all posts post new thread

Old Forum Kettlebell Muscle

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jg64

Level 2 Valued Member
Just wanted to take some time and recommend Geoff Neupert's "Kettlebell Muscle" program to anyone who is pressed for time and wants "one stop shopping" cardio, strength and explosiveness training.

I'm a police captain without an abundance of time and discovered kettle bells a few years ago as I was looking to save my knees from running and other forms of traditional cardio.  Did a few swings and was hooked.  After completing the Etk Rop I needed a change and did Kbm.  Didn't think it would be much until I tried it! Simply put, it is BRUTAL to do and not for beginners!

The scale showed a slight increase, my legs and upper shoulders were thicker.  Pants waist stayed the same.  (Sorry but didn't take measurements or anything of the sort as I was just looking for a different "workout")

I checked my ego  and did the program with the double 20s. (I could strictly press a beast and started with double 24s)   The results after twelve weeks......I was able to do reps with the beast!  The muscular gain made me stronger!

This done in about forty minutes or so a week!  Getting ready for another round of it with the 24s!

Thank you Mr. Neupert!

John,

Glad you liked it. Impressive strength gains too!

Next time you do it, if you want more muscle, just eat more. :)

I too am a big fan of KBM.  But I have a question for the experts here, and maybe a question that others are encountering as well.

I've been through the full KBM12 weeks once.  Then took on a different program for 12 weeks, and now am coming back to KBM again for another round.  This time I'm going up one bell size.  I find that it's harder than I thought it would be to go up one weight.  So in the first week, I get through sets 1,2, and 3.  But by the 4th round I'm pretty spent, and if I can muscle my way through it at all, my form is turning to crap.

So in that case, am I better off (a) dropping back a weight for that last set and maintaining form (sort of like a drop set;  it's still pretty darn tough at this point in the workout), or (b) muscling through it in less than pretty fashion, or (c) not doing that last set at all?

I've being following (a).  (b) scares me a little.  But I wanted some advice from the experts, especially whether (a) is effective or not,  or if it's best to stop when the form really breaks down from exhaustion.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Love this forum, BTW…

Ken - here's what I would do:

Take the total volume and do as many sets as you need to with the larger weights using your best form. It stands to reason that you will probably have to drop the reps per set and increase sets.

Hope that helps.

Geoff:  Yes, that helps tremendously. Great stuff, as always.

I was not thinking about it in terms of hitting total volume of reps with the new weight level; for some reason, that approach was never on my radar.  But makes perfect sense when you say it.

Thanks so much for the feedback and quick turnaround.

Others in this thread are right: KBM rocks.  (and hoping Santa will bring me the new Geoff-material.)

Ken

Hi Comrades!

Mr. Geoff could You advice me which size of KB shoud I use. I Can strictly press One arm 32kg x5. 20 kg for KBM or 24 kg as You wrote for decrease number of reps in series but witch proper volume?

Paweł

If I may add......I believe that either way would work.   If you did say four rounds of 24s and two rounds of 20s this go round and you did all six rounds with 20s last go round, then the total lifted during the same time period has increased thus progress.

The dropping of the reps and adding a round or two is a great idea too.

I did one other experiment with the first six weeks of the program.  I added one round per workout and reduced the rest times using the 20s.  The first three weeks were 90 seconds rest, the last three were 60 seconds rest........IT SUCKED!   I did this over the past summer.

Awesome results! I did KM also and went from 210lb to 225il! I just went through my second stent and used double 28kg! It is a KILLER program and it will definitley make you super strong and muscular!

How longlasting are the mass gains from a program like this if a person goes back to a less intense program but still challenges their abilities using a weight appropriate for the new strength?

Mr. Mcneuen,  I retained the mass and strength.  Did the ROP again using a heavier bell.  Did double front squats on variety days.

It is an awesome program.   Extremely simple in design but as I have read "simple does not mean easy!"  People who believe that such a short workout isn't effective quickly change their minds after three rounds of complex kettlebell complex!  Soaring heart rate, shaky limbs and I guess what can be described as systemic exhaustion.

Sorry to beat a dead horse but I love the program.

Tremendous program. I'm curious, for those who have done KBM (or Geoff, or anyone else working double snatches), was there a point at which you brought the KB's back to the rack between snatches?

-Dan

Pavel says in Return of the Kettlebell to rack them between snatches so you dont face plant or hurt your back.

question for Geoff,

How much tension (volume) do you suggest for the squats and presses??

I have the book. I just don't have matching doubles yet. How much fat loss was there for you guys? I know it is a mass building program but with complexes and chains I would be some fat loss is happening too.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom