all posts post new thread

Old Forum KB Strong cycle question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

tmorrissey42

Level 1 Valued Member
I have a question about KB Strong:

I have done the "strong" program, and right now I am doing "the short course" and combining it with the "one" program using 24kg bells.

I will complete that cycle in three weeks, and want to know if it anyone can recommend a low volume program that I could do for a month or so, to give my shoulders a bit of a break.

I was thinking about doing "The Wolf" or "You Don't Know Squat 2.0", from MKM.  I think they are good programs that don't concentrate on pressing.

Any feedback or alternative ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Tim Morrissey Jr.

My goal is to "own" the 32kg bells, but I have been doing the high volume pressing in KB Strong for the last 12 weeks, and by the time I am done, it will be 15 weeks straight.

I want to take about a month and concentrate on my lower body, to give my shoulders a rest, while still maintaining strength and conditioning I have gained from KB Strong.

After that I plan on doing Strong again with 32's.

I'd do an Easy Strength cycle and probably HSPUs or HSPU progressions (if you still can't do HSPUs) and then go back to another round of Strong.

Timothy-  I've been working "Strong!" combined with the "One" for a couple weeks now.  Wow, "One" is kicking my butt.  I got derailed at 30:30 with a 16kg and 20kg for double swings.  And currently backing up a few steps.  Working with 2x's24kg seems really far off for me.

In terms of your question, I like body weight stuff at times for a big change of pace.  Either Convict Conditioning type work or lately Original Strength.  Leopard Crawls work the shoulders, but in a different way than KB's.  Bridging, per Paul Wade's way in the book, feels way different to me than most other drills.

Tim, I did "The Wolf" last Aug-Sep. For reference I used 2x20 kilo bells and my max press (one-time, one-day, ever) was 36. When I started The Wolf, I was having difficulty pressing the 32. That's all just for background. As you said, The Wolf is very DFSQ intensive. It's also very, very hard. It WILL put meat on your whole body if you eat. I ate. I put on about 12 pounds. No, I'm mot delusional enough to think it's all muscle. But most of it is. Stuff that was hard/borderline impossible at the beginning of the program is suddenly doable in the middle and the end.

Now, for the "WTH?!!?" Moments:  about 2/3 of the way through The Wolf, I was just messing around and bottoms-up cleaned a 24. So I pressed it. PR. Huh.... So I chalked-up and bottoms-up cleaned two 24s and squatted them like that pic of Brett Jones in "Easy Strength". PR - Cool. Then I walked over to my 32s and cleaned and pressed both of them. Another PR - even cooler. Wild experience. Serious pressing strength increase from a heavy dose of double front squats.

Then, a couple times at my SFG in (...ahem...) challenging moments it popped into my head "this still isn't as hard as The Wolf".

If you Wolf it up, you'll add a bunch of muscle and stamina. Plus you'll work on putting yourself fully together with the stabilization challenge of the "moving rack" aka DFSQ. So, when you return to Strong! you'll have a bunch of stored up potential ready to rock - I followed The Wolf with Strong! with double 32s!

There are already some great suggestions but to offer yet another option, you could do either STRONG or Short Course with Double Front Squat.

Timothy,

All great comments.

I favor great contrasts in training. So either low, low volume like Easy Strength or some kind of complex where the shoulders/press aren't overly stressed, like "The Wolf" as Bill mentioned.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone... I still have a few weeks before I finish the short course, but right now I am leaning towards the wolf.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

It'll be great to hear how you get on with Wolf, please keep us posted.

I would have liked to give it a try, especially after reading Bill's post, as this week I'll be finishing 4 months of Strong and Short Course with a pair of 20kg. However, I need to return the 20kg bells and don't think I can manage Wolf with 24s just yet.

Question: if I decide to choose "you don't know squat 2.0" over "wolf" am I losing any benefit?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom