all posts post new thread

Old Forum Long cycle observation

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Physical Culture

Level 5 Valued Member
An observation, which may be applicable to other areas of training than long cycle.

A few days ago, I completed a 10 minute set of clean and jerks with 2x24k.  I worked at a slow, steady pace of 4 rpm.  This was a challenge for me.  My best set ever is 45 reps, so this was about 90% of my best max.  I was glad to end the set at 10:00, but could have gone on for a few more reps if I had to.  It was only my second 10 minute set ever with this weight.

I looked back over my training log.  In the two months building up to this set, I did 24 sets of clean and jerks over 5 minutes in length with this weight.  I did one 8 minute set, and 3 seven minute sets.  The other 20 sets were 5-6 minutes.  I decided out of the blue to test 10 minutes, and made it. I got 40 reps, doing training sets of 20-24 reps.

This validated in my mind a lot of what Pavel writes about strength and endurance- frequent training, not to failure, leaving gas in the tank.  Putting in a lot of submaximal reps over time leads to higher numbers when tested.

Now I'm back to 5 minute sets at 5 rpm, working my way back up slowly.   Consistency beats intensity.

It is always to see people who are from sports confirm these things. Awesome as always Steve!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom