all posts post new thread

Old Forum Kettlebell Handle size

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

nhaskins

Level 5 Valued Member
I'm looking at getting into kettlebell training, but on all the kettlebells I've found in town the handles are too narrow for me to properly fit both hands in. I found this thread about the same issue at the dragondoor forums (http://kbforum.dragondoor.com/showthread.php?t=144572&page=1) where they say the inside width of one of their 16KG kettlebell handles is only five inches, and I think I probably need about 7.

How do other guys with big hands handle this. I've read suggestions from overlapping fingers to keeping the pinky fingers out of the grip. Is this actually OK. How should I handle this? Thanks in advance.

Neil

Neil,

I was having the same issues because i was trying to wrap my fingers around completely.
Using a hookgrip it works just fine, but requires you to develop some gripstrength.

But if someone has other suggestions I am also interested.

René

You could always do one arm swings or double up. I have small hands, and still need to have my pinkies outside. Those wide handled KBs are really unsightly (IMO).

The Two-Handed Swing is the fundamental exercise, it should be mastered before moving on to the One-Arm version. Unfortunately, large hands and barrel-chested individuals often have difficulties.

In sharing the exercise with a barrel-chested individual, I had him do Swings with a towel. This reinforced hip drive, rather than utilizing the arms, and proper alignment. Moving to a One-Arm version, too soon, would probably lead to a shoulder drifting forward, twisting, bad things man.

That said, a One-Arm Swing, with significant weight, may fry the grip sooner than desired. If you have the means, you might want to check out the Plateau Buster-Swing Handle - Stronger Grip Store. This will allow you to fit two hands comfortably and avoid the wider stance required by Double Kettlebell Swings (sorry Mr. Neupert).

Hopefully, this is of some assistance.

René, I'll have to try the hook grip, that might make the difference, otherwise,

fdnyceguy, would you just stay with the towel swing? Is there any downside to not moving to a regular swing?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom