all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Large Jump KB Program Order

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

If you get a new KB what order of what programs would you do to make large weight jumps?

I was thinking something like:
  1. S&S
  2. Soju and Tuba
  3. A+A of some sort
  4. RoP

Different lifts progress at different paces for different people.

For swings I’d just do sets of 5 with lots of rest, eventually either building to sets of 10 or EMOM. Or just slot them in via the standard S&S progression.

I really like high pulls as an intermediate step towards snatching a heavier weight more comfortably, especially for eccentric grip confidence.

I wrote a really long post asking a similar question about making an 8kg jump from pressing a way too easy bell to an unconquerable lump. In the end I deleted the whole thing as I answered my own questions. Long story short, I’m biting the bullet and buying an inbetween weight I’ll likely grow out of quickly (I hope).

Until then I’m trying soju and tuba weight ladders. For each set on the standard S&T program, I’ll repeat with a light bell, stacked intermediate bell and loaded cleans with the goal bell. Seems to reinforce the groove, tightness and gives some exposure to a moderate weight.

Once the new bell arrives I’ll likely restart ROP C+P ladders.

Hope that was of some use to you.

Just 8kg. I was thinking of starting a similar thread in the barbell threads for 20# and 30# jumps so nothing smaller than 10# plates would be necessary but another thread there is talking about it which was the genesis of this thought experiment.

The purpose of the kg jumps between Russian kettlebells is that you are forced to build volume with the lighter bell before moving up. Therefore “owning the bell”.

I like rop fir a new bell cause you can control the volume by changing the rungs in the ladder. With S&T the volume is fixed and you have to choose the right weight.

Long story short, I’m biting the bullet and buying an in-between weight I’ll likely grow out of quickly (I hope).
I'm sure many would say an in-between weight can be used for all kinds of stuff even after one grows out of it but one of the main ideas in my mind is the minimalism of kettlebells which starts to get defeated once a bunch of kettlebells are used/purchased.

@Harald Motz has a great definition of owning a bell being a bottoms up press. What program order allows a person to use a single bell for the entire (or at least large portion of) spectrum of ownership from almost dangerous to use all the way to a BU press and avoid having a bunch of in-between bells?

Could even larger jumps than 8kg be made with the right program order?

I only think in terms of jumps between bells in the context of a specific program or exercise, not between programs. I also don't think in terms of "owning" a bell in general, only in the context of specific drills or programs.

I’m biting the bullet and buying an in between weight I’ll likely grow out of quickly (I hope).
I've ended up with more intermediate size bells over the years. It's nice to be able to calibrate the size of the bell to the program you're doing, and there are lots of times when an intermediate size is the "right" size. When I move past a bell in one drill or program, there's usually something else that it still comes in useful for.

There seems to be a prejudice against using intermediate size KBs that I don't think is necessarily warranted. You can program around big jumps between bells, or you can choose a weight that's appropriate to what you want to do with it. There's nothing wrong with either approach.

If one attacks the program with vigor and discipline, yes!! I have been training with kettlebells for over 15 years and have made some significant improvements because I kept showing up. Showing up and executing your program with heart will move you a lot farther along than anything else. You will often read, because it is true, a so/so program executed with heart and vigor will soundly outperform the perfect program done halfheartedly.

That said, pick a program and stick with it. Just show up, day after day, after day, after day, after day, after day...that time is going to pass regardless, you might as well put that time to good use.

Don't worry about hitting or missing a kg goal. Yes, it's good to shoot for something but don't let a narrow focus on a number blind you from seeing other improvements.

Also, most importantly, find an SFG in your area and get a few sessions. There is NO substitute for knowledgeable feedback from a trained professional who knows what he/she is looking at and looking for. Period.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom