all posts post new thread

Old Forum Learning to pistol squat

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ZacZech

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi everyone, longtime listener; first time caller. My question is regarding learning the pistol. My training, up to this point has consisted almost exclusively of kettlebell training I got my HKC in 2011 and just became SFG in August this past year. During that time my only focus has been the big 6 KettleBell movements, both single and double bell. Since then my focus has shifted to barbell deadlifts and I would like to keep that as my focus, just adding in pistol practice, using the GTG method. Does this seem wise? I can tell you right now my biggest obstacle will be ankle mobility, and this is where I need the most guidance, right now my plan is to do the ankle joint mobility drills we learned at SFG, and in the evenings to do the calf and hip flexor stretch from Relax into Stretch. Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hey Zac.

At what level you are in the pistols?

In terms of programming it depends on how intense are your deadlift practice. I think with some Easy Strength template like 10-15 solid reps per day you can't go wrong. When i was focused on a large number of swings i performed pistols as a warm-up with great results. So you can perform for example light 2x5 before deadlifts, and the next day when you're not doing deadlifts you can charge some reps like 5-7x2 or 5x3. Just examples and suggestions. It can be done in many ways, so i think more experienced guys will cleat it for you. But i can assure you that if there is any doubt, always go back to the principles of Easy Strength. I never failed with ES.

Coordination and balance are very important in pistols training. Try to do some cross-crawls with 2-3 sec hold in top position, then do some neck nods/turns. Focus on gripping floor with toes. Some standing bird dogs will do the work also. You can combine together - cross-crawls with birddogs. Don't bother about reps, just practice the most fluid movement you can whenever you can.

The second drill is Single-leg rocking. If you are familiar with Original Strength you probably know the rocking. The single version i owe to Josh Halbert demonstrated in of his videos. It is tricky move and not so easy. It shows a lot of assymetries. The catchy detail is in the free leg, the hip must be parallel to the floor. It tends to have outward twisting. You can twist it a little more to inside. Rock back and forth few times and then try some normal pistol. You will see the difference, i guarantee.

The bottom position is the most difficult. Here the best drill that works for me was the "Fire in the hole" technique from the Naked Warrior. I took some weight (not so heavy) to counterbalance and raise few inches  hold for 2-5 secs and back to total relax. You can use it also without weight with some trx, rope or door.

I hope it was helpful :)

Can you do a full deep front squat with your bodyweight on the bar?  Or a deep goblet squat?  If so, the ankle mobility should be there for a pistol.  Maybe you meant stability?  I'm not an SFG (yet) but I'm mostly just thinking to myself there.

Im assuming you have read Naked Warrior.  If not, go read it.

The thing that I find seems to work best for mobility for me is 1. Super joints and 2. Just practicing the movement a lot.  The best way to develop the mobility for a squat is to squat more.    As soon as you can do one good pistol, do just one several times throughout the day.  GTG.

Hey guys, thank you much for the responses, very helpful.  I'm pretty much brand new to the pistol, I've dabbled with it over the past couple years, just to realize how difficult it was for me, so I haven't spent the requisite time with it to master it. I have NW, I've read it, and am currently re-reading it. And I just got Super Joints, I haven't read it yet. Again, thank you guys, I've got some reading and some practicing to do.

Zac, if you are focusing on the DL right now, it would be better not to practice pistols but do lead up exercises, such as ankle mobility drills.

Pavel,

What kind of ankle mobility drills would you suggest for the pistol? Thanks in advance sir.

I managed to learn to do full pistols very quickly using pavels naked warrior while I was training using enter the kettlebell.  I started doing pistols to a chair which came just above knee level with complete control.  I practiced all the techniques outlined in the book such as gripping the deck with your toes, pulling up the knee cap pushing the butt back etc.  I used to practice this for just 1 rep at first during adverts on TV or through the day when I was bored & when I reached perfect 5 reps I lowered the height of the chair. From there once I progressed to full butt to calf pistols I introduced isometrics by sitting in the whole with maximum tension which increased flexability & flushed a previous knee niggling injury away.

I have had a previous injury to my left ankle where I went through all the stabilisers & most of the ligaments  but this never seemed to prevent me from learning pistols by using pavels teachings in the naked warrior as it was so progressive. Now my ankle injury is a distant memory from all the strength, stability & balance trained by using pistols.

The naked warrior was a game changer for me........hope Pavel brings out a new book on bodyweight training after S & S.  The book perfectly complimented ETK

I do incorporate ankle rotations everyday though in a joint mobility programme that is almost the same as Pavels super joints.

I have found if u go rock bottom & allow your knee to go past your toe (in alignment) if you have the flexibility it improved my explosiveness in sprints.

It is not just the ankle. The calf plays a major role in dorsiflexion.

http://www.mikereinold.com/2013/03/ankle-mobility-exercises-to-improve-dorsiflexion.html

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom