all posts post new thread

Old Forum KB press problem > winging scapula

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Eric Killin

Level 1 Valued Member
I have been working with kettlebells for a few years now, but one thing has always plagued me, a winging scapula in the racked position.  It gets worse as the bell gets heavier.  In the top position my scap position is fine but I cannot seem to get it in the racked position.  Also, it is far worse on my right side compared to the left.

When I do bottoms up presses it seems to get better but my focus right now is the ETK program and my shoulders can only handle so much with pressing three days a week so adding in bottoms up presses as a warm up is as far as I have gone for implementation.

I have played around with various corrective exercises that don't seem to cut it.   Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I tried that today before my arm bars - what a difference! And I have been doing arm bars for years. Great video.

Here is a vid from Super D.  Donnie Thompson.  It's got more stuff from a couple years ago including that KB shoulder drill Kelly shows.  Great for setting that shoulder back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFrXXc3spaM#t=140

Scott and Michael,

Thank you both so much for the videos they both look very promising and I can't wait to try them out tomorrow prior to my presses!! I will comment again after tomorrow's workout and let you know how it goes.

Thanks guys

I did both the band work and the K Star work for my shoulders and the winging was virtually gone today. I couldn't believe how simple and easy the fix was. These will be staples of my warm ups prior to pressing from now on.

Thanks so again for your responses guys I was frustrated with it for quite some time!  My presses also felt a lot stronger than they have in the past few weeks which I thought was pretty interesting as well.  Anyways, I hope anyone who has this problem with themselves or a client checks out your posts so they can fix the ailing winging scapula!

Still thinking about the video that Scott posted.  I wonder if TGU's does the same thing except in different planes?

Jeffrey,

After reading your question I'm going to have to say no. First off, TGU's require the shoulder complex to stabilize in many different planes, which is awesome and makes it such a unique exercise. However,  if the shoulder complex is not in a proper position prior to performing that exercise, dysfunction will occur throughout the movement. Thus, you would be reinforcing those bad mechanics by doing a TGU  under those circumstances.

By simply performing the exercises provided in those two videos it could reset the shoulder complex to a more neutral position, especially under load. Now, I'm not saying those videos are the fix for everyone, but it's possible that they could help , and they both definitely helped me with my winging scapula. After using those as a warm up, my presses not only feel more fluid but they actually feel much stronger (And my scap isn't sticking out!!)

Again, everyone is different so mechanics and dysfunctions will vary from person to person. So find the problem and perhaps one of those videos can help fix the issue as it did for me. Once mechanics are proper the TGU will absolutely make the shoulder complex stabilize in many different planes of motion. I hope this helps and if I'm wrong in any way please correct me!

Cheers

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom