all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Long muscle length training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

North Coast Miller

Level 9 Valued Member
A number of recent studies have demonstrated doing partial range of motion reps at long muscle length generate a strong adaptive response, not just strength but hypertrophy as well. Keep in mind this is very different from partial reps done at short muscle length, which have been demonstrated to deliver inferior (generally) results compared to full ROM.

I don't pretend to be an expert, just dumping out my thoughts on where this fits in the bigger picture, some ways of making use of the principle, maybe spark an intelligent conversation. I feel that this is proven to be more than just something to tinker with and is a foundational principle at work. I may be off in left field...Some of my terminology may be incorrect, but from a layman's perspective and how to make use of this in a casual or recreational resistance program, it should be close enough. The following is by no means an exhaustive review of usage.

Training at long muscle length is a common theme in a lot of physio research and targeted training.

Eccentric (over) loading at long muscle length is associated with greater hypertrophy in general and in particular at the insertion end of the muscle, and also for increasing muscle fascicle length. The latter has the effect of doing more work for the same amount of neural input and firing time for a given motor unit - power. This is a tremendous tool for hypertrophy and strength but is brutal for recovery and burnout, esp if done with heavy loads. It is difficult to manipulate if training solo.

Oscillatory reps - the insertion of a short movement followed by a rapid drop and either a full ROM extension or another pulse rep. These should not be done with anything much heavier than a 70% load. Example - squat. Lower to the hole and drive up about 6-9 inches, allow to drop free-fall and arrest the fall with a rapid effort and back up. You don't want to bounce. The abbreviated 'myo rep' can be run individually or in clusters of two or three. This has the effect of briefly overloading the lengthened muscle eccentrically, as well as increasing training time spent under high tension. It also teaches the body to cycle motor units off very rapidly, in addition to cycling them on rapidly, which has major implications applied to dynamic movement. Caveat - for performance specific response, these are sometimes used toward the top of the range or anywhere between. Used at the end range, much heavier loads can be used.

Extreme Isometrics a la Jay Schroeder. Lunge, pushup, hang and a few others. This involves assuming a posture that stretches a primary muscle group under force. Example lunge. Assume a very deep lunge posture, rear foot trailing on ball of foot, knee just off the floor. Lead leg thigh parallel to the floor, hands at sides, on hips etc, posture upright. Pull the body down into the lunge, the antagonist muscles now at very long length, active enough to maintain posture. As they fatigue they are forced slightly longer under high activation resistance. Holds as long as 5 minutes are used, a minute or two of this is excruciating. This is not generally used as a sole muscle training strategy but used in combination with speed drops, plyo, as a precursor to sport specific fieldwork and as a recovery mechanism for high volume training.

Overcoming isometrics at long muscle length. Typically set up using barbell or dumbell/cable analogs from the starting or lowest point in the ROM. This approach is also demonstrated to increase hypertrophy overall, more at the insertion end of the muscle, and improve dynamic strength through the entire ROM. Is possible to apply a rapid jolt into the hold rather than a gradual ramp up. In practice, this increases force production relative to a slower ramp up, not only on the initial exertion but for a brief following period if the effort is sustained. The tendon tightens as a unified sheet from one end of the muscle body (and through it) to the other. This suggests the follow on hold may have elements more in common with an eccentric exertion, than the iso-concentric of the slower ramp up.

My experience with these is limited to the isometric jolts, oscillatory reps, and some forced eccentric reps.

My experience with overload eccentrics is limited and never as an isolated approach. Forced reps with an assist on the concentric, and heavy loads used with a push press or jerk to augment the concentric.

There is also the practice of holding a yielding isometric in the stretched position - example - dumbell bench press, pause at the lowest point in the ROM at some point in the set (typically the end) and hold for a few seconds while applying tension, but not enough force to move the load.

Isometric jolts have the effect of increasing hypertrophy, increasing power output. The holds might not be long enough (5 seconds) to increase tendon stiffness as much as the ramp up holds, IDK. They greatly increase the response to use of isometrics, generally increase movement speed as well.

Oscillatory reps have a reputation for increasing strength far beyond what the working loads might trigger if used with traditional lifting strategies. My experience with these is limited and always combined with other approaches, so I cannot speak to isolated response. They seem to generate a healthy pump and allow longer working time under load. As an example using a 20 rep traditional load with alternating (one to one) oscillating to full ROM reps, I might get 14. So the partial is not as taxing as a full rep, but added to a full rep it increases stress by about 1/3. The use of multiple partials between full ROM rapidly drives that factor higher.

Rapid eccentric. Many people use a much slower cadence on the eccentric in the belief it triggers more stress on the muscle and therefore more response. Research has demonstrated this is not true. A much stronger adaptive response is triggered by using faster rep speed, both eccentric AND concentric. Intent to move the load rapidly, even if actual movement speed is reduced due to loading, produces a more robust response. Rapid eccentric increases the force on the muscle at the bottom of the ROM (muscle length long), even if much of the travel from top to bottom is resisted for a much shorter duration.

Eccentrics are known for causing the most physical damage to the muscle, which is a good way to draw satellite cells into the muscle, creating more myonuclei, theoretically allowing for greater increase in muscle mass. Concentric based training is characterized by reduced metabolic stress and muscle breakdown.

A caveat - I cannot get solid info reg upper body pulling exercises (ascending vs descending). Due to dynamics of leverage and complexity of movement around the shoulder blade, I suspect one is better served doing these with the muscle somewhat shortened. Anyone with info re this would be appreciated. There are conflicting dynamics between long length and highest tension range that ascending lifts do not share. I suspect the specific point in the range determines which muscles are most involved (lat, rear delt, scap, trap) and regardless you want to train at long length for whatever muscle you are targeting. Unlike pecs for example, it is probable that best practices are to vary the point-to-point in the ROM

Last edited:
Fantastic topic! This article by Marty Gallagher kicked off some unexpected growth for me...

...and it took me awhile to figure out why, but the easiest way to make light weights heavy is to extend your range of motion as long as possible and that's exactly what I was doing. And then I started looking for ways to work my muscles at the longest lengths they had, which required very little load. As a calisthenics guy, this meant a lot of pressing with my arms waaaay behind me and a lot of pulling with my arms waaaaay above me.

When I look at the list of long-length training tools North Coast Miller listed, I see a LOT of things gymnasts do. From dropping into position on various instruments, to driving into the floor with 14x bodyweight, to pressing and pulling significant percentages of their bodyweight with their muscles stretched, to holding positions with ludicrous load at extremely disadvantaged positions... I'm not really surprised they're as strong or as buff as they are.

Years ago, when I first started reading about Extreme Isometrics, I found an article by Joshua Naterman who was talking about significant hypertrophy (via hyperplasia) in a bird's wing when it was stretched out and had weights attached to it. Just last week I read this article by Christian Thibaudeau about how loaded stretching can activate several pathways for hypertrophy at one time:

Sometimes when I read about this stuff, I think it sounds really esoteric and questionable. Then I remember gymnasts.

Yes.
Yes.

Jokes aside :) . . .I think that if we want to learn about isometrics, gymnasts need to be part of the conversation, and, by proxy, calisthenics and "street workout" athletes.

Often when calisthenics or gymnastic strength training is brought into the conversation, it is met with remarks such as "the mobility requirements are too high," or "the positions are too difficult and technical." Forgive me but a planche is nothing more than a plank with extreme forward lean (for which wrist postition is easily accounted for by using handles if needed), and I have yet to see someone whose mobility restricts them from training a front lever.

I see where people are coming from, I think. Yes, there are some prerequisites to really reap the rewards of some of those skills. Doing planche leans probably won't blow up your biceps, but getting to the point of doing a planche....your biceps will probably be bigger. Many of those advanced skills require that you improve your mobility and joint health, so I don't really see why that is a problem.

Many of the regressions/beginner skills for GST or calisthenics are things that improve joint health and mobility. In the "golden days" of Gymnastic Bodies, it was often talked about how something like a back lever was the natural end point of developing shoulder strength in that end range. Planches, front levers, iron crosses, etc are all like achieving your first 500lb squat.

If anyone thinks that the regressions of those exercises are "too easy" or don't provide enough stimulus, I would be happy to make you a couple example training sessions to see if you still agree ;) Yes, they are different than weight training, and yes, the results will be different. But... that's kind of the point.

Other training "philosophies" I learned from back then included the idea of training your joints to be strong in their end ranges, which was thought to increase strength and resilience, and again, cuminate in the ability to do some of the more impressive skills. Coach Sommer talked about building up to weighted shoulder dislocates for hypertrophy and strength. Same for many of the "prehab" exercises we did. Start very light, but with the goal of it getting kind of heavy after a long time training it.

Anyway, that's a long ramble, but it's my two cents about not disregarding some of those training techniques when talking about isometrics or long muscle length training. Those atheletes use both extensively.

I'm suspecting there's a tie in with gymnasts' straight arm scapular strength and impact on upper arm development.

I followed your video links down the rabbit hole and found this interesting video:

He talks about the different ways straight-arm movements activate the biceps and it reminded me of last year when I started sandbag training. I was experimenting with different ways to lift it and one of the things I tried to do was lift the sandbag to my knees, where I would form a tabletop by squatting deep. Then I'd get an underarm grip like a zercher, hunch over so my face is touching the sandbag, then use my biceps to keep it pressed to my face as I straightened my spine upright and then stand up. It was really interesting because it worked my biceps in a way I'd never felt before and that I don't think had anything to do with the curling and everything to do with basically forming a shelf on my biceps at my upper chest. I was like, "Oh yeah, the biceps does stuff for the shoulder, too."

I followed your video links down the rabbit hole and found this interesting video:

He talks about the different ways straight-arm movements activate the biceps and it reminded me of last year when I started sandbag training. I was experimenting with different ways to lift it and one of the things I tried to do was lift the sandbag to my knees, where I would form a tabletop by squatting deep. Then I'd get an underarm grip like a zercher, hunch over so my face is touching the sandbag, then use my biceps to keep it pressed to my face as I straightened my spine upright and then stand up. It was really interesting because it worked my biceps in a way I'd never felt before and that I don't think had anything to do with the curling and everything to do with basically forming a shelf on my biceps at my upper chest. I was like, "Oh yeah, the biceps does stuff for the shoulder, too."

Yes, I think the trick is finding proper regressions for those of us who aren't gymnasts. Which, of course, is why some of these guys have programs available for a monthly fee.

I personally feel the gymnastic regressions generally are the most technically demanding and most restrictive by body type. Anyone using external resistance can manipulate ROM, execution speed and loading to good effect, even if working to lose weight.

Have been listening to a lot of the 'Just Fly Sports' podcasts - guys like Cal Dietz, Alex Natera, Keith Barr. Fascinating stuff. I'm not sure if my assumptions re placing all of these approaches at a common nexus is accurate. But ever since I had success with the isometrics I've begun to notice other folks getting strong results adhering to very similar fundamentals.

Obviously this is just one facet of resistance work, but to my POV it looks like a very potent principle.

I personally feel the gymnastic regressions generally are the most technically demanding and most restrictive by body type. Anyone using external resistance can manipulate ROM, execution speed and loading to good effect, even if working to lose weight.

Have been listening to a lot of the 'Just Fly Sports' podcasts - guys like Cal Dietz, Alex Natera, Keith Barr. Fascinating stuff. I'm not sure if my assumptions re placing all of these approaches at a common nexus is accurate. But ever since I had success with the isometrics I've begun to notice other folks getting strong results adhering to very similar fundamentals.

Obviously this is just one facet of resistance work, but to my POV it looks like a very potent principle.
Dan John mentioned isometrics are very effective but only for 6 weeks and then adaptation kicks in. Can't recall which podcast episode but he's probably got a YouTube short that covers it.

I started overcoming isometric training about 3 years ago. At the time there was some debate over whether it was necessary to train at multiple joint angles, or if one joint angle was enough. Naturally there was also debate over which joint angle was the best, for those who want to train at one joint angle in the interest of saving time. There was some research that found training at the middle angle had carryover to dynamic movement, while other research found joint angle didn't matter. So, I trained at middle angle, because it also tends to be the sticking point angle.

Then last year I found the more recent research that found that whatever joint angle put the target muscle at the longest possible length, had the best carryover to dynamic movement. It's the same research article that also reported hypertrophy results as mentioned in the OP.

Thus, I've been training the isometric overhead press as low as I can get the IsoMax bar. My hands are close to where they would be at the start of the kettlebell press. The pecs and triceps are nicely stretched. The anterior delts are not as stretched but decent length. On the day that he bar reported a max force of 106 lbs. I grabbed a 53 lb. kettlebell to see if I could press it. I found being able to press 106lbs isometrically with 2 arms meant I could press a 53 lb. weight with one arm for a tiny bit - it was enough force to put the weight in motion, but not very far.

I wasn't all that surprised because of previous experience in comparing force levels at middle/sticking point position vs. close to lockout position vs. bottom/start position. The day I pressed 106 lbs. at bottom position, I was only generating 68 lbs. of force at the middle position.

When I hit 115 lbs. of force at the bottom position, I tested again with the 53 lb. KB. This time, I was able to press the KB about 1/3 of the way up. I didn't bother measuring my max force at the middle position, because just measuring the force there assumes the KB has a velocity of zero - meaning it's not moving at all. But in a real KB press, the velocity is not zero at that position. This reminds me of why we strive to make the weight move with as much velocity as possible - the faster the weight is moving, the less force we have to apply to keep it moving.

In short, I'll keep training the overhead press at bottom position since it seems to be working.

I started overcoming isometric training about 3 years ago. At the time there was some debate over whether it was necessary to train at multiple joint angles, or if one joint angle was enough. Naturally there was also debate over which joint angle was the best, for those who want to train at one joint angle in the interest of saving time. There was some research that found training at the middle angle had carryover to dynamic movement, while other research found joint angle didn't matter. So, I trained at middle angle, because it also tends to be the sticking point angle.

Then last year I found the more recent research that found that whatever joint angle put the target muscle at the longest possible length, had the best carryover to dynamic movement. It's the same research article that also reported hypertrophy results as mentioned in the OP.

Thus, I've been training the isometric overhead press as low as I can get the IsoMax bar. My hands are close to where they would be at the start of the kettlebell press. The pecs and triceps are nicely stretched. The anterior delts are not as stretched but decent length. On the day that he bar reported a max force of 106 lbs. I grabbed a 53 lb. kettlebell to see if I could press it. I found being able to press 106lbs isometrically with 2 arms meant I could press a 53 lb. weight with one arm for a tiny bit - it was enough force to put the weight in motion, but not very far.

I wasn't all that surprised because of previous experience in comparing force levels at middle/sticking point position vs. close to lockout position vs. bottom/start position. The day I pressed 106 lbs. at bottom position, I was only generating 68 lbs. of force at the middle position.

When I hit 115 lbs. of force at the bottom position, I tested again with the 53 lb. KB. This time, I was able to press the KB about 1/3 of the way up. I didn't bother measuring my max force at the middle position, because just measuring the force there assumes the KB has a velocity of zero - meaning it's not moving at all. But in a real KB press, the velocity is not zero at that position. This reminds me of why we strive to make the weight move with as much velocity as possible - the faster the weight is moving, the less force we have to apply to keep it moving.

In short, I'll keep training the overhead press at bottom position since it seems to be working.
Also, once a load starts moving it has some inertia. Also on an ascending lift the leverages increase, reducing the amount of force required on a given muscle.

But yeah, isometric readout at a given spot in the ROM is about as true as it gets.

Dan John mentioned isometrics are very effective but only for 6 weeks and then adaptation kicks in. Can't recall which podcast episode but he's probably got a YouTube short that covers it.
That was one of the things I wanted to test. A lot of that according to one article I read (not Dan) at least some of that is due to waning proprioception for a given lift. Ironically (?) I found it was about that time I began to notice the biggest increases in strength on untrained movements. Everything felt like an unfamiliar lift, but also, exertion pattern was unhampered by repetitive movement programming.

I'm not the best test subject maybe for longer term effectiveness in some regards as I have a time notably increasing strength OR lean mass using ANY training principles at my current age and bmi.

I did gain 10lbs in the first 14 weeks, and again when hit with covid regained 14lbs in about 16 weeks, all using only isometrics. If 6 weeks was it, I was spinning my wheels for another 124 weeks...hard to imagine not going backward but that def did not happen.

I honestly think people get the time-limited results they do because they're told that's what to expect, and they maybe aren't willing to invest dedicated training blocks to learn different. As an example, 6 weeks is the rough duration any lifting program will yield results without a tweak. "Looks like that's it folks". With traditional lifting we have many tried and true programming tools to change the inputs, with iso you have to come up with stuff on your own, and it might require changes to hardware, execution etc.

I'm curious what regressions you are referring to. The two big isometric moves are the planche and front lever, and neither are any more technical than most barbell lifts. Both can easily be scaled using resistance bands as well. I'm not trying to talk you into gymnastics; I'm just wondering what you find so technical. I do agree that the larger humans out there will have a tougher time acheiving certain skills (though there are some relatively larger humans that have acheived full planches), but I don't think that means they won't get anything out of the progressions. People who are significantly over weight would also have to lose a lot of it to really benefit from GST work, but again, that's more incentive imo.

I think one of the pros of calisthenics/gymnastics training is that it requires very little in the way of equipment to train for many of the skills. You can do quite a lot with a pair of rings, somewhere to hang them, and a set of resistance bands.

I'm curious what regressions you are referring to. The two big isometric moves are the planche and front lever, and neither are any more technical than most barbell lifts. Both can easily be scaled using resistance bands as well. I'm not trying to talk you into gymnastics; I'm just wondering what you find so technical. I do agree that the larger humans out there will have a tougher time acheiving certain skills (though there are some relatively larger humans that have acheived full planches), but I don't think that means they won't get anything out of the progressions. People who are significantly over weight would also have to lose a lot of it to really benefit from GST work, but again, that's more incentive imo.

I think one of the pros of calisthenics/gymnastics training is that it requires very little in the way of equipment to train for many of the skills. You can do quite a lot with a pair of rings, somewhere to hang them, and a set of resistance bands.
For the times I've experimented I've been hampered by finding a means to locate rings, I don't even have a pullup bar. Also it almost immediately becomes apparent that significant leg mass is a handicap. Body type leverages play a major role. This is true of a lot of calisthenics and gymnastics. Wrist mobility becomes an issue, I'm a guy with partial wrist fusion in both wrists, 3 screws in one. 50% mobility in both. And any time I'm devoting to developing skills needed to commence training, is taking away from simple training, possibly detracting from carryover even...

I contrast this with use of principle applied to any load - grab and go. I'm not trying to discourage anyone, get to it! For me I perhaps haven't had the exposure that clicks. I was willing to tackle application issues re isometrics as it basically mimicked familiar "train on your feet" traditional resistance work. Easy (relatively).

Some time ago a study on training the triceps came out. I can't remember the specifics, but I suppose extensions with the humerus overhead and close to the body, so something like 45° vs 180°, we're compared.

The big news was all the heads of the triceps grew better with overhead work, with equal improvements. The long head crosses the shoulder, so it was more stretched in the overhead position, and that's why it grew more, was the point of numerous influencers online.

However, was it really do? It is a tempting conclusion. But the opening paragraph already tells us the truth; all the heads of the triceps grew better with overhead work, with equal improvements. Alas, it was not meant to be, at least by this study. So, we must be careful with studies, interpretations and influencers.

To be clear: the development of the medial and lateral head were also equally improved by the overhead work, and as they only cross the elbow, they were in no kind of extra stretch in the overhead position. Something else must explain the difference.

I think it's by now clear that long length training has some point to it, like extreme stretching produces hypertrophy. However, some claims are made that this development is not typically seen in seasoned trainees. The difference would be explained by the lengthened training producing hypertrophy via sarcomeregenesis, instead of myofibrillar hypertrophy, like growth in series instead of in parallel. Sarcomeregenesis is seen to plateau very fast compared to myofibrillar hypertrophy. Now, I'm not up on the wave regarding this, do you know what the consensus these days is?

Third, I wonder how much bigger would the fatigue by the lengthened, stretched, training be compared to a shorter ROM with less focus on the eccentric. I would imagine it play into the discussion on number of sets and training frequency. What is your experience like?

I agree on the rapid eccentrics.

You mention a capability to swith off and on motor units more rapidly with oscillatory reps. I don't understand. Can you explain it more thoroughly?

Personally, I like a lot of variety so I have different periods for exercises with longer ranges of motion, and time in the stretch. I use little isometrics or special techniques, so I can't speak on them based on experience. I have been intrigued by the isometrics for a while now, and I also wonder how exercises like rack pulls and pin presses and the like, with the extreme force produced for longer in the beginning of the concentric, compare.

However, was it really do? It is a tempting conclusion. But the opening paragraph already tells us the truth; all the heads of the triceps grew better with overhead work, with equal improvements.

The question is whether the long head typically lags the other two when the arm is not overhead. Stated another way, the two other heads are stretched simply by bending the elbow with the upper arm in any posture, the long head is not. I didn't read the study since I've long preferred overhead tricep exercises anyway "I knew that". ;)

Sarcomeregenesis is seen to plateau very fast compared to myofibrillar hypertrophy. Now, I'm not up on the wave regarding this, do you know what the consensus these days is?
Some of this is seen in research with use of eccentric overloading and not so much concentric or standard iso. After that, most studies aren't looking for it specifically. Important to note that even with eccentric it isn't a notable response - seems to be quite difficult to train for.

The remaining research I've found is spotty, so from a "prove it" standpoint (results not consistent or statistically sig), that's all I've got. It may be research design, IDK. I have seen it claimed in other articles re iso, but no specific references. And then we know that without sport specific training, this response doesn't of itself increase movement speed. A surprising amount of research is not sport related but rather for people with muscular conditions.

My own use of iso at long length reliably produces sensation of stretch or pump at the insertion end of the muscle upon termination of an effort. Example biceps I feel it in the pit of my elbow, bench I feel it near my armpits.

Third, I wonder how much bigger would the fatigue by the lengthened, stretched, training be compared to a shorter ROM with less focus on the eccentric. I would imagine it play into the discussion on number of sets and training frequency. What is your experience like?
Not clear to me, I suspect a lot of it comes down to specifics. We do know that concentric only induces far less fatigue and markers of muscle protein breakdown. Full ROM overload eccentrics a ala Arthur Jones presumably require a lot of recovery. Partial ROM reps probably a lot less - likely comparable to full ROM, but that's just a guess.

You mention a capability to swith off and on motor units more rapidly with oscillatory reps. I don't understand. Can you explain it more thoroughly?
Elite althletes not only turn on high threshold motor units faster than mortals, they turn them off faster too (Kenny mentioning this got me to looking a little more into how I could incorporate it). This allows them to move and react faster in dynamic environments.

Cal Dietz interview, he observed that athletes adapted to this training show some remarkable abilities. Example dumbell bench press with rapid fire partial ROM, an assistant is needed to place hands on the athlete to keep them pinned to the bench. He had other examples but that one stuck with me.

I know my own pulse work has improved movement speed, but I never benchmarked it at the start (not sure how I would have done that anyway) so is all anecdotal.

Last edited:
I trained at middle angle, because it also tends to be the sticking point angle.
The Sticking Point

The Sticking Point in a Movement is based the Exercise's...

Strength Curve

Let's break this down.

1) The Ascending Strength Curve

This is the bottom part of an Ascending Curve Exercise: Squats, Pressing, Deadlifts, Leg Press, etc.

The Weak Sticking Point in a Bench Press is approximately the first third of the movement in coming off the chest, around 3 - 4 inches off the chest.

Once the bar is past the first few inches, the likeliness of completing the Bench Press dramatically increase.

Bench Press Training such as Partials and Isometrics in the first third of the Movement fundamental to increasing Strength in this area of it.

2) Descending Strength Curve

This is the top part of a Descending Curve Exercise: Lat Pulldown, Rows, etc.

The first one third of the movement in these Exercises is easy.

The Weak Sticking Point is near the top end of the Movement.

Partials and Isometrics at the upper end of the Range of Movement is fundamental to increasing Strength in this area of it.

3) Bell Shaped Strength Curve

This is the Middle Part of of a Bell Shaped Curve Exercise. Single Joint Movement like Curls, Triceps Extensions are good examples.

The Weak Sticking Point is in the Middle of the Movement.

The Sticking Point Training

Partials and Isomteric Training need to address the area just below to just above the Sticking Point.

This is due to a couple of facts.

1) Strength Training in a specific area increases Strength approximately 15% below and above the it.

2) Where the bar stop moving isn't exactly the Sticking Point.

Car Running Out of Gas Example

A car will keep rolling once it runs out of gas. So, where the car eventually stop down the road isn't where it ran out of gas.

The Sticking Point in an Exercise is like the car. Where the Muscle Contraction runs out of gas is prior to where the bar stops moving.

As with the car, the inertia of where the bar stop moving in let's say the Bench Press isn't isn't where you "Ran out of Gas".

The Bar Speed in the Bench Press began to slow down earlier in the movement and then stopped.

Training Methods Of Improving Sticking Point Strength

1) Determine precisely where the Sticking Point is.

2) Implement Partials and Isometric just above and just below where the bar stop moving; Strength is developed 15 degrees above and below that area.

3) Develop Power In The Exercise

The Car Mudhole Example

The Sticking Point is like driving your car into a Mudhole. '

The more speed that you produce before hitting the Mudhole (Sticking Point) the more likely you are to get through it.

Thus, Explosive Training with Moderate Load is fundamental to the Development of Power in a Movement.

Bench Press Power Training Method

Performing the Bench Press with a Touch and Go (Recoil) develops the Stretch Reflex.

I am an advocate of preforming and Aggressive Touch and Go's, meaning performing the Bench Press with a bounce with a Moderate Load of 48-62% of 1 Repetition Max.

This approach needs to be slowly integrated into Bench Press Training,

This Aggressive Touch and Go bounce off the chest elicit essentially the same response as a Depth Jumps.

With that said, Depth Jumps should also be slowly integrated into a Training Program.

Depth Jumps develop the Stretch Reflex to a greater degree; as does Bench Press (Plyometric) Touch and Go bounces off the chest.

Garden Pads

What allows me to perform an Aggressive Plyometric Touch and Go Bounce Bench Press is attaching Garden Pads on my chest; placing them under a tight T-Shirt keep them in place.

Jeff Aguirre used them for training "The Belly Toss Bench Press". This method was use back in early days of Strength Training, circa 1940s.

Joe DeMarco, who developed the Original Westside Powerlifting Method, coached Aguirre on "The Belly Toss Bench Press" and it was then taught to me.

"The Belly Toss Bench Press is an even more Aggressive Plyometric Bench Press Method,

My initial reaction was WTF...this is insane. However, this method works but needs to be slowly implemented into a training program.

The Stretch Reflex Spring

The Stretch Reflex is essentially a "Spring".

The objective in Training The Stretch Reflex is to make a bigger, stronger Spring,

A bigger, stronger Spring pops back with greater force when loaded.

Research show that up to 18% more Force is produced in some movement, dependent on the loading,

Increasing the Force Production in coming off the chest in a Bench Press amount to increasing your speed prior to diving your car through a Mudhole.

I'll keep training the overhead press at bottom position since it seems to be working.

The Ascending Strength Curve Press

Your Overhead Press Training is a good example of how to increase Pressing Strength at the Weak Sticking Point, by focusing on the bottom of the movement to a few inches up rather than middle angle that you previously stated.

Last edited:
I personally feel the gymnastic regressions generally are the most technically demanding and most restrictive by body type.
Having worked a lot on achieving a front lever, and it's still not all that good, and being small with chicken legs, I agree with you. My body type lends itself to work on the rings.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom