all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebells and wrestling sttength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I can definitely understand how kbells would help wrestling. I bet heavy power cleans would be great. Teaches the body to be explosive, a hip hinge, and how to absorb the load in the rack position (kind of like being hit), which is important for contact sports).

Being strong on the mat is a sport specific thing that requires a lot of balance and mobility as well as "pure" strength and power. To develop real wrestling strength, you will need an opponent as a mean of training resistance. But certainly, training with kettlebells is very beneficial as a supplement!

Tha KS for all the responses I think it is safe to say that wrestling strength is wrestling strength but a kettlebell will build you up

Tha KS for all the responses I think it is safe to say that wrestling strength is wrestling strength but a kettlebell will build you up
I'm not even sure this is what I'd conclude from this thread, and I'm a kettlebell lover, but like I've pointed out I think above, the S&S programme gave me a _base_ of strength to get to a higher level of judo. Barbell deadlifts and presses (with kettlebells and the barbell) also pushed my strength up which had a positive effect on my judo performance. Once up to a kind of limit (S&S with 32kg for swings and 40kg for TGUs, and a 370lbs deadlift, 32kg kettlebell press for three reps per arm per set) I got so into training for judo and kendo that I had almost no energy left for weights, and I'd say this situation went on a good 8 months until Quarantine set in. Now I'm back at my weights like never before. It took me a week to get back to where I left off at weights. This has something to do with muscle memory of course but I'm sure the judo and kendo kept me pretty strong too.

Kenny Croxdale knows what he is talking about and he is kind enough to post here for us. Evidently any kind of big pull movement is going to help with wrestling and judo and likely BJJ too, so cleans, swings, the deadlift, but if we're after maximum strength, I'm pretty sure the deadlift wins, and we are after maximum strength - power comes from adding speed to the strength, and the speed tends to be movement specific - so a product of on the mat training and experience over some kind of off-mat speed training.

I'm not even sure this is what I'd conclude from this thread, and I'm a kettlebell lover, but like I've pointed out I think above, the S&S programme gave me a _base_ of strength to get to a higher level of judo. Barbell deadlifts and presses (with kettlebells and the barbell) also pushed my strength up which had a positive effect on my judo performance. Once up to a kind of limit (S&S with 32kg for swings and 40kg for TGUs, and a 370lbs deadlift, 32kg kettlebell press for three reps per arm per set) I got so into training for judo and kendo that I had almost no energy left for weights, and I'd say this situation went on a good 8 months until Quarantine set in. Now I'm back at my weights like never before. It took me a week to get back to where I left off at weights. This has something to do with muscle memory of course but I'm sure the judo and kendo kept me pretty strong too.

Kenny Croxdale knows what he is talking about and he is kind enough to post here for us. Evidently any kind of big pull movement is going to help with wrestling and judo and likely BJJ too, so cleans, swings, the deadlift, but if we're after maximum strength, I'm pretty sure the deadlift wins, and we are after maximum strength - power comes from adding speed to the strength, and the speed tends to be movement specific - so a product of on the mat training and experience over some kind of off-mat speed training.
Agree with what you say bud that's what I ment by what I said

I would say that "The naked warrior" provides very useful methods and excercises as well. Leverage and core strength are both essential in combat sports. Pistols, especially, have improved my strength for grappling, as it is often required in stretched and balance demanding positions.

So the alternating of S&S and PTTP is the way to go.
To be honest, I've done a sort of sequence of S&S, PTTP and Naked Warrior over the years. Each one contributes, refreshes and maintains aspects of strength important to judo. I always keep doing the moves from these no matter what programme I'm actually following more correctly/properly at the time.
But in answer to your question, and it's just coming from a lifestyle/recreational judo wreslter - yes, S&S and PTTP alternation would be excellent.

I would say that "The naked warrior" provides very useful methods and excercises as well. Leverage and core strength are both essential in combat sports. Pistols, especially, have improved my strength for grappling, as it is often required in stretched and balance demanding positions.
I completely agree. Of course pistols can be very difficult so people need to pay attention to the progressions (box pistols etc) and not get frustrated if they can't jump into full pistols quickly. NW needs no equipment at all - unbelievable! :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom