all posts post new thread

Old Forum Knuckles hurt with COC grippers

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jeff

Level 5 Valued Member
Does anyone else's knuckles hurt when using grippers?  My knuckles hurt, especially the ones closest to the tips of my fingers.  It seems to make a difference how flat, or how curved, the tips of my fingers are when squeezing.  Is there a breaking in process I need to take my hands through when starting out with grippers?  What would be the best programming advice in order to get my knuckles up to speed?

Super joints! I got the book a couple years ago, but only started the routine 3 months ago. Wish I would have started sooner! The first month all my joints cracked and popped. Now they are smooth when I go threw them! I'm doing the basic drills. It's a very good read.

Is there a particular hand gripper protocol that would be good until I get my knuckles more resilient?

"Does anyone else’s knuckles hurt when using grippers?  My knuckles hurt, especially the ones closest to the tips of my fingers.  It seems to make a difference how flat, or how curved, the tips of my fingers are when squeezing.  Is there a breaking in process I need to take my hands through when starting out with grippers?  What would be the best programming advice in order to get my knuckles up to speed?" -Jeffrey Tabb

Jeffrey, my first thought is that you might not be warming up enough with very easy grippers if you're having knuckle pain issues.  Buy a cheap, easy gripper with the foam handles from Walmart and do two sets of 10-20 reps to warm up before going to your "normal" gripper warmup.  And then see if that helps.

Warming up properly can make a huge difference in demonstrable strength.  I've seen it in action many times with grippers.  For instance, a contest I went to last year where grippers were on the event menu.  The guy's name doesn't matter, but he was pretty strong on grippers.  The "catch" was - it was only when he was really warmed up in the hands.  He had knuckle pain too, but I think it was mainly from going to grip strength contests (or casual gatherings where grip was trained) and not wanting to appear "weak" to the other guys - and just grabbing a gripper that was at least a #2 and "warming up" with it.  Even though it was pretty close to his max, at the contest, he told me he wanted to "psyche a few guys out" on the gripper event.  So the first gripper he grabbed was a #2.5.  His max close at that point was a very easy #3.  So the #2.5 was very close to his current max.

I tried to talk him into setting ego aside, and warming up with a Guide, then a Sport.  Then a Trainer.  Then the #1.  Then a #1.5.  Not a lot of reps.  Just sets of 5 until he hit the #1.  Then a set of 2 reps would be fine on that.  Then I told him the #2 would be a good one to hit for a single.  Then the #2.5.  Long story short (since I'm droning on) is that he politely declined my help.  And did not place nearly as high on the grippers as he should have.  His best close was well below what he should've been closing that day.

He called me a week later and apologized for not taking my advice.  He knows I don't give out advice if I think someone isn't going to take it.  Just common sense.  Why waste either of our time on it?  So I asked him if he was ready to take my advice.  He said "definitely."  I had to go to work, so we hung up.  He did the warm up I listed (since he was at home, I told him to wash the dishes before doing any gripper warmup - it helps get the hands and knuckles nicely warmed up) and closed a #3 that he's had sitting at his house for 5 years.  It had never been closed, or even within 1/2" before that day.

That's what the power of warming up properly can do for grippers.

In your opinion, can easy partials with a heavier gripper be used as a warmup, or does it need to be full range reps with a light gripper?

does the programming for gripers play by a different set of rules because of the small distance that force is applied compared to other exercises such as presses?

And, I saw from the video that the guy was setting up the gripper to basically leave load off of the small knuckles at the tips of the fingers.  Is it advisable to not grab the gripers with a normal grip and load the tips of the fingers?

I dont really mean the tips of the fingers but the pads downstream of the last set of knuckles.

"In your opinion, can easy partials with a heavier gripper be used as a warmup, or does it need to be full range reps with a light gripper?

does the programming for gripers play by a different set of rules because of the small distance that force is applied compared to other exercises such as presses?

And, I saw from the video that the guy was setting up the gripper to basically leave load off of the small knuckles at the tips of the fingers.  Is it advisable to not grab the gripers with a normal grip and load the tips of the fingers?" -Jeffrey Tabb

I would stick to full range reps with a light gripper.  I am definitely not against using partials in training.  I used a TON of them to get to the #3.5 level.  But in terms of specific gripper warm ups, stick to full range reps.  With easy grippers and then with your harder "still a warm up" grippers.

"Does the programming for gripers play by a different set of rules because of the small distance that force is applied compared to other exercises such as presses?" -Jeffrey Tabb

I was trying to quote and answer in pieces, but the previous post messed up a bit when I tried to edit it.

The programming for grippers CAN be different and for a lot of us plays by different rules.  Maybe because of the small distance the force is applied.  Maybe because the brain has a much more powerful link to the hands than any other normally trained musculature.  I'm not saying to throw out everything you know about strength training just because the hands are capable of being trained differently.  I know that for me, I responded very well to very high volume gripper closes - in the form of singles.  The same type of training if I had tried it with deadlifts (or squats, bench, etc.) would've likely killed me.

"And, I saw from the video that the guy was setting up the gripper to basically leave load off of the small knuckles at the tips of the fingers.  Is it advisable to not grab the gripers with a normal grip and load the tips of the fingers?" -Jeffrey Tabb

I didn't understand from this if you wanted to train with no set (not using your other hand to pull the gripper handles together) or if you want to focus more on deep set (using your other hand to pull the gripper handles together until they're about parallel) gripper closes.  Both are very useful.

If you were most interested in getting stronger on the grippers for grip strength contests, I'd recommend spending most of your time on deep set closes.  Or training with a 20mm block - which is getting to be a pretty standard event now in grip contests.

On the other hand, I work in corrections.  So any coworkers that I give training advice to I recommend no set training.  Unless they have more time/interest/desire to get stronger on the grippers than what I feel is the "sweet spot" of being able to close a #2 with no set - with left and right hands for this type of work.  That's about as strong as I feel any normal guy should work toward getting.  Getting stronger than that is a bonus, of course.  But the return on your time investment suffers a big drop off past the #2 level for the majority of guys.

^My pleasure, Pavel!  This forum is packed full of people who really, really know their stuff.  And 99% of the time that person is not me, haha!  But grip is one thing I earned my way to the higher levels.  I was never the "top guy" on anything.  But "top 10 guy" on a few grip-specific things would be accurate to say.

Jeffrey - reminds me of my first set of deadlifts on a cold morning – probably not the same as it wasn’t joint pain – just the gnurling ripping into cold skin and non-warmed up hands. More like a stinging sensation.

Ben, have you ever known/heard of hip flexor (I am 85% sure it is my right hip flexor) almost cramping up on a max effort (trying to close a #2 coc, right hand. I was probably sitting down too). Lefty not as strong, but also no “cramping” on a max effort. It sort of makes sense : an all out body tension – but as well it is a bit weird. Cheers.

Jeffrey- I have to admit I'm somewhat of a "sissy" with the CoC grippers.  I've got a couple.  They seem to tear up the skin on my hands and generally hurt them when I use them regularly.  But I just got a couple Zenith grippers and they work for me!

http://www.ironmind-store.com/Zenith-Digital-Fitness-Grippers/products/60/

I'm putting in my GTG time with the the Zenith's and hope to crush the normal CoC grippers I've got soon.

I don't know about specific knuckle pain, but do have general skin and hand pain with normal CoC.  Good luck.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom