all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Light days: what do you do?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Oscar

Level 7 Valued Member
What do you do when you want to take a light day?

I usually use my normal weights, increase rest between sets and reduce volume. I might also reduce reps per set. I very rarely reduce the weight.

I'm not doing anything that intense, but if I feel run down I reduce volume at the same weight.

In my S&S practice, I use lighter weights with more density (decrease rest times). For instance, I literally only have 30 minutes on Thursdays for a warm up and workout. I'll grab a lighter bell and run through a timed test (5 min swings & 10 min tgu). It feels rejuvenating, and it's great to practice your recovery breathing.

I understand the benefits of light days but psychologically they don't really work for me. I like to exercise hard and so rather than light days I incorporate more rest days, such as by taking 3 workout/7 day programs and extending them over 9 days

It depends on what kind of a light day it is.

If it's a part of regular weekly programming, it's typically normal volume but lighter weight. For example, in a certain successful program I did a day of heavy volume squats, followed by a day of light volume squats, with an intensity squat day at the end of the week. As the light day was part of weekly planning, the volume was pretty high, tens of reps, but the weight was relatively low. It was skill practice, likely went into the hypertrophy level, but it was also restorative after the true heavy volume day before it.

If I want to take some light days for a longer period, a deload, like after a meet or a training cycle or in the middle of a tough training cycle, I go both lighter in weight and volume, and likely also change the exercises a bit. I find it's important to keep moving, using the whole body in a meaningful way. Total rest is a no-no, it makes me feel significantly worse and I 100% believe it's bad for me, like when a cycle gets harder it gets harder gradually, I believe it should be somewhat gradual in how it gets easier; so I keep moving, exercising.

I use a comparable load but train with variations that are easier/less of a grind. These done with higher volume/number of reps but less overall time.

Basically my light days are metcons or HIIT with jumprope.

I call mine Variety Days, after what they're called in the Rite of Passage in Enter The Kettlebell. I typically do things I don't do on other days, and in ways that aren't taxing. For me, a light way is some bw dips, some ring work, windmills, and light kb snatches, but it varies over time. It's my "do whatever I feel like" time with my S&C training, and I tend to work on a particular few skills for a while and then switch things up.

-S-

I just take an extra rest day - because if I feel I need to go lighter that day it's probably a sign that I 'm not yet recovered from life/ training.

Perhaps an easy walk or OS resets if anything.

in the past i did random act of variety. now, i'm working on the program i write, which include a lot of squat. so light day i drink coffee and rest.

When I need a light-day, it's because I am mentally and/or physically tired, therefore I sleep. But basically, I am still trying to figure it out ...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom