all posts post new thread

LISS Advice

WhomtheBellTolls

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi my Strong friends!
Looking at adding some LISS training to my weekly training schedule..
I'm just looking for some LISS guidelines or Strongfirst endorsed protocols or programs!
Thanks in advance!!

Hi my Strong friends!
Looking at adding some LISS training to my weekly training schedule..
I'm just looking for some LISS guidelines or Strongfirst endorsed protocols or programs!
Thanks in advance!!
1. Pick a form of "cardio" - e.g. walking, running, rowing, cycling, etc. Preferably one that you enjoy.
2. Do it, to the point that it would be difficult to have a conversation but not impossible.
3. Ideal duration 30 min +, but I suggest building up to that, depending what you pick.
4. Do this 3-6x a week.

I would like to add: Safety first.

If you do anything with high impact like running or running down from a mountain, just know that technique will be important. Ten kilos extra weight and/or faulty technique will put a lot of stress on your poor knees. And remember you have to keep those knees for the rest of your life. There are a couple of stories about amateur runners who hurt their knees and ankles permanently because they ran down from mountains or ran too much on solid ground or similar training.

Personally I just like to walk or bicycle on my stationary bike. Almost zero risk of injury, very little focus on technique is needed and it always feels good.

If you do anything with high impact like running or running down from a mountain, just know that technique will be important. Ten kilos extra weight and/or faulty technique will put a lot of stress on your poor knees. And remember you have to keep those knees for the rest of your life. There are a couple of stories about amateur runners who hurt their knees and ankles permanently because they ran down from mountains or ran too much on solid ground or similar training.

Personally I just like to walk or bicycle on my stationary bike. Almost zero risk of injury, very little focus on technique is needed and it always feels good.
I agree, Im 220. I think I read that for a 200+ pound person, your knees take around another 100 or more pounds of weight. I’ve never been trained to run but when I do it’s a light barefoot jog in the grass. If I lived close to a beach it would be by the water for sure. Most of my “liss” training is taking a brisk walk.

Anders-

As I get older (52 now) I', really trying to embrace the Don't F*** Yourself Up (DFYU) mentality. Sure, I want to get stronger and leaner, but when I walk across flat ground, my knees sound like a commercial for Rice Crispies- snap, crackle, pop! Ortho said my right knee is older than I am, and that I'll need a replacement in ten years.

I agree, Im 220. I think I read that for a 200+ pound person, your knees take around another 100 or more pounds of weight. I’ve never been trained to run but when I do it’s a light barefoot jog in the grass. If I lived close to a beach it would be by the water for sure. Most of my “liss” training is taking a brisk walk.
I'm at 255lbs. now, and I've got a bum ankle (it was missing a step on a staircase and getting a gnarly sprain.)
I will say lately, I've had a lot of good luck with cardio-style effects from the single bell clean and jerk, loaded carries, and box stepping protocols.
And, fwiw, I haven't noticed any wear or tear on my joints, yet.

I second votes for box steps, loaded carries, walking, rucking.

I also suggest Nordic walking. Burns more calories as the same paced regular walking because it engages more muscles groups. You can also do it loaded.
Nordic walking is great and way less popular than it should be in the US. Not only does it engage more muscles, and really tie the body together with the contralateral gait pattern, but you can use the poles to greatly decrease stress on the lower body. I've got a number of chronic injuries from decades of basketball, and regular running, rucking, or even walking for any kind of time or distance are not happening for me. Depending on how I feel that day, a regular half mile walk with my dog can be a struggle, but I can Nordic walk 5+ miles/1+ hours with no problem.

Unfortunately, the selection of poles available in the US is pretty meager. I much prefer fixed length poles (you have to get the right length for your height) over adjustable poles, and almost no one sells them here. I ordered mine from a vendor in Spain.

The main thing that distinguishes Nordic walking poles from regular hiking/trekking poles is the "gloves" that strap onto your hands and let you push down on the poles with more force and without having to grip the handles tightly (as opposed to plain wrist straps). The gloves usually attach to the poles with some kind of quick release mechanism so you can detach your hands from the poles without unstrapping.

There's definitely a technique to Nordic walking, but it's not hard to pick up and there are lots of tutorials on YouTube. I like the fact that the technique adds more of an element of mindfulness to Nordic walking. I don't carry a phone when I walk, or like to listen to music or podcasts or anything else when out on roads shared with cars. Some of the time I just think, and some of the time I just concentrate on my poling timing and technique.

I'm at 255lbs. now, and I've got a bum ankle (it was missing a step on a staircase and getting a gnarly sprain.)
I will say lately, I've had a lot of good luck with cardio-style effects from the single bell clean and jerk, loaded carries, and box stepping protocols.
And, fwiw, I haven't noticed any wear or tear on my joints, yet.
Sounds like a lot of good stuff. I’ve mostly been snatching exclusively for most of my conditioning for the past 1-1.5 years. I do loaded carries as well and I just generally don’t like to run, maybe some day. I love getting outdoors and walking some trails though or grabbing a fishing pole and walk around a pond.

I was not familiar with Nordic walking. At first glance I thought, well I can't do that where I live... no snow. But a few Google searches taught me what it is, and I see that I can. I'm intrigued. I could do it in my neighborhood and educate my neighbors too :)

Back
Top Bottom