all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Large Jumps In Kettlebell Sizes

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Robert Noftz

Level 5 Valued Member
Have any of you noticed that jumping from the 32kg kettlebell to the 40kg feels like a really big jump? It certainly is a shock to my body. On both the swings and getups I feel that 40kg placing a demand on my entire body.

Damn I think I've been ready to use the 40kg for at least 6 weeks. But my budget is super limited right now. Cant wait to feel what it is like to swing.

My reason for posting though was I read if it feels too much you should continue with the 32 for some sets. Focus on maximum contraction. I spent I'd say around 6-8 weeks extra with the 24 than what was needed and when I started on the 32 I banged out 4 sets with ease.

Pavel said you will continue to get stronger using a weight you are comfortable with in the book so no need to tax your body too much.

Keep us updated. Would be cool to hear how you go with the 40 and whether you implement any of the things to try people have said about going for sinister. Adding 2 hand swings, increasing reps on lighter bell etc.....

Depending on your body weight, it can be a significant jump.
For me, a 32k is 41% of bdw, a 40kg is 51%, and a 48kg is 62%.

Even expressed in strictly in relation to one another, the 40kg is 25% heavier than the 32kg.

It definitely requires a leap of faith and good technique. Here is Pavel talking about large jumps in KB sizes.

Keep us updated. Would be cool to hear how you go with the 40 and whether you implement any of the things to try people have said about going for sinister. Adding 2 hand swings, increasing reps on lighter bell etc.....
I did start to implement some higher volume practice sessions with the 32kg. For example, I have at times done 8 sets of swings and 10 get ups with each arm. The higher volume seemed to go well. It just seemed like it was time to send my body the message that some greater demands were going to be placed on it. Both mentally and physically the 40kg got the message across.
It definitely feels different to do 5 sets of each with the 40kg than it does to use higher volume with the 32kg. The higher volume practice seems like it is good for endurance. An 8kg jump is a lot of weight for an exercise done with one hand. It feels more like a strength training or power training session.
It will be interesting to see how that develops over the next couple of months.

Depending on your body weight, it can be a significant jump.
For me, a 32k is 41% of bdw, a 40kg is 51%, and a 48kg is 62%.

Even expressed in strictly in relation to one another, the 40kg is 25% heavier than the 32kg.

It definitely requires a leap of faith and good technique. Here is Pavel talking about large jumps in KB sizes.

I decided to go with the large jump based upon Pavel's recommendation. I figured I would never know if his approach would work for me if I didn't actually try it. So far I have been getting great results implementing his methods.

These jumps are great if approached correctly. A weight that starts out as a test of your strength then becomes a conditioning exercise, while the next one, in time, develops more strength. Important thing in training is to actually adapt to something, not just struggle through the exercise with a certain weight. This is one part of genius in S&S, to get people to actually adapt to a certain level before moving on, and not just tick a box that you've "done' a certain weight.

Each one transition to bigger bell is much tougher. Its not linear. Changing 16kg to 24kg was easy. When I was going up from 24 to 32 in S&S the switch wasnt too hard. But going up from 32 to 40 is a totally different ball game. My transition from 32 to 40 in basic movements isnt complete, but I am doing a transition from 24+24 to 32+32 in double kb movments. It's tough. Going up from 32+32 to 40+40 will be very, very hard. I am really into 8kg increments, but after I manage to work with double two-poods, I will look for modifying my 32s into 36s. Just cleaning the Bulldogs is unreal now.

It certainly makes a great deal of sense that the lighter practitioners are probably going to have a tougher go of it with the large jumps. But as noted, it really (I mean really) forces one to own the weight. A good thing in my books. Anecdotal evidence also seems to suggest that the lighter people have an easier go at it with the swings, as opposed to TGU's for instance. This corresponds to my own experience as well.

For me, it was a surprisingly easy transition for getups. Once I had Simple down for both swings and TGUs, I was able to work the 40 in one rep at a time, and I'm currently using it for all 10 rep for the TGU, usually under 10 minutes. Swings come harder for me, and I'm not currently doing 1H 40K swings. though I have in the past ( not terribly well, I might add).

@Robert Noftz : Did you go straight into one-handed swings with the 40kg bell, or did you stick with the two-handed swing until comfortable using the 40kg?

@Robert Noftz : Did you go straight into one-handed swings with the 40kg bell, or did you stick with the two-handed swing until comfortable using the 40kg?
I went straight to one handed swings. I have not done a two handed swing in a long time. I only did them for the first week or two when I first started practicing with kettlebells. I always do one handed swings in my daily practice.

I wouldn't say I'm comfortable with them yet. I'm working on my technique and they still feel rough. When I jumped up to the heavier weight it seems like I wanted to start hinging really early. I wasn't doing that with the 32kg. I would say I am comfortable with them.

I am new to the forum, but registered just to reply to this post.

I completed the Simple standard last fall, but have held off on moving up to 40 kg. In part because I feel it is going to take a serious commitment and change in habits to continue on the road to Sinister.

In many ways, I BS'd my way to Simple. What does that mean? I took (and still take) days off; poor-ish diet, not enough sleep, etc. 32 kg is serious, but if you are persistent and patient, it will get conquered.

40 kg? Nuh uh. I first need to get my diet right, commit to regular, focused practice and not waste my bodily energy with proper sleep, hydration etc.

You can't BS the Bulldog. "Heavy weight is instructive", in more ways than one.

I have committed to the end of summer to bring the 40 on board. Until then, my 32 swings just fine.

Thanks Robert for a thought provoking post.

Thanks for the welcome. I will post my story in a few days, just wanted to post to Robert's thread while it was near the top!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom