all posts post new thread

Old Forum Kettlebells for Youth Athletic Development

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

AllHartKB7

First Post
Hello everyone!  I am a sports performance coach that caters to ages 8+ (mostly with ages 12+).  I have a B.Sc. in Exercise Science, through which I had invested time in a dual internship.  One part of the internship was spent with the strength and conditioning staff at my university, and the other part was spent in the pediatrics sports medicine department of a local hospital.  Overall, it provided me with some great insight in to what should and should not be done at certain age ranges, due to growth and development of the skeletal system.  By that, I mean that I am a firm believer that resistance training is a MUST for our youth, but it needs to be done properly.  Non-machine based (for the most part) strength movements that lend themselves to developing balance, strength, coordination, and transfer into the lives of these young individuals while they play their sports.

Enter, the kettlebell...

I have been using the kettlebell to instruct 'grinder' movements to my young athletes, and have been witnessing some great success.  Who would have known, lighter weight, better instruction, and gradually building up the intensity of their exercise regimens has been beneficial in their training for sports.

So here is my question.   How many of this StrongFirst community utilize kettlebell training with a youth population on a regular basis?  Do you stick to grinder movements, or do you also instruct the ballistic movements?  When do you begin teaching them the ballistic movements if you do use them (based on what parameters? Age, gender, movement ability, etc.)

Just looking for some feedback!  I look forward to hearing from this community.

Hi Ryan,

Most of my athletes are in high school, however, i see no reason why the swing wouldn't be an early exercise to add to children's training.  Students are sitting behind desks reinforcing negative patterns from a very young age, so having some swings in there is a real positive.

I'm always wary of adding too much load with children, however, the swing really doesn't place a lot (negligible if any) negative stress on your body when it is taught conservatively and with the right patterning.  I actually prioritise the swing, goblet squat and the SLDL initially with almost every athlete.

My concern with adding swings at a younger age (8-11 in females and 9/10-12 in males) is the shear force without the presence of compression on open growth plates through the spine.  I will be gaining access to information from a PT that is a friend of mine who does presentations based on age and gender based training with concern of growth plate closures.  I understand, with absolute clarity, what benefits can be had in the adult populations with the swing.  I am a 'religious' swinger myself.  However, the quantitative data that Stuart McGill has shown through his research with the swing leads me to question if these young age ranges have the neuromuscular capability to be able to use their musculature to protect the shear force from being placed on the open growth plates.  Especially with the fact that the swing is beneficial either in high repetition set schemes, or with heavy weight.  Neither of which sounds like a good idea without the proper neuromuscular control.  Through two years of 'coaching' my current sports performance program, I have witnessed great benefit from instructing goblet squats, several different forms of KB dead lifts, and the TGU but have only taught the swing to a select few.  Even with these select few (of which, most were 13-14 yo)  I have noticed that they do not possess the neuromuscular control to control the dynamics of the swing enough for it to be purely beneficial.  There are errors in their posture and technique that I have noticed that have lead me to feel a bit uneasy with teaching the swing and having faith that they would not become 'dysfunctionaly strong' and potential lead them to injury.

So, I guess what I am looking for here is for any evidence that may be presented that could lead me to implement the swing more often in my programming with these young ages.  I want to hear the good and the bad.  Have any other coaches here noticed potential cause for harm in instructing the swing with younger ages?  Also, what success have you noticed in instructing the swing to younger ages?  Differences between male and female at the same age?  What about the swing's value with injury prevention in young athletes?  Not only in the core area, but the hip and knee as well?

Any help that can be gained from this discussion is greatly appreciated.  I highly value coach-to-coach interaction and think that a greater good can be reached by peer-to-peer education.

Best Regards,
Coach Ryan H., CPT

Get a hold of Dan John. Just guessing but he would probably have tons of thoughts, evidence, etc. I don't know if he still does but I am pretty sure at one time he taught at a high school. Could be wrong about high school though.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom