all posts post new thread

Old Forum KB for size and strength - t-nation article

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
It's like saying you need squats and deadlifts to gain size and strength. Everyone knows that.

A bigger poundage leads to greater gains. He could've said how to implement double kettlebells to reach the goal of size and strength. It's rather hollow

I agree. Pretty much what Pavel, Dan, and Geoff have been saying for awhile.

Thanks Matt, didn't realise it was an old article, came up on my twitter feed so I shared it. Agree on the point about lack of references in the article.

The author talks about how double 24 front squats smoke him when he had been squatting much heavier weights with a barbell.  That testifies to the difficulty of double kettlebell front squats, but the difficulty would be due to the awkward way of supporting the bells in front of the body.  how would leg size and strength from kettlebell front squats be comparable to barbell squats?

"how would leg size and strength from kettlebell front squats be comparable to barbell squats?"

It wouldn't be really.It's the same but different .A barbell can be locked it close to your neck and fit pretty securely.The kettlebells are set in the rack position where the weight slightly lower and out away from the body compared to the barbell.The heavier the KB's the more the weight leverage is away from your upper body.So it is even more challenging to maintain the upright position while squatting.Some have said this is similar to a high zercher squat or a safety squat bar squat.KB FS are very unforgiving in the hole.If you lose tension and don't maintain an upright position you will dump them.It forces you even more than a barbell to stay upright.The other difference is that you have to be able to clean double KB's.When getting heavier this is sometimes a challenge.If you do sets of ten with your KB's i guarentee you will feel your quads getting worked as well as the midsection and upper and lower back.If they are good enough for powerlifter Donnie Thompson i think is a great testament to the FS effectivness.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom