all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Lat activation

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

Nit0ni

Level 2 Valued Member
I do pull ups, chin ups and rows as part of my program but i never feel my lats while doing them. They are contracted the whole time but upper back gives up much faster and its always the same no matter which excersise i do.

I do pull ups, chin ups and rows as part of my program but i never feel my lats while doing them. They are contracted the whole time but upper back gives up much faster and its always the same no matter which excersise i do.
What is your goal with feeling your lats?

What is your goal with feeling your lats?
Hypertrophy, i dont mind not feeling them but it seems like majority of the work is done by upper back muscles(probably teres major) since they reach failure before lats and they are also sore the next day.

Original Strength moves (especially rocking) has done wonders for activating my back and getting everything involved in pulling exercises. It didn't seem like something that would get me in touch with my scapula, but focusing on my shoulder blades moving properly has really done wonders for reminding my body how it's supposed to move.

One other option is to change ypur program to a Built Strong plan. I assume you are not using a Built strong plan otherwise “failure” would not have been a problem….

Back
Top Bottom