all posts post new thread

Old Forum kettlebell hurting my wrist/forearm TGU

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chazak

Level 1 Valued Member
Purchased S&S less than 2 weeks ago, loving it and everything StrongFirst and Pavel have to offer.

I have access to a 16 kilo kettlebell.  The Swing is no problem with it, I hope to get up to 10 sets and then get my hands on a 24 kilo one to move on.

TGU's on the other hand are a big problem.  I've been able to get the movement down I think relatively decently.  My problem is bruising and pain from the kettlebell on the back of my wrists/forearms.  Its gotten to the point that I couldn't do a set of TGU's this morning at all.

The possible problems and solutions that I see are as follows:

1- I'm just a weak a#@ dweeb that needs to toughen up.  Perhaps I can do TGU with dumbells until the bruising pain goes away and then try again.  Repeat that process until my arms toughen up.

2- The kettlebell handle is too small, placing the weight of the kettlebell too high up.

3- I'm holding the kettlebell wrong somehow.

Any help from the community would be much appreciated.

#1)  Post a video if you can so people can evaluate your technique.

#2) Being new to kettlebells, your forearm will be tender for a short time due to the weight being placed on it.  As you dial in your technique and spend some time with the TGU, the pain will fade and won't bother you anymore.... possibly when you move up a weight.

#3) Most of the time the pain on the forearm is caused by your wrist not being in a  neutral position.  If you bend your wrist forward it will cause undue pressure on the back side of your arm.  Keep your wrist as firm and neutral as possible to help alleviate this problem.

Good luck and welcome!

Thank you for the quick responses!  This community is awesome.

@stuart elliot: What do you mean by goodnecking the bell?  I looked at that thread you posted, ty.

@Travis Schrage:  Thanks for the kind welcome.  The back of my upper forearms are so tender I can't even do a rep to take a video with.  I'll try again in a day or two and put up the video.  I try very hard to keep a perfectly neutral wrist.  I trained for many years in Shotokan Karate way back in the day, so I'm used to correct fist/wrist alignment.

Goosenecking that stuart mentioned is  the same to  what I was referring to not keeping the wrist neutral/straight.   Keep the wrist as straight as possible.  If you bend your wrist forward(gooseneck it) you will be extra pressure on your forearm.

Another tip is to grip it more toward one of the corners and not dead center. I found that helps me especially with the 32-40kg bells I have.

Changes the angle of the bell in relation to your forearm. Learned that from Master SFG Dave Whitley.

"goosenecking" seems to get a bad name in this forum and im not sure why. a "slight" gooseneck will keep the trainee from hyperextending the wrist and will help take pressure off of the back of the forearm.  a "slight" gooseneck will help insure a straighter, stronger wrist, throughout the TGU movement.  this comes from experience, but ... I didn't make it up, its a directive straight from ETK.  has S&S changed the teaching and moved away from this helpful tip?

Dmitry-

Padding over the back of the forearm will allow you to continue practicing as the tissue heals. There are several types of KB pads sold, cheaper option is a childs shin guard or something similar. Lots of used ones out there. This isn't to be part of your pracrice, only a crutch until the bell can be against the skin again. Stop using asap.

as for the KB position. Hold your forearm completely vertical without the bell. Make a "five" siGN with the hand, extending all the fingers out fully as if ordering five burgers while keeping the wrist straight. Make sure the fingers are separated or you may only get four burgers, which would cause a problem.

Place the bell over the extended fingers keeping the wrist completely straight, then adjust the bell position with the other hand until it is stable. The handle will pass over your thumb, the other side of the handle will fall close to or over the base of the Palm, NOT across the hand. Once the bell is fully stable in this position close your grip and you've found how to keep a neutral wrist when holding the

bell.

Wow thanks for all of that.  I tried the "five" sign approach, but still hurts too much.  I'll get some temporary padding and put up a video of my TGU.

As a side note, its amazing that the swings have such subtlety to them.  I feel them starting to "pop" off of my thighs, if that description makes any sense.  Pretty awesome.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom