all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!

So don’t judge me for being an idiot, BUT I never watched the videos for @Geoff Neupert Kettlebell STRONG! until this weekend….. I know, I know. (I thought I was good with just reading thru the manual a few times.)

I just completed STRONG! phase 1 week 6 workout 18 today with 24’s. In short, watching the videos changed the game! Stuff clicked right away that wasn’t by reading the manual. The bells come right up into the rack with ease during cleans and my arms just come right up in line with my ears during the press. Mechanically (technique) my C&P is much easier to perform, but as stated in the videos they seem a lot more demanding energetically (I had to double the rest periods) as I’m generating more whole body tension.

This has me wondering if I’ll be able to survive the volume of Phase 2 SLOW AND STEADY. I’m afraid I won’t be able to maintain the rest periods as volume increases or might slip up and sacrifice technique. So I think I need to take a step back and lock down the new cues/techniques.

4 options come to mind:
  1. Stick it out; finish this cycle and roll into phase 2 SLOW AND STEADY and see how it goes (maybe I’ll be fine)
  2. Run the 6 week FOUNDATION PROGRAM found in KB EXPRESS, then start STRONG! Phase 2 SLOW AND STEADY
  3. Run Phase 1 again (maybe increase the sets by 50%)
  4. Run a cycle of THE GIANT 3.0 before phase 2 of STRONG!
I’d appreciate y’all’s input/insights. Thank you!

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!

So don’t judge me for being an idiot, BUT I never watched the videos for @Geoff Neupert Kettlebell STRONG! until this weekend….. I know, I know. (I thought I was good with just reading thru the manual a few times.)

I just completed STRONG! phase 1 week 6 workout 18 today with 24’s. In short, watching the videos changed the game! Stuff clicked right away that wasn’t by reading the manual. The bells come right up into the rack with ease during cleans and my arms just come right up in line with my ears during the press. Mechanically (technique) my C&P is much easier to perform, but as stated in the videos they seem a lot more demanding energetically (I had to double the rest periods) as I’m generating more whole body tension.

This has me wondering if I’ll be able to survive the volume of Phase 2 SLOW AND STEADY. I’m afraid I won’t be able to maintain the rest periods as volume increases or might slip up and sacrifice technique. So I think I need to take a step back and lock down the new cues/techniques.

4 options come to mind:
  1. Stick it out; finish this cycle and roll into phase 2 SLOW AND STEADY and see how it goes (maybe I’ll be fine)
  2. Run the 6 week FOUNDATION PROGRAM found in KB EXPRESS, then start STRONG! Phase 2 SLOW AND STEADY
I’d appreciate y’all’s input/insights. Thank you!
I did the same thing haha. They are great. I’m halfway through phase 2, the volume is getting high, more than I’ve ever pressed with 2x24. BUT, I just cut down to twice a week ( Monday and Friday ) to assist recovery. It’s going quite well.

I had to pause a few weeks with a shoulder issue, it was minor, and I sorted it out. Now it’s fine and while it’s daunting, twice a week is doable, and when I finish a session now I feel great.

When I started phase 2 I looked at the later sessions and thought “no chance”, but by slowly grinding away now I’m doing it. It’s tough, but manageable.

I just cut down to twice a week ( Monday and Friday ) to assist recovery. It’s going quite well.
Are you able to maintain the recommended rest periods…

I could do twice a week maybe, I do love the 3x week rhythm however.

You could run phase1 again. Don’t double the sets though, you may as well start phase 2.
I was only considering increasing sets by 50% not 100%…. I know it’s increased volume but maybe more manageable with lower rep sets….

Thinking about it more last week if I just added another 4 week block to Phase 1 repeating the last four weeks with the new found technique and tension, maybe that would be enough extra time?

Are you able to maintain the recommended rest periods…

I could do twice a week maybe, I do love the 3x week rhythm however.

I was only considering increasing sets by 50% not 100%…. I know it’s increased volume but maybe more manageable with lower rep sets….

Thinking about it more last week if I just added another 4 week block to Phase 1 repeating the last four weeks with the new found technique and tension, maybe that would be enough extra time?
I rest til I’m ready. Usually do a set every 2+ mins.

You could definitely do that.

Im to the point where all the sessions are a reasonable amount of reps. More than im used to definitely. I’ve never done so much volume, particularly pressing. Few late nights over the weekend ( my birthday) and a bit stiff ( im 43 ) this morning. Somehow managed to get through 10x4. One thing about doing sets of 5, is that sets of 4 seem not too bad haha.

Last edited:
More than im used to definitely. I’ve never done so much volume, particularly pressing. Few late nights over the weekend ( my birthday) and a bit stiff ( im 43 ) this morning.

Happy Birthday! I’m trailing just behind you it seems in training and in age (turned 41 in January.)

That was always the thing with the GIANT…. Every 4 weeks the session/reps you didn’t look forward too became the ones you were happy to get the following 4 week block.

Just past halfway phase 2. Higher reps are tough for me, but I’m starting to get the benefits. 2x24 starting to feel pretty solid, wouldn’t say I own them yet, but on th way.
@Halfakneecap Awesome! Are you seeing much hypertrophy or recomposition?

I just started on repeats of 5s today…brutal!
Doing the short course with 45 lb push press too.
@musicsherlock how are you doing SHORT COURSE for 2 or 3 days week? How are you doing with recovery doing it with C&PP?

I remember @Geoff Neupert mentioning on a thread that switching to C&PP once in a while could be beneficial for hypertrophy due to change in novel stimulus…. Wondering if one could eek out more hypertrophy and stick with a pair of bells longer by doing Phase 1 C&P, then Phase 2 SHORT COURSE w/ C&PP, then SLOW AND STEADY w/ C&P again?

As far as my progress the last couple of weeks I’ve continued on with Phase 1 to see how it was going with new technique learned from the videos. Just finished week 7. The days of sets of 2 were doable, the days of sets of 3 I found myself losing tension in my abs and low back on the last rep of the last couple sets. This could be due to lack of focus or endurance…. I kept the rest between sets short around 60s for the first 5 or 6 sets; maybe spacing them out longer deliberately at the beginning would have left enough gas in the tank. I’m going to finish week 8 as planned to see what current rep max is And I’ll post results here.

Then considering options I listed in posts above:

So I think I need to take a step back and lock down the new cues/techniques.

4 options come to mind:
And
Before moving on to Phase 2, I think I will reset phase 1 to week 4 and re-complete it with focusing on cues/techniques from the videos. I was re-reading manual and @Geoff Neupert states:

“…but what’s the rush? Better to own each and every rep then struggle your way through and fry out your nervous system because you were pushing too hard.”

So I’ll take a half step back to keep moving forward…. After all if I want to complete this program with 48’s in a few years time (that’s my goal) the most important thing I can do is not get injured/show up every day!

What insights and/or recommendations do ya’ll have for someone about weight/kb training first thing and early in the morning?

Thinking of trying this lifestyle adjustment, but I’m not a morning person by nature.

Currently I lift Tues/Thrs after work and Saturdays, but sometimes due to working late or completing necessary errands on the way home I’m not getting to my workout until after 6pm.

What insights and/or recommendations do ya’ll have for someone about weight/kb training first thing and early in the morning?

Thinking of trying this lifestyle adjustment, but I’m not a morning person by nature.

Currently I lift Tues/Thrs after work and Saturdays, but sometimes due to working late or completing necessary errands on the way home I’m not getting to my workout until after 6pm.
I always do my strength work in the morning, usually 5am. What works for me is to wake up at 4:30, and under no circumstances do I hit snooze or it makes it 100x harder to get up. I drag myself out of bed at 4:30, drink a protein shake with Creatine and 180mg caffeine pill, then begin my practice between 5-5:15 am.

I've been practicing Strong! Foundation in the mornings before going to work. I'm not a morning person either so I do what I can get to sleep the previous night at an ok time - usually involves shutting down screen time in the last hour before bedtime, and reading a physical book while sipping some kind of sleepy time tea like Twinings Sleep Plus.

My warmup is farmer's walk of my 2 KBs from the basement to the living room, shaking (Fast & Loose style), then 2 circuits of halos and prying goblet squat, then some more shaking before setting the timer to 20 min. and beginning the training.

It helps that I switched to morning training in the early 2000s and made it a habit over time. Once it became a habit I didn't think any more thoughts like "Do I really have to?" "oh gawd I'm still not feeling awake" etc. I just get right to it, just like brushing my teeth every morning and night.

@Halfakneecap Awesome! Are you seeing much hypertrophy or recomposition?

@musicsherlock how are you doing SHORT COURSE for 2 or 3 days week? How are you doing with recovery doing it with C&PP?

I remember @Geoff Neupert mentioning on a thread that switching to C&PP once in a while could be beneficial for hypertrophy due to change in novel stimulus…. Wondering if one could eek out more hypertrophy and stick with a pair of bells longer by doing Phase 1 C&P, then Phase 2 SHORT COURSE w/ C&PP, then SLOW AND STEADY w/ C&P again?

As far as my progress the last couple of weeks I’ve continued on with Phase 1 to see how it was going with new technique learned from the videos. Just finished week 7. The days of sets of 2 were doable, the days of sets of 3 I found myself losing tension in my abs and low back on the last rep of the last couple sets. This could be due to lack of focus or endurance…. I kept the rest between sets short around 60s for the first 5 or 6 sets; maybe spacing them out longer deliberately at the beginning would have left enough gas in the tank. I’m going to finish week 8 as planned to see what current rep max is And I’ll post results here.

Then considering options I listed in posts above:

And

Before moving on to Phase 2, I think I will reset phase 1 to week 4 and re-complete it with focusing on cues/techniques from the videos. I was re-reading manual and @Geoff Neupert states:

“…but what’s the rush? Better to own each and every rep then struggle your way through and fry out your nervous system because you were pushing too hard.”

So I’ll take a half step back to keep moving forward…. After all if I want to complete this program with 48’s in a few years time (that’s my goal) the most important thing I can do is not get injured/show up every day!
I’m actually losing weight at the moment, but I’m eating less. I did months of Strong where I ate fairly well and weight stayed the same. I’m sure if I ate more I’d put weight on

Strong is for strength. Rest as much as you need. As you adapt, you’ll naturally reduce rest periods anyway. I prefer to keep strength work untimed, it works much better for me.

For conditioning, try the Wolf, it sucks, but works very well for conditioning

4am with no food before always

I am a first thing in the morning person.

I get up and make coffee. Read some news. When the coffee is ready, it's time to exercise. I pour a cup and head to my Courage Corner.

I begin with the Original Strength resets. Then I do the Simple and Sinister warm-up. (This is my warm-up routine for every lift day.) Then I do the lifts for whatever program I am running.

When life gets in the way and I don't lift first thing in the morning, I really don't enjoy the session as much. The "child" who lives inside my head spends the whole day trying to talk myself out of lifting. (We can skip today...You've been good. etc.) So when I finally get to the afternoon or early evening session, I have become a crabby bitch. I have to coax myself through the session. (Yea discipline!)

Did phase 1, workout 1 today with double 24's. First time lifting them. When I looked at the program I thought: sets of 1, that should be doable. I did make it, but was harder than I thought. But I was really focussing in the cues Geoff gives for the clean, than tense up in the rack and press with maximum tension. You really have more power, but it also costs more energy.
Looking foreward to the next sessions.

What warm-up and cooling down do you follow? I do the S&S warm-up with a 16kg and afterwards the S&S stretches.
On 2 to 3 off days I do some light mobility and stretching work for 20 to 30 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom