all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Living with one bell - which one?

Michael Perry

SFG II, SFB
Certified Instructor
Here’s a practical question.

You’re going to be living out of a suitcase for a year and can have one kettlebell. Your goal is to maintain the snatch test, the SFG II press test and the SFB push up test, all at whatever weight or progression is required for your age, gender, and body weight.

For the one kettlebell, do you take your snatch test bell, or a heavy bell? Even if the heavy approach would be preferred, could the lighter approach work?

Snatch test bell - One school of thought might say take a snatch test bell and rely on higher volume or bottoms up with that plus the pushup training to maintain the press. This approach gets points for convenience.

Heavy bell - Another might say the snatch test bell may be more convenient, but it won't work. Instead, take one that’s 70-80% of the press test bell, and rely on heavier snatches/swings with that be able to hit the snatch test.

@Karen Smith has mentioned maintaining her press while traveling with no kettlebell by just bodyweight training. Some @Geoff Neupert strength programs also carry great conditioning benefit, though usually with heavier weight. Iron Cardio from @Brett Jones could be a template for maintaining these standards with one bell. So might this single bell C&J program program from Pavel. There was an article I can't find now on a pushup and jump program that might have a place too.

So, the basic choice is snatch test bell or a heavy one? If you’d like to offer a different option, consider doing so in terms of % of the snatch test or press test weight (or a bell size up or down) rather than kg’s which will be different for everyone.

My guess is most in this community would normally take the heavier approach. Still, the convenience benefit of the lighter bell matter. Someone has said “Put me on an island for a year with a 16kg and I’ll come out stronger.” Could the above goals be met with a bell below snatch test weight?

Looking forward to the community’s thoughts!

Interesting question.

My spontaneous answer would be snatch test bell +15-20%, mostly +4kg. But the lighter approach could work with 060 etc. towards the end of the year.

Handstand pushups could be a helpful element.

28kg.

For me, that's the sweet spot between being an overload compared to the snatch test bell (although at 57 years old I'm in the "Masters" 20kg category, which makes the test trivial), but being light enough to still do longer sets and accumulate a relatively high volume at a relatively high density.

I'd even consider 32kg. I'm currently regularly doing Q&D 044 sessions with 28kg x 15/2 and 32 x 8/2, and 015 sessions with 32kg x 10 x10. 32kg is getting pretty comfortable and being able to do the snatch test with 28kg is a benchmark I'm looking ahead to.

But 32kg is more of a "use it or lose it" weight for me as far as feeling really comfortable with it. It's comfortable when I've trained up for it over time, but not if I haven't been using it regularly. Even now, 28kg is my most common working press bell, and when snatching 32 I have to be a little more cognizant of the condition of my hands, whereas with 28kg it's never an issue at all. I could maybe struggle through the snatch test right now with 28, but definitely not with 32. 28kg (singles and doubles) is the size I use the most, so if I had to choose one, that's what I'd ultimately pick.

Last edited:
Here’s a practical question.

You’re going to be living out of a suitcase for a year and can have one kettlebell. Your goal is to maintain the snatch test, the SFG II press test and the SFB push up test, all at whatever weight or progression is required for your age, gender, and body weight.

For the one kettlebell, do you take your snatch test bell, or a heavy bell? Even if the heavy approach would be preferred, could the lighter approach work?

Snatch test bell - One school of thought might say take a snatch test bell and rely on higher volume or bottoms up with that plus the pushup training to maintain the press. This approach gets points for convenience.

Heavy bell - Another might say the snatch test bell may be more convenient, but it won't work. Instead, take one that’s 70-80% of the press test bell, and rely on heavier snatches/swings with that be able to hit the snatch test.

@Karen Smith has mentioned maintaining her press while traveling with no kettlebell by just bodyweight training. Some @Geoff Neupert strength programs also carry great conditioning benefit, though usually with heavier weight. Iron Cardio from @Brett Jones could be a template for maintaining these standards with one bell. So might this single bell C&J program program from Pavel. There was an article I can't find now on a pushup and jump program that might have a place too.

So, the basic choice is snatch test bell or a heavy one? If you’d like to offer a different option, consider doing so in terms of % of the snatch test or press test weight (or a bell size up or down) rather than kg’s which will be different for everyone.

My guess is most in this community would normally take the heavier approach. Still, the convenience benefit of the lighter bell matter. Someone has said “Put me on an island for a year with a 16kg and I’ll come out stronger.” Could the above goals be met with a bell below snatch test weight?

Looking forward to the community’s thoughts!
A bell one size up from your snatch test bell.

Right now for me it would be 24kg.
It’s the weight I’m most comfortable snatching for A+A and Q&D workouts.
Can also do one arm swings with over speed eccentric.

For grinds, multiple rep getups, or getups with presses added. Bottoms up work, pistols, goblet squats, press ladders, weighted and unweighted pull-ups and dips.

Then of course you have waiter walks, rack carries, and suitcase carries.

And this isn’t to speak of things like crawling and push-up variations.

I could make a pretty good year of 24kg kettlebell plus body weight training.

I'd definitely go heavier. My snatch test is 24kg, and my SFGII press test is 48kg, and working with the 24kg a lot (I used one or two for the majority of my SFGI train up) didn't even get me to press a 40kg. As is, doing almost only 24kg work in comfortable sets of 10 I easily pressed the 36kg and barely failed at 40kg. I think if I had worked harder with that as a goal, I might be able to.

I'd probably pick a 32kg (133% snatch bell, 66% SFGII press bell). I think even that might be a stretch to press the 48kg, but maybe I could make it work. On the flip side, I'm comfortable snatching the 32kg and could make it work to pass the snatch test. I think if I also started getting into handstand pushups on parallettes that would make it less of a jump and much more doable.

I can't pass the SFGII press test yet anyways. Next year.... :)

Which one are you more likely to use?

If I had no choice but to limit myself to only one bell and was trying to maintain the snatch test, then I'd personally stick w. the snatch test weight.

If you enjoy working w. bells heavier than the snatch test weight, then go for it. BUT, I have a 28kg bell at my in-laws place in Japan (it's the ONLY kettlebell I have there), and now that I've gotten older and my taste for heavier KB snatches isn't what it used to be, it gets very little use even when I'm in town...

24kg. Not that I can snatch it or press it at present, but it's about 33% of my bodyweight, which is supposed to be the sweet spot for force production for swings. It's also my snatch size bell, so there's that too.

I can't find it for the life of me, but there's supposedly something from Pavel saying Russian soldiers only used a 2ekg and they did alright.

One year. One bell. One year from now I’ll be a month past 60.

I am A&A snatching the 32kg up to 250 times per session. That can’t last forever and I feel it a bit more than a few years ago. I truly know better, but the “curse of the testicles” demands that I choose the 32kg and if it eventually gets the better of me so be it. If it doesn’t, and I believe it won’t, I’ll think to myself “shoulda picked the 36!!”

@Steve Freides said an entire life full with two words on training as one ages: “be relentless.”

One year. One bell. One year from now I’ll be a month past 60.

I am A&A snatching the 32kg up to 250 times per session. That can’t last forever and I feel it a bit more than a few years ago. I truly know better, but the “curse of the testicles” demands that I choose the 32kg and if it eventually gets the better of me so be it. If it doesn’t, and I believe it won’t, I’ll think to myself “shoulda picked the 36!!”

@Steve Freides said an entire life full with two words on training as one ages: “be relentless.”
Out of interest are you training anything else other than the snatch? I am contemplating focusing my training around the snatch albeit at a much lighter weight than you and I am interested in others experience of this approacH. Thanks!

Out of interest are you training anything else other than the snatch? I am contemplating focusing my training around the snatch albeit at a much lighter weight than you and I am interested in others experience of this approacH. Thanks!
Hey, paules. My kettlebell training has mostly been A&A snatching, usually 3 days a week. I’ll ruck ~4 miles two days a week. My left shoulder doesn’t like pressing but snatching doesn’t bother it. I’m going to try some light jerks in the next week but to stay within your question: usually 3 days a week of snatching for 60~67 minutes per session.

Putting aside the fact that if your living out of a suitcase a pull up bar and some strong resistance bands would be far more convenient, I’d go for a 32kg. My snatch test would be 24kg and press test 36/40kg depending on if I drank a glass of water beforehand.

I think it boils down to how gassed you can get doing snatches vs how many reps you can do on the press. If you can do more than 5 press reps you probably need heavier, if you can’t do more than 60 snatches in 5 min you probably need lighter.

Back
Top Bottom