all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Level 1 Cert challenge - success!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jyork

Level 1 Valued Member
I've posted a bit before - this will be my longest post.

Background: 50 y.o. male, 5'11, 165 lbs. I first picked up a kettlebell 3 years ago trying to get stronger for mountain biking. I've followed a variety of programs - Bike James (RKC mountain bike coach), Geoff Neupert, Pat Flynn, RoP, S&S. I've attended the one day StrongFirst KB course. I also had the good fortune to spend a couple hours with Dan John in his garage gym. I decided this year that since I turned 50, the SFG Level 1 cert would be a good challenge.

Prep: I've been working consistently with kettlebells for almost 3 years. 4 months before the cert I started the Brett Jones prep program based on the 20 kg snatch test bell (a perk of turning 50). I completed that program and for the 7 weeks before the cert I switched to Dan John's Peaking and Assessment for SFG Preparation program (you can find it on the forum - essentially RoP with an extra snatch day and double KB work).

Results: Simply a great weekend in Philly with Phil Scarito and crew. The training I had done gave me enough of a base that it was a challenging but not crushing weekend. I had enough in the tank to absorb the lessons and make a variety of needed changes to my techniques on the big 6. I passed the technique tests and did 100 snatches in 4:24 and am now a new SFG1 Instructor.

Final thoughts: It was worth every minute it - and by that I mean the preparation and the weekend. It is nice to be part of the SFG community. Do the work. Trust the process. Show up and rock and roll.

What's next? I think I'll try to knock out the Simple goal from S&S in the next 6 weeks...if possible. After that I get to spend a prolonged period of time out of the country in a remote place courtesy of the U.S. Navy. I'm hoping they have kettlebells there, if not, I'll be ordering some because the SFG2 may be in my future when I return...

Congratulations! I always think I'm in great shape until I read all the stories here like yours about being twice my age and passing the cert. Well deserved and keep rocking and rolling!

@jyork, Welcome to the StrongFirst Forum! I will flag you as an SFG and you'll see that appear under your name shortly.

@Phil Scarito - every time I work with him, I am reminded anew of how good a teacher he is _and_ how strong he is _and_ what good form he demonstrates on everything. Congratulations to you and to all the new SFG's.

-S-

Phil rocks - and so do you. Congrats, thank you for your report!

Phil rocks - and so do you. Congrats, thank you for your report!

congrats! Always good to hear inspiration from someone of similar age, size and build, thank you for posting.

@jyork - Thank you for this post, I greatly appreciate it. These posts are why I love what I do. I'm glad you enjoyed the weekend. Like I said in the beginning of the Cert, this weekend will change your life. Keep training smart and please keep in touch with me my friend.
Stay Strong,

Phil

@Phil Scarito, @Steve Freides, @Pavel Macek, @Anna C, @MattM, @taedoju, @ali --

Thanks for the kind replies. Started training again today - very light and easy S&S...felt nice to be moving again. Best part of the day - some colleagues, hearing me talk about it, asked if I could do a session with them b/c they want to learn some of the basics, "You know, because you're an instructor now."

I doubt I will ever be a personal trainer, but this is right up my alley - helping a couple of friends move better and figure out how to lift properly.

John

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom