all posts post new thread

Kettlebells and downstairs neighbours

C. Schwartz

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi all,

Looking for generic on advice on minimising kettlebell noise for downstairs neighbours.

I've searched the forum and have not found a lot on this. I found this thread Kettlebell - Downstairs Neighbours, but it's closed and the problem for the person asking seems to have resolved itself without drastic measures.

In the last two buildings I've lived in, I've had neighbours complain about noise. In the last building in Sydney, I bought some foam mats and thought that helped, but when I moved out my neighbour said he still heard the thudding sound.

I moved to Paris last year. So far my neighbours downstairs and the ones on the level below that (!) have complained. This morning they said the building shook.

I try to really settle the kettlebell down, make that part of the technique etc., and I use a doubled-over yoga mat and two thick towels.

Does any have any generic advice on this? Am I still just using bad form?

I really love the morning kettlebell ritual and would be sad to give it up. Getting to a gym in Paris sucks, too.

What movements are causing the noise? If you aren't throwing the bells at the floor and aren't doing it a ridiculous times at night, then I can't see the problem. Part of living in an apartment
I should have been more specific. It was S&S both times. I was doing Q&D until recently. Maybe I'm getting tired and not noticing myself dropping it heavily?

Well, I'm sure you're going to have a tougher time finding something like this in Paris, but a 4' x 6' thick stall mat (with a layer of towel or wood underneath should be more than enough: Select Grade Honeycomb Barn Mat RSM4872M-HV3/4B | Order Select Grade Honeycomb Barn Mat RSM4872M-HV3/4B Online

If you're doing S&S, my guess is that you are getting tired and don't notice if you might be setting the bell down a little rougher on later sets. Even so, I think w. a big thick stall mat, noise below should be minimal.

T
Well, I'm sure you're going to have a tougher time finding something like this in Paris, but a thick stall mat (with a layer of towel or wood underneath should be more than enough: Select Grade Honeycomb Barn Mat RSM4872M-HV3/4B | Order Select Grade Honeycomb Barn Mat RSM4872M-HV3/4B Online

If you're doing S&S, my guess is that you are getting tired and don't notice if you might be setting the bell down a little rougher on later sets. Even so, I think w. a big thick stall mat, noise below should be minimal.

Thanks. I’m going to try something like this out.

And yeah, I suspect that’s what’s happening. I didn’t have any issues the last three months doing Q&D. The last time someone knocked was when I was doing S&S before that.

It sounds like they hear you more when you are doing S&S? If that's the case, is it possible the noise is coming from something during getups? Are you stepping heavy? Setting the bell down to the side heavy?

it's just you. I do S&S with my daughter sleeping downstairs. TGU - no problem, concrete floor. Swing - I land it on a 2 cm thick rubber mat - but it's for saving the floor, not the noise. S&S should not make any noise at all, imho.

It sounds like they hear you more when you are doing S&S? If that's the case, is it possible the noise is coming from something during getups? Are you stepping heavy? Setting the bell down to the side heavy?
+1 to the TGU being the culprit, especially setting the bell down at the end of a rep

Yeah, that's a good point, I think the bell clonks a bit more when I do those, and I'm probably less aware of how it might resonate, too. I put just a thin layer on the floor for those, but might need to do more.

it's just you. I do S&S with my daughter sleeping downstairs. TGU - no problem, concrete floor. Swing - I land it on a 2 cm thick rubber mat - but it's for saving the floor, not the noise. S&S should not make any noise at all, imho.

Could well be, given that I've had this issue in two different buildings. I guess this is motivation to control the bell more?

Sounds like you have bad luck with neighbours. I pictured you doing S&S for 30min and making audible noise 7 times in that session, that's something neighbours should live with. If someone is on a nightshift and is sleeping during your training he/she/they should come and discuss. YOU ARE ALLOWED TO MAKE SOME NOICE in apartment building. If you had shouting triplets what would they do then? Are they saying that the noise you're makin is too much for them to tolerate? Is finger or angry expression involved? I'm rambling but my short advice is: do the work out and say that you're sorry but probably you'll hear approximately 30 dull hits in a week.
P.S if your technique is bad and you're really dropping the bell hard then forget everything I wrote.

Back
Top Bottom