all posts post new thread

LCCJ progression

SamTX

Level 5 Valued Member
I'm poking around trying to find the layout of a LCCJ protocol and progression. I've never done this particular program before and don't know exactly where to start.

Today I managed to get some decent work at 5x5 with double 20kg bells, one minute rest. I then bumped up to the 24kg bells and had to drop the reps to 3. My reading shows that 3 rep sets may not qualify as "long course."

For those that use the LSSC approach as the backbone of your training, what does it look like over the course of weeks / months?

I'm poking around trying to find the layout of a LCCJ protocol and progression. I've never done this particular program before and don't know exactly where to start.

Today I managed to get some decent work at 5x5 with double 20kg bells, one minute rest. I then bumped up to the 24kg bells and had to drop the reps to 3. My reading shows that 3 rep sets may not qualify as "long course."

For those that use the LSSC approach as the backbone of your training, what does it look like over the course of weeks / months?
I guess the question would what kind of traits or performance do you want to cultivate ?

If you're interested in girevoy sports performance you might want to take notice of this Instagram feed. Which is an incredibly consistent log for someone interested in girevoy sports performance . By going backwards in his feed I think you'll find some fairly reliable patterns of work with some variety sprinkled in.

Otherwise for all around performance the kettlebell sf c&j protocol has a fine progression laid out, here.

Sam,

In addition to the article @Adachi posted, you can see a different style of training from an older Jon Engum article:

And another fun one if you like a little more variety, also from Jon:

The big thing you want to have over weeks/months is progression. If you start at 5 reps, grow the sets, then grow the reps. If you start at 3, same. You can do straight sets, or you can do ladders. For a ballistic like the C&J I like to double the RKC/ROP Ladder - 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 - but you can also train it more like a heavy grind and use the "regular" sized ladder - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Again, it depends what you want to do, how you want to train ... but no matter what you do, you gotta look at 6 progression strategies: more reps, more sets, more time, increased density (more in a fixed time interval or the same amount done in a shorter time interval), or less effort. This last one actually hangs over all of them - if you do 30 reps in 30 minutes today at a moderate effort but next time you do 40 reps in 30 at an INSANE effort, you may or may not have actually progressed.

LCCJ means Long Cycle Clean and Jerk, and the Long Cycle refers to doing a clean before every jerk as opposed to doing a single clean followed by a set of jerks.

3 reps is the goal in the KBSF BJJ course and the article Adachi posted is the first intermediate program in the course.

A lot of interest in LCCJ in the SF forum recently. Very interesting.

I would recommend the KBSF Plan 2B or another plan in A+A fashion. I did it for a couple months, it felt really good paired with easy aerobic work on off days. Certainly good for long term results, though in my case, it serves as one of many catalysts to just get me started in GS...

Alternatively, you can substitute out the C&P for C&J in GN programs like the Giant. I have done this too, though the temptation to rush form and cram in reps harms your progress. In true GS fashion, I would recommend spending plenty of time at lighter weights, and when you get accustomed to the form, start building up.

Last edited:
I just ran 8 weeks of c&j from KBSF then was mixing phase 2 of hec G kb berserk program (essentially 033 Q&D type serial circuits with cleans & jerks instead of swings & pushups) with my 033 Q&D for 7 weeks... I used 28s for KBSF and 24s for the phase 2 program, was a seem less transition

If your goal is to be able to perform a Long Cycle continuously for 10 minutes, like in Girevoy Sport, then according to professional athletes, the best approach is as follows:

You start with the smallest weights, i.e., 2x12kg, and train with them until you are able to do the Long Cycle for 10 minutes non-stop. You achieve this by gradually increasing your endurance. The workout load duration for the Long Cycle remains approximately 10 minutes each workout. However, in the beginning, you might only do 1 minute on, 1 minute off. Or, you might start with timed ladders, e.g., 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute, with appropriate rest periods after each work set. Or simply 10x 1 minute, 5x 2 minutes, etc.

At the start, you try to maintain a certain speed throughout. The pace for the Long Cycle would be an appropriate 6-10 RPM. So, you could begin with a pace of 6 repetitions per minute and run through the entire program until you can perform 6 reps per minute continuously for 10 minutes. That is, 60 reps within 10 minutes. Then you could increase the speed to, say, 8 RPM and train at that pace until you can perform 80 reps within 10 minutes. At some point, you then move up to the next weight class, where the steps should be as small as possible. So from 12 to 14kg, and so on.

I myself have never carried out this type of training, but I have read up on the topic because it interests me. There are certain programs specifically designed to work towards this goal.

Oh, and besides the 10-minute work sets, you'll also need to do some General Physical Preparedness (GPP) work to build your strength and so on.

Back
Top Bottom