron of all sorts, jumped around for about 5 minutes, then went for a run/walk/run/walk. Patellar tendon tells me I need build up slowly on this.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom