all posts post new thread

Old Forum Just Sayin'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jaskot123

Level 2 Valued Member
" In the glory days of the Battle of Valhalla, not having enough power-endurance meant certain death.  Being Strong is great, but without power-endurance, it doesn't mean anything in life.  Build power-endurance the Viking Warrior way, and you will prevail!"

Quotes from Kenneth Jay in "Viking Warrior Conditioning"

again... Just Sayin'

SFG KB work includes power-endurance work (swings and snatches anyone)- Just sayin'

Instructors, tell us the truth.  Is it really "Mobility first -- but c'mon people, get it over with already!"

You know Valhalla is a myth, right? Also, Vikings were actually much more merchants (traveling salesman really) than warriors.

Matt, I don't fully understand your point, but I will say for myself personally, I find the best way to develop real mobility is to develop strength.

"Traveling Salesman Conditioning"

Jason, that kills me.  I totally agree with you on strength/mobility.  I was just thinking of that Gray Cook quote "Don't add strength to dysfunction."  I imagine all the instructors do at least some movement screen on people before loading them up.  Just something tedious that has to be done before you get to the good stuff.

I meant absolutely nothing by this quote.  It sounds like some people on here are attacking what I wrote or taking offense to it.  Relax!  Again, I was just sayin'.  I wasn't bashing anything or anyone.  I just finished reading VWC and I liked the quote.. That's all.

Mark Rippetoe's "Cardio" article that was linked here by somebody had a useful take on "all of this", as Dan John might say. Basically, if the task is to lift 75-pound bales of hay onto a trailer, and you can't lift a 75-pound bale, it really doesn't mean jack squat that you COULDA thrown 6,000 bales had they only weighed 35 pounds.

Paraphrasing Pavel: before you need your strength to endure, you need your strength.

By gaining strength, you improve your power endurance. And not the other way around. Thaught I had read that somewhere...

Comparing power endurance and strength is not absolute I think. They're slightly different goals. It really depends on your goals.

Once again the one dimensional aspect of internet forum communication

If you post something be sure your intent is clear and the phrase "just sayin" is typically a "challenge" phrase (at lease that is how I interpret it)

If you go back and reread the post I think you will see the intent was unclear  and resulted in the variety of posts received.

BTW - Rob's response was classic and yes increasing strength will increase endurance but not vice versa and screening and good movement are assumed (at least by me)

and I'm not 100% sure but I can't remember the last time traveling salesmen pillaged and "took over" the area they were trying to sell to...

Brett, turning and walking away to the next sales prospect is a relatively recent technique. Previously, "no thanks" or a door slammed in a salesman's face resulted in the razing of the neighborhood.

Again, To all those who took my origonal post the wrong way; I offer my honest and sincere apologies. I did not want it come off as a challenge or anything of that nature. I meant no disrespect to anyone or anything associated with the StrongFirst community.

Matt

Read the last part of Pavel's statement:
"Until one becomes “entry level strong,” e.g., a strict bodyweight military press for men or strict pull-ups for women, no priority other than strength can be justified for a healthy athlete."

The key words are "healthy athlete". Yes if one is a healthy athlete, which to me reads having adequate mobility/flexibility/ stability then Strength is the most important quality.

Obviously if one is not  a healthy athlete then the requisite weak link should be addressed first and the person should get that attribute STRONGER ,lol .

So it's still Strength First.

Jaskot, the VWC quote and mention of the Mark Rippetoe article on cardio do warrant serious discussion, IMHO.  I don't know if that's what you wanted in this thread, but I'll offer brief reply:

Strength training is the most productive use of my time.  I'd be all for having better strength-endurance if I didn't have anything else to do all day.   Strength and mobility training make everything about the rest of my life better:  I sit straighter, I walk better, my body composition improves - all things that matter to me because they make the rest of my life better.

In other words, much as I'd like to be in ideal condition for a Viking or other attack, I'm not - but I'm very, very happy with the condition I'm in.  I typically do exactly 1  set of kettlebell swings most days at the end of my strength workouts.  Lately, it's been 1 set of 1-arm, 28 kg swings.  I did 10L+10R in about 30 seconds two days ago.  (I take the weekends off.)  The law of diminishing returns applies here - doing 2 sets isn't going to double my strength-endurance so I stick with a single set or some other protocol that keeps me in the 30-seconds to 2 minute range - that's enough for me, especially when done at the end of a strength workout.

Of course, your mileage may vary, and if strength-endurance training works for you, then by all means, go for it, and do a few swings or snatches for me while you're at it. :)

-S-

"and I’m not 100% sure but I can’t remember the last time traveling salesmen pillaged and “took over” the area they were trying to sell to…"

Brett, America??

;))

I think it was my favorite deconstructionist philosopher -- Steve Baccari -- who pointed out that you can't have strength endurance until you're actually strong.

I'm not opposed to strength training.  I love lifting heavy.  The heaviest bell I own is a 32, and I usually get a healthy dose of 350x swings 2x a week.  I also love heavy Back Squats, Front Squats, and Deads.  I have set PRs in all of these lifts recently.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom