all posts post new thread

Old Forum Kbells and Deadlifts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Grims59

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello all,

I plan on doing my first Tactical Strength Challenge this year and am looking into starting the Kbells and Deadlifts program. I have been working on the S&S lately and am wondering how to go about keeping that in my program. In Kbells and Deadlifts blog post, Pavel says to alternate swings and squats after the deadlift practice session. The range on swings was 100-150 rep. Would S&S fit in after the deadlift practice since it is in the 100 rep range or should I keep it separate and do S&S 2 days out of the week and just do kbell front squats after the deadlift practice. I am not trying to change any of these programs, but just looking for some direction on what I should do. I appreciate any input.

If your plan is to compete, then program accordingly. Where are your numbers now? Where do you want to be? What's the time frame. Let me say this, and take it the context it's meant. Many of the programs here and from Pavel before are great for building a solid base level of strength that is brought up overtime with volume and repetition. look onto his other works to grasp how to peak for competition. Your gonna have to reverse engineer from the competition so you can overreach, adapt then peak. So give all the details, and let's make a plan.

I have been working on the 5/3/1 program and my last set on Thursday was for 1 or more and I did 6 comfortable reps at 325. I would like to get to a max around 425-450  for the competition, which is in April(19th I believe). I haven't gotten a true 1 rep max but just been slowly working up with weight. I had an estimated max of 370 for this previous cycle on dlifts.

First  program from http://www.strongfirst.com/strongfirst-on-5x5/ pushed my DL nicely.  I wouldn't be surprised if it and S&S fit together well. It's on my plan to try this year :)

I did read that one today as well. It does seem like it would fit nicely. I may have to give it a shot. Thanks for the response.

That's a solid pull, and you have enough time to drive the deadlift up. your training max should be close to 400 by then which is good. When was the last time you worked up to a good single after your 5/3/1 sets?  one idea is go to 2x week traing and run 2 cycles back to back. so 6 weeks then Deload on 7th. Then 6 weeks deload, should put you at meet right?

Eric, 325x5 probably is good for 365x1.  You should be able to take it to 405 by April, to be on the conservative side.  There are many ways to approach your training for TSC.  Look up my blog about kettlebells plus deadlifts.  You could use the same template—and add snatches to both days.

Pavel, thank you for the response. I shall get started this week with that. I seek to shoot for the top 10. I am looking to get close to a 500 lb pull by the end of the year and look forward to that journey. The road to strength is a fun one. Thanks again for your input.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom