all posts post new thread

Kettlebell KB STRONG vs THE GIANT for Hypertrophy

Just to maintain my swings, maybe just do a few sets after the regular kb strong workout. And not a full 30 minutes.
I don't think there'd be any issues doing that, unless you turn it into a hard conditioning session. Geoff also lays out a Strong-Swing-Off-Strong-Swing-Off-Off pattern that can work well, if you are OK with slower progress but more conditioning, and that also mirrors a "schedule" he has used in other programs (and that I've used multiple times without issues).

Going to play devils advocate here.. I don’t feel either of these programs are really that good for hypertrophy - I should state this is from my
Experience ONLY. I recently completed The Giant 1.0,1.1 and 1.2 and I 100% progressed and got more and more reps each week. However I noticed zero muscle gain despite the fact I was getting stronger. During this time I was also getting around 200g protein a day (6ft 1 at 87kg). I also completed Strong Phase 1 and Phase 2 slow and steady and didn’t see any gains either (however at this time my diet was nowhere near in check).

That’s not to say the programs didn’t work as I did get stronger and improve my numbers however I did not see any hypertrophy unfortunately

Going to play devils advocate here.. I don’t feel either of these programs are really that good for hypertrophy - I should state this is from my
Experience ONLY. I recently completed The Giant 1.0,1.1 and 1.2 and I 100% progressed and got more and more reps each week. However I noticed zero muscle gain despite the fact I was getting stronger. During this time I was also getting around 200g protein a day (6ft 1 at 87kg). I also completed Strong Phase 1 and Phase 2 slow and steady and didn’t see any gains either (however at this time my diet was nowhere near in check).

That’s not to say the programs didn’t work as I did get stronger and improve my numbers however I did not see any hypertrophy unfortunately
You were tracking protein. Were you also tracking calories and or weight?

You were tracking protein. Were you also tracking calories and or weight?
Yes sir I was. Should have stated that. I was aroujdn
Maintenance plus 200 calories or so: nothing major so I wasn’t expecting massive changes, but at least something

Yes sir I was. Should have stated that. I was aroujdn
Maintenance plus 200 calories or so: nothing major so I wasn’t expecting massive changes, but at least something
Did your weight change at all? Did you take any before/after measurements or pictures?

KBs are great for a lot of things-total body strength, conditioning, endurance, but I've always wondered if muscles can recover to grow. I mean those programs that have such a high volume and such a frequency that they work the same muscles. Even if there is hypertrophy, in my opinion, it is up to a certain threshold.

You may need a bit more calories, for your next mass attempt, unless you’ve also used a similar surplus and gotten good results using other programs.
I do slightly agree but the for me the volume of STRONG is too low for hypertrophy and cleans are not a good mass builder. I thought the giant would have given better results as I was doing around 100 reps a session but still not what I was hoping for. I feel if I add too many extra calories I would mostly get fat without much muscle gain. Having the press as your only grind doesn’t feel like enough for too many extra calories

I do slightly agree but the for me the volume of STRONG is too low for hypertrophy and cleans are not a good mass builder. I thought the giant would have given better results as I was doing around 100 reps a session but still not what I was hoping for. I feel if I add too many extra calories I would mostly get fat without much muscle gain. Having the press as your only grind doesn’t feel like enough for too many extra calories
Oh I’m not trying to convince you your experience was “wrong,” just collecting “data” to see if perhaps there was a mismatch.

You may have underbelled, but the volume should also have equaled out OK. What have you done to successfully add mass?

Oh I’m not trying to convince you your experience was “wrong,” just collecting “data” to see if perhaps there was a mismatch.

You may have underbelled, but the volume should also have equaled out OK. What have you done to successfully add mass?
Oh no I didn’t think you was haha it’s hard to get the full story just from an internet post so I fully understand! Unfortunately I have been unsuccessful since Covid and the gyms shut. I have tried kettlebells for a couple years now
With little success, however a lot of that is my inconsistencies and lack of discipline. That’s I finally took it seriously with the giant and that’s why I was a little gutted with the outcome. The bells were my 10rm as stated by Geoff. Currently struggling to find my next program haha

Oh no I didn’t think you was haha it’s hard to get the full story just from an internet post so I fully understand! Unfortunately I have been unsuccessful since Covid and the gyms shut. I have tried kettlebells for a couple years now
With little success, however a lot of that is my inconsistencies and lack of discipline. That’s I finally took it seriously with the giant and that’s why I was a little gutted with the outcome. The bells were my 10rm as stated by Geoff. Currently struggling to find my next program haha
Sounds good. Feel free to PM if you ever need help!

What RM did you use for Strong? I thought phase 2 was plenty of volume with a 5RM.

My weight didn’t really change doing Strong, but I’m an inconsistent eater. I can eat a huge meal no problem but I’m slowly working out that I don’t do it 3x a day every day for months. So I “think” I’m eating lots, but if i have a huge lunch, I don’t eat much for dinner etc, so calories stay pretty much maintenance.

Hence, my weight pretty much stays the same.

I did Boring But Big a few years ago. Lots of weight lifted, and lots of food eaten. It was 3000 cals as well as smoothies muffins etc. It was a challenge but in less than a year I put 11kg on. Mostly fat but I did grow some muscle on my injured leg. Job done

No disrespect is intended at all, please believe me. But in reality, maybe you didn't train with a heavy enough pair of bells. 100 reps was a number I'd never be able to get....just the way I'm wired! 60 in 30 was a great number for me!

I did 100 reps when I did the 10x10 with the 32s and it took me one hour! This was what Geoff challenged me with way back when when I said I wanted to try the Giant as a double bell program!

My point is maybe try a heavier combo and go through the 1.0, 1.1, 1.2. etc.

Again, with respect, although the volume isn't overly high with Strong, phase 2, the intensity of effort is quite high (another muscle growth driver).

No disrespect is intended at all, please believe me. But in reality, maybe you didn't train with a heavy enough pair of bells. 100 reps was a number I'd never be able to get....just the way I'm wired! 60 in 30 was a great number for me!

I did 100 reps when I did the 10x10 with the 32s and it took me one hour! This was what Geoff challenged me with way back when when I said I wanted to try the Giant as a double bell program!

My point is maybe try a heavier combo and go through the 1.0, 1.1, 1.2. etc.
Understand what you are saying but I used my 10rm as requested. Not sure I can do much else there? Again I may be the anomaly in this I just didn’t see the results I was hoping

I hit 100 reps in 30 minutes with the 30kgs in the sets of four, they were my 10RM.

Probably got the most comments on my muscles at any point in my life with the 30s as well.
I’m glad mate that’s great for you! I didn’t get the same results but as I say this is just my experience so I’m not criticising anyone/anything

Back
Top Bottom