all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Light Dumbell System

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

J7M

First Post
Hey all,
Just read Eugene Sandow's "Strength and how to obtain it", after seeing him referenced by Pavel.
I noticed however that alot of old timey strongmen used the light dumbbell system, with light weight and alot of reps.

My question is how would you or Pavel incorporate it in your practice?

Thanks and stay strong.

Attachments

• S.png
    S.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 28
They also used a variety of isometrics and a lot of heavy singles with odd implements.

I too have pondered this, and my conclusion is that you can get a mix of metabolic stress and mechanical tension in many ways and it will still be effective. In this case I believe the light weights were used to elicit metabolic pump and the heavy low rep work was used to build limit strength.

I have considered using a combination of lower weight/high rep work mixed with longer hold overcoming isometrics. While I am 95% certain this would pan out well, I am just not interested enough to try it...

Hello,

@J7M
If your goal is to increase you near max strength, then this kind of high repetition training, with very light weight is probably not the best option.

Of course, if one starts from scratch, then even light weights may provide an increase in strength. However, up to a point we reach pretty fast, one is obliged to use heavier weights. As @North Coast Miller said, if limit strength is the goal, then low repetition heavy weight may work better.

Supplementing this with some exercises at higher rep range is beneficial for metabolic stress. It can increase size (but not necessarily strength) and endurance as well.

Eugene Sandow also has a routine with low repetition and heavy weights. From what I remember, he also stated that as soon as we reach the required number of repetitions, one has to increase the weight and start over. This is a progressive overload system.

I would also add that most of these strongmen were wrestlers, circus guys, gymnasts, etc... For example, B. Pandour also had a wonderful physique and was pretty strong. He claimed building it using 5 to 10 lbs db. It sounds almost impossible as far as "modern science" is concerned. However, he was a former gymnast.

IMHO, I think there is some kind of "marketing" thing: selling a light weight method allows to catch a larger amount of people.

In addition, they also had a very specific diet. Sandow and the other may have found the diet that worked best for them.

I remember an article of Aleks Salkin where he stated that one could do exactly what @North Coast Miller said:
- low rep for strength
- high rep for hypertrophy
In this case, the high rep was a set of push up close to failure (for chest in this case), performed at the end of the training. This logic can be applied for almost all body part.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Being an older martial artist I really like the system.

I have been using it as part of my training for nearly 1 year now.
I find it ideal for developing better muscular control & a fantastic recovery tool.
It's also a great pick me up, pre a training session.

When I first started it, I did not quite get the concept and was sort of just going through the motions.
Once I understood of squeezing & slightly holding the muscle at full contraction, things started to work.

Also the light dumbbells' (2-3kg) is so important to really isolate the muscle correctly & get the mind muscle connection.
The ego was always trying to use heavier weights but it does not work near as well.

I train each arm & shoulder exercise to failure, but with that weight it does not tax the body like it would with a heavy weight.
The amount you squeeze & hold will also determine how high the reps go.

It's important to start with biceps (as stated in the book), the fatigue you accumulate helps drive down the rep numbers on other parts of the body. Otherwise you would be there for ages trying to fatigue each muscle.
Biceps will also be your highest reps of all muscle groups, the rest of the numbers are a lot lower.

I only use a number of exercises specified in the book with some additional ones not documented.
Done if the following order.
> Bicep: Curls & reverse curls
> Shoulders: Upright row & side laterals raises
> Triceps: Kick backs
> Chest: Standing reverse fly/Pec deck (squeeze chest when bringing the weight together)
> Back: Shrugs (but squeezing the lats on the up lift - not the shoulder & traps)

How do I program it:
* I use it as a warm-up pre martials arts session (2x days a weeks)
* I use it as a warm-up pre low rep heavy kettlebell training (also 2x days a week). Which is what Sandow does in his book with heavy weights. Just give yourself a little break of a few minutes before starting.
* Used along with Indian clubs & Taichi as recovery on days off.

I find the system more in common with "Iron Wire Fist" found as muscle & tendon strengthen tool in hard styles of martial arts. With a bit of isometric in the hold.

I think great for much older people for health (most you see use light dumbbells going through the motions - no squeeze & hold)
As for you people purely into strength - maybe for recovery or warm up.
But if you were relying on this system as a pure strength tool. You would be absolutely kidding yourself.

Am aware of a chap called the Bioneer who has a video about light weights on his youtube channel, you might get some further ideas from that video.

I have seen the Bioneer's video. He post some great stuff.
His weights on that clip are heavier than recommended by the Bronze era guys & he only trains with them once a week.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom