all posts post new thread

Long-Length Partial Reps For Hypertrophy

Kenny Croxdale

Level 7 Valued Member

Long-Length Partial Reps

This was posted on this forum. I would give them credit for it but I cannot rememeber who posted it.

Stretching For Hypertrophy Training

Long Length Partials falls inline with some earlier research that determined Stretching was effective for increasing muscle mass.

Stretching Bird Wings

Jose Antonio that subjected quail (yes, birds) to an extreme stretching protocol that involved hanging weights on their wings for 28 days. During the month-long study, weight was progressively added. Ultimately, the birds experienced size increases of more than 300 percent in the stretched muscles.

Dr Jacob Wilson, University of Tampa Human Performance Lab

Wilson's Lab had athletes stretching between Hypertrophy Traiing Set and found there was an increase in muscle mass.

Chris Thibaudeau

Chris Thibaudeau (Strength/Bodybuilding Coach) written some article that promote it and outline the protocol.

Loaded Stretches For Hypetrophy

Antonio, Wilson and Thibaudeau's Stretching for Hypertrophy Protocol is referred to as Loaded Stretches.

Examples

1) Dumbbell Bench Presses

Holding Dumbbells in the bottom part the Bench Press; Dumbbell provide a greater lower stretch that a Barbell.

Stretches Pecs, Triceps and Anterior Delthoids.

2) Full Squat

Sitting in a Full Squat with a Loaded Barbell.

Streches Quads.

3) Hanging Pull Ups

Lat Stretch.

Are Long-Length Partial Reps the Secret to Hypertrophy? | BarBend

Natural bodybuilder, powerlifter, and BSc-qualified biochemist Jeff Nippard released a YouTube video on Nov. 11, 2023, hailing long-length partial reps as “The World’s Smartest Intensity Technique for Muscle Growth.” That’s a bold claim, but he presented evidence to back it up.

Traditional reps typically require the lifter to move the weight through their full range of motion (ROM). Long-length partial reps focus only on the first half of the rep where the muscle is at its longest, hence the term “long-length partial.” Nippard used a biceps curl as his first example, demonstrating that the long-length partial rep would begin in the same place as a traditional rep but would end halfway through the concentric rather than at the fully contracted position.

The World's Smartest Intensity Technique For Muscle Growth

The title to this video (World Smartest) is over the top.

The same is true for any promoting something as "The Best", which is trite.

If something were truely "The Best" it would be the only thing used.

If something is really that great, it should be labed as "One of The Best.

With said, Long Length may be one of the most effective for Hypertrophy Training.

Long-Length Partial Reps

Nippard detailed that seven out of eight studies comparing long-length to short-length partials showed that the stretch rather than the contraction compels the most muscle adaptation. While many lifters believe that a full ROM is always best, Nippard showed four out of five studies favoring long-length partials over the full ROM for muscle growth. None of the studies referenced found a different ROM to be better than long-length partial reps. (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)

Nippard isn’t alone in his favoring for long-length partial reps. Leading researcher Dr. Milo Wolf told Nippard that Wolf uses long-length partials for all of his hypertrophy training. “We expect an improvement in growth of maybe five or 10 percent using lengthened partials versus full range of motion,” said Dr Wolf. “[For] maximizing hypertrophy; that’s meaningful. I’m pretty confident that lengthened partials should be included in your [hypertrophy] training.”

3 Long-Length Partial Rep Methods

Nippard explained that there are three ways he uses long-length partials in his current training.

Method One: Intensity Technique

Nippard mainly uses this technique on his hamstrings and back to extend the number of reps per set. He begins with the full ROM but prolongs failure by switching to long-length partials when he can no longer complete full reps. He terminates a set when he can no longer lift the weight halfway through his ROM.
“Usually, this will allow me to get another three to six partial reps,” Nippard explained, noting that endpoint consistency for long-length partials is important. This intensity method is not necessarily suitable for every exercise as fatigue could limit or hinder training sessions due to insufficient recovery.

Method Two: Every Single Rep of a Set

Advised by Dr. Wolf, Nippard shared that his current programming requires long-length partials for the entirety of his several exercises’ last sets. This enables more total time spent in the most anabolic part of the ROM. Nippard aims to fail at around the 10-rep mark, noting that others may need to tweak the weight to achieve the same. Nippard believes long-length partials are particularly suited for exercises dumbbell flyes since the top of the movement where there is a little resistance is easy to cut out.

Method Three: Integrated Partials

“As a slightly different technique, try something called integrated partials,” shared the fitness influencer. “Rather than leaving all lengthened partials until the end of the set, sprinkle them in throughout the set.” Nippard prefers this method on the pec deck, for example, where he alternates full ROM reps and long-length partial reps until failure. Once again, this method allows the lifter more time in the most anabolic ROM, but integrated partials include full contractions. “I find [integrated reps] keep the set more engaging and cause a crazy pump.”

Long-Length Partial Rep Mistakes to Avoid

• Don’t lose control of form. These are not “cheat reps.”
  • Don’t slip back to full ROM. Maintain half reps.
  • Don’t throw out all other types of exercise. Use a combination of ROMs.
Nippard stated that despite the promising results around long-length partials, full ROM training has also been supported by decades of research and results. So, while there is evidence that long-length partials are beneficial, they should more likely be considered additive than exclusive in one’s training.

Last edited:
This is exactly the principle I use when planning and executing my isometrics, right down to the "iso-eccentric" jolts I apply in pulse form.

Arrived at by some of the earlier research on stretch hypertrophic response and isometric training by muscle length.

There is also some recent research on long length reduced ROM that probably uses a similar dynamic.

A few thoughts after reading this:

I've definitely experienced hypertrophy from Extreme Isometrics.

This reminds me of Bud Jeffries' technique of training the end ROMs separately and letting the middle ROM figure itself out.

This also makes me think about how much gymnastic work takes place in the most mechanically disadvantaged positions possible and how absolutely yoked they can get in the muscles most elongated in those positions.

This guy has preached constant tension and partial reps for years. Note: he is older now and admits he doesn’t look a good as he once did. I just post the link description so as not to distract from the original post. He does not use long length partials.

TITLE: All bodybuilders should know THIS, turns out I was right
NATURAL GALLANT BODYBUILDING Youtube channel

Last edited:
FWIW, I also suspect this dynamic falls into the reason fast eccentrics work better than slow - the magic is the moment of max muscle length at high tension, under a load that forces it a little bit longer.

This guy has preached constant tension and partial reps for years. Note: he is older now and admits he doesn’t look a good as he once did. I just post the link description so as not to distract from the original post.
All Bodybuilders Should Know THIS, Turns Out I Was Right

This is good anedotal data that indicates it works.

Milo Wolf, PhDc noted in of his youtube presentation that it was part of many of the older bodybuilder training programs.

Partial Repetition Training

I have used both Short and Long Length Partial Repetition Training with some exercises.

Full Range Movements

One of the issues with Full Range Training is that only around one third of a it Overloads the muscle in a movement.

The remaining two-third of the movement is Underloaded.

Greater muscle gains by Overloading the muscles.

Research by Dr Gideon Ariel determing that. I have posted that information on this forum multiple times.

Ensuring Muscle OverLoading

Two way to do that is...

1) Partial Range Movements in Short, Middle and Long Range of a movement.

2) Accommodating Ascending Strength Training

Attaching Bands and/or Chain to an Ascending Strength Cure Exercises enables an exercise to be Overloaded through a greater Range of The Movement.

Ascending Strength Curve Movements are those where the it is harder in then bottom part of the exercise and then become easier the higher the weight is lifted: Squat, Pressing, Deadlifts, Leg Press.

Constant Tension

Yes, this is known and been around for a while.

It produces "The Pump". which produces a downstream anabolic effect.

Long Length Partials

Research by Dr Brad Schenfield determoed three mechanism optimize hypertrophy.

Muscle Damage like a Loaded Stretch in a Full Range Mpvement one of th=

Full Ramge Movemets like Full Squats. Dumbbell Bench Pressing, Deficit Deadlifts. Pull Ups, etc provide a Loaded Stretch.

Only performing a Long Length Training Moverment. as you noted. maintains Constant Tension.
He does not use long length partials.
Short Range Partials

You mean that he doesn't use Short Length Partials.

It get a little consusing at time. I know that that goes.

Last edited:
This also makes me think about how much gymnastic work takes place in the most mechanically disadvantaged positions possible and how absolutely yoked they can get in the muscles most elongated in those positions.
As a not really all that yoked person, I will attest that nothing hits my biceps harder than straight arm work. Chin ups, curls, etc don't hold a candle to the DOMs I get after planche work. If I weren't so attached to certain exercises I would test a few cycles of straight arm only work and see what happens to things like bent arm pushing and pulling.

As a not really all that yoked person, I will attest that nothing hits my biceps harder than straight arm work. Chin ups, curls, etc don't hold a candle to the DOMs I get after planche work. If I weren't so attached to certain exercises I would test a few cycles of straight arm only work and see what happens to things like bent arm pushing and pulling.

Straight arm strength and scapular control are two concepts from gymnastics that everyone should definitely look into. Aleks Salkin has a short program on straight arm strength for non-gymnasts. Kick SASS - Aleks Salkin - The Hebrew Hammer

Back
Top Bottom