all posts post new thread

Old Forum Kettlebell goals for plyometrics

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TravisDirks

Level 3 Valued Member
In Easy Strength (and I think in Supertraining) its said that one should be proficient in Olympic lifts before training plyometrics. Also that a base of strength is required. The strength goals of 2x body weight squat, 1.5x body weight bench, and 2.5x body weight deadlift are put forward as goals related to plyometrics.

Are these goals a bar that should be met before plyometric training ( a floor), or a good level of strength to maintain without decreasing speed-strength (a ceiling).
If it is a ceiling, could someone hazard a decent guess for strength goals to meet before training depth jumps?
What would similar goals look like translated into kettlebell movements? Closer to simple the simple goals or sinister?

Thanks!

Hey Joel,

I'm looking to strengthen my connective tissue and work on speed-strength in anticipation of beginning Parkour training. To give people an idea where I'm at, I  nearly own the 1.5 Pood simple goal. Nearly because I need more than a minute between the swings and the getup. I regularly swing the 2 pood two handed and do getups with it as well. I also regularly work shadow swings with the 1.5 bell, for pre-plyo prep work.

Best,
Travis

Well, I don't know about "plyometrics" per se as a specific training modality but let me tell you about my little foray into parkour and jumping.  Met a nice 20 year old kid in my area who was a bit of a parkour whiz, all the fancy backlips and such.  Been wanting to work in some of those modalities on a more basic level just because the urban environment is much more readily available than pretty much anything else so it would help my goal of my training kinda seeping into every nook and cranny of life.  I thought I'd be smart, just work on my broad jumps onto low ledges...not get ahead of myself, not get cocky, just work on jumping, you know, seemed pretty straightforward.  I have long since passed the simple goals though I kinda eased off for various reasons on trying to slay the 40 but I own the 32 even on my worst days.  Well, let me tell you I damned near gave myself a hernia with those jumps.  I certainly tore some right abdominal muscle near my umbilicus....no protruding viscera to report but damned if I wasn't scared I'd done myself a big boo boo.  So as it turns out...jumping is no joke....kettlebell or no kettlebell.  Taker easy if you're gonna start messing around with those forces.

Took me three weeks to be able to do leg lifts/pullups/jumps without significant pain and stiffness.  Go easy.

Read an article a while ago that was an interview with Natalia Verkhoshansky in which she clarified that her father's prescription that plyos (specifically in that case depth jumps) be reserved for advanced trainees was not because they don't work for the less advanced or are dangerous, but that a comparable effect can be obtained from ordinary jumping exercises.

Along the same lines, the guidance I received in the past (from someone who knows what they are talking about) is that it isn't that (true) plyo's don't work until  a certain strength level, as much as that one can obtain greater benefit from focusing training effort and adaptive reserves on strength development below that level of strength than on (true) plyometrics.

That same person did incorporate ordinary jumping exercises into team practices (split jumps, or "russian lunges",  etc) irrespective of strength levels though.   I don't think the same logic applies.  For field sports, etc, for instance, the idea that you shouldn't do any jumping exercises as part of speed/power/recruitment work until you can squat double bodyweight would seem to be a ridiculously dogmatic and silly misinterpretation of the guidelines, and one every soccer team full of twelve year olds violates weekly.

Go to a playground and watch kids play all day and you will see them jumping on and off things all day. I started plyos when I was 10, 38yrs ago, and had no problem, Unless you count jumping higher than everyone else a problem. Didn't to depth jumps until high school. Increase volume and intensity slowly and you will be fine.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom