all posts post new thread

Old Forum kettlebel hard or fluid style, differences and opinions.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

alpy

First Post
Hi guys,

I would like to ask Mr Pavel if he could explain and develop on the two styles of kettlebell lifting, hard style and fluid style. Differences, advantages and disadvantages etc.

Thank you

ap

fluid/GS/Girvoy style is all about efficiency. Use as little energy as possible to complete the lift. This is because they are trying to do as many reps as possible within a specified timelimit.

I believe the essence of hardstyle is the ‘Kime’ technique, which is an all-out effort during every repetition.

A hardstyle swing demands maximally explosive individual reps-not maximum rpm(S&S pg 31)

Start reading S&S on page 51. Hardstyle is about training as if on the battlefield. One strike/One kill. The book states that within reason (using hardstyle) you can make the weight as “heavy” as you want by explosively accelerating it.
You essentially can get more "bang for the buck" because the harder you accelerate the bell the harder the workout becomes using the same weight.

I won’t go into anymore detail but hardstyle is explained well starting on page 55.

Aim 1: Competition in Girevoy Sport > Girevoy style

Aim 2: Kettlebell practice as GPP, general physical preparation for your sport, or life in general > StrongFirst/Hardstyle style

Notes:

a) StrongFirst has great respect for GS athletes and coaches

b) StrongFirst/Hardstyle contains a lot of "soft" methods - mobility work, stretching, Fast & Loose drills, breathing strategies, etc.

What Pavel M said.

Also, 'soft' or 'fluid' or 'slow' is something of a misnomer; because many of the athletes are still quite powerful and fast in their lifting. Some like Fedorenko look very relaxed, others, not so much. Observe: A 63kg athlete jerks a pair of 45kg bells for 10, and a pair of 32kg bells for nearly 60 reps in 2 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmpMvIffkv4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PVWthvSNAo

Djoni's anthropometry is so perfectly suited to GS it makes me glare at the screen with seething jealousy.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom