all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Keeping healthy functional past age 60.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Since reading this thread earlier and going to my local Lowes I couldn't help notice just how many people in their 70's had canes, walkers and those damn scooters. Good reminder not to give in and give up.

Which one you would prefer when you are really old. Big glutes as a result of banded hip Bridges ? Or strong glutes to do 1xBW deadlift but smaller glutes than the hip bridge guy? (No pun intended, I am currently on a hypertrophy cycle and have hip bridges in my current program)

I have never seen a decrepit oldrr person with notable glutes, they’re the first thing to go.

For me being a 60+ and exercising has been quite frustrating - a bit like a kid on a bike - "look Mum no hands,......... look Mum no teeth"

Over the last couple of years I've had a few variations on the following, just insert a different exercise and the appropriate body part
Wheeeee !! I can do pullups now ....... lets see how many ............. oh gosh why have I got sore elbows ?

As pointed out by a few people recently the big take home lesson has been "Go Steady, don't hurt yourself"" However it can take a while to learn that lesson.

I have wondered for a while how much doing heavy carries might affect aging?

Humans are designed to lift things and our bodies can adjust so we can keep lifting things. The most normal natural lift would be carrying objects. Our ancestors would have spent a chunk of each day chopping and carrying wood and hauling water. I can't help but speculate (pure layman's speculation) that carries would be a natural deterrent for aging.

I have an observation about carries. This is sth Dan John mentions regularly.

It is a lift that “improves” very fast. This alone made me think that carry’s are very fundamental to build strength. You might not need them that much if you DL regularly but especially if you don’t train DL’s, I think carries are quite important.

For me being a 60+ and exercising has been quite frustrating - a bit like a kid on a bike - "look Mum no hands,......... look Mum no teeth"

Over the last couple of years I've had a few variations on the following, just insert a different exercise and the appropriate body part
Wheeeee !! I can do pullups now ....... lets see how many ............. oh gosh why have I got sore elbows ?

As pointed out by a few people recently the big take home lesson has been "Go Steady, don't hurt yourself"" However it can take a while to learn that lesson.
Hi @BillSteamshovel ; your training log shows a lot higher weights/progressions than mine, congratulations. Were you always strength training regularly? Do you get injured often lately than in past or did you give a long break at some point?

Ps: I hope my questions are not too personal, just trying to understand why you seem a bit unsatisfied seemingly quite good fitness level for any age not only your age.

From personal experience: about 2yrs ago I caught up with a close friends parents that I hadn’t seen for awhile. I’m considered the fourth son to them & they mean the world to me, they took me in as a teenager when I needed it the most.
Anyway the dad left me shattered. He was 72 at the time & in a bad way. Too scared to walk down the street incase he fell over & couldn’t get up. Very hunched over, very frail looking, depressed & defeated. He was always active but the year before he’d had a prostate operation & never recovered.
Long story short the next day I gave the original strength book & dvd. Spent some time going through the daily 10min resets with him so he got the general idea. Didn’t see him for 6mths, but when I did I had tears. He was a completely new man. Standing bolt upright & confident. Doing resets 2/3 times a day. Back jogging which he always loved. I was blown away. Gave him a kettlebell to deadlift & some 1pound Indian clubs to swing. Today he’s an active 74 years young, exercises everyday & spreading the OS magic to his remaining living friends hoping to add years to their life.
Original Strength helps me with a few aches n pains & plays a part in my mobility work. But personally I think it’s real magic is the older generation. I seen it with my own eyes.
Wow, that is an amazing story! It is so wonderful to hear how Original Strength has positively impacted your friend's father. I am glad that he has been able to gain back his mobility and confidence through the exercises. It is incredible to see the power of exercise in reversing the effects of aging. Thank you for sharing your story

Good books on keeping joints healthy.

Rebuilding Milo and Built from Broken are two good books on prehab or corrective exercises worth a look at. Both have a focus on strengthening while increasing mobility. There are specific assessments especially in the Milo book. The explanation of the sources of pain and its relationship to strength training is good in the Built from Broken book. I stopped overhead pressing for a bit and am working on shoulder and thoratic mobility as I did not pass some assessments. As Grey Cook said, don't load dysfunction.

Another good one for shoulder health is the Jerk test from Geoff Neupert. Hinge your knees and put your hands overhead. Are they in front of your neck? Then you have work to do before attempting the clean and jerk. Another one is to grab a dowel and see if you can get into the overhead squat position without arching your back as compensation. Both books have sections on all joint areas especially back pain.

Thanks to a great physiotherapist who visited a relative in their home I can assure everyone that anyone who spends a week or more flat on their back in a hospital bed needs a specific exercise regime to regain lost movement patterns. She says she sees it all the time with her elderly patients.

I have wondered for a while how much doing heavy carries might affect aging?

Humans are designed to lift things and our bodies can adjust so we can keep lifting things. The most normal natural lift would be carrying objects. Our ancestors would have spent a chunk of each day chopping and carrying wood and hauling water. I can't help but speculate (pure layman's speculation) that carries would be a natural deterrent for aging.

It sure feels that way. It's been a great addition for me.

From personal experience: about 2yrs ago I caught up with a close friends parents that I hadn’t seen for awhile. I’m considered the fourth son to them & they mean the world to me, they took me in as a teenager when I needed it the most.
Anyway the dad left me shattered. He was 72 at the time & in a bad way. Too scared to walk down the street incase he fell over & couldn’t get up. Very hunched over, very frail looking, depressed & defeated. He was always active but the year before he’d had a prostate operation & never recovered.
Long story short the next day I gave the original strength book & dvd. Spent some time going through the daily 10min resets with him so he got the general idea. Didn’t see him for 6mths, but when I did I had tears. He was a completely new man. Standing bolt upright & confident. Doing resets 2/3 times a day. Back jogging which he always loved. I was blown away. Gave him a kettlebell to deadlift & some 1pound Indian clubs to swing. Today he’s an active 74 years young, exercises everyday & spreading the OS magic to his remaining living friends hoping to add years to their life.
Original Strength helps me with a few aches n pains & plays a part in my mobility work. But personally I think it’s real magic is the older generation. I seen it with my own eyes.
Beautiful. I wish I could get my in-laws to show some interest.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom