all posts post new thread

Barbell LOOKING FOR SOME ADVICE

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kristofpalinkas

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey. Im an 18 year old male. I was deadlifting at age 15 and I was able to pull 400 lbs after a few months of training but then I stopped doing barbell excercises and I want to be strong again. I want to ask for some advice in programming a plan that helps me achieve the following strength goals. Thank you for your help and advice.

- Front Squat 5sets 10reps 310lbs 1 minute rests
- Deadlift 5sets 10reps 310lbs 1 minute rests
- OHP - 1 RM 222lbs
- Bench Press 1set 10reps 222lbs
- One Arm Pull Up 5sets 5reps 1 minute rests ( then switch to the other arm )
- One Arm One Leg Push Up 5sets 10 reps 1 minute rests ( then switch to the other arm )

- Front Squat 5sets 10reps 310lbs 1 minute rests

Welcome!!

That's quite an ambitious set of goals to handle in one program.

As a weightlifter, and someone who front squats weekly and has been for years, I'm going to comment just on the front squat part.

10RM@310 lbs = 413 lb / 187 kg 1 RM front squat

I don't know your bodyweight, but if you're anything less than a super heavyweight, that's an Elite level of front squat:

This would put you within spitting distance of being an Olympics-potential member of Team USA, if you also learned to snatch and clean:

maxresdefault.jpg

Which would be truly awesome. And you're young enough that it's not impossible with enough time.

But....

Nobody credible is going to be able to give you a single plan that takes you from zero experience in front squat (you didn't mention your current fSQ total) to an Elite lifter in one program.

Perhaps set some more intermediate stage goals?

FWIW, I've been front squatting for over 7 years, bodyweight 102 kg / 225 lbs, and I'm nowhere near a 187 kg 1 RM front squat.

Last edited:
I think you need to reevaluate your goals. Some of them are very attainable, but others (5 reps of one-arm pull-ups, for example) are herculean feats, AND not complementary (meaning that, for example FSQ: 310 x 10 x 5 is NOT going to be conducive to attaining your one-arm pull-up goal)

Could you post some additional information?

I'm no expert but others are and it might help to know where you're at and what your current training looks like.

Thank you for all your replies and advices, all of them are great and true and came from a truly experienced backgrounds. Im a guy who barely done any training in the last years and is mainly back and quad dominant, this means for me that Im able to do 30 strict pistol squats and 10 pull ups without training them, however I can only do 20 strict push ups in a row and only able to overhead press 122lbs for one rep. In 2019 I had the chance to train in a gym for 7-8 weeks and my squat went up from 225 for 9 reps to a 310lbs for 3 reps, a#@ to grass of course. Also when I was 15 and deadlifted 400 lbs my bench 1 RM was around 145 lbs. I hope that these informations told you enough about my build and strength potential. People always told me ( sometimes in a matter of a few minutes twice ) that I should train my upper body too, the funny thing about it that I didnt trained my legs at that time but did upper body 4-5 times a week. Also I think Im the neurological type 1A guy. Im around a 170lbs with 14 inch arms. Guys you are awesome. Thank you.

Welcome!!

That's quite an ambitious set of goals to handle in one program.

As a weightlifter, and someone who front squats weekly and has been for years, I'm going to comment just on the front squat part.

10RM@310 lbs = 413 lb / 187 kg 1 RM front squat

I don't know your bodyweight, but if you're anything less than a super heavyweight, that's an Elite level of front squat:

This would put you within spitting distance of being an Olympics-potential member of Team USA, if you also learned to snatch and clean:

maxresdefault.jpg

Which would be truly awesome. And you're young enough that it's not impossible with enough time.

But....

Nobody credible is going to be able to give you a single plan that takes you from zero experience in front squat (you didn't mention your current fSQ total) to an Elite lifter in one program.

Perhaps set some more intermediate stage goals?

FWIW, I've been front squatting for over 7 years, bodyweight 102 kg / 225 lbs, and I'm nowhere near a 187 kg 1 RM front squat.
Thank you. Great advice. I will set intermediate goals and follow multiple plans.

@kristofpalinkas Your set & rep scheme, especially with 1 min rest periods, isn't really conducive to developing strength. If your goal is really to get stronger, I would first read Power to the People or Deadlift Dynamite. Start with a proven program (vs. writing your own) and look at this journey as a (very) long one. You have the next 70 or 80 years to train - so you can very easily develop everything over time... just not all at once.

I think you need to reevaluate your goals. Some of them are very attainable, but others (5 reps of one-arm pull-ups, for example) are herculean feats, AND not complementary (meaning that, for example FSQ: 310 x 10 x 5 is NOT going to be conducive to attaining your one-arm pull-up goal)
Thank you for the honest words. I've set this goals as long term ones. I luckly know that I couldnt achieve these goals with a single plan.

@kristofpalinkas Your set & rep scheme, especially with 1 min rest periods, isn't really conducive to developing strength. If your goal is really to get stronger, I would first read Power to the People or Deadlift Dynamite. Start with a proven program (vs. writing your own) and look at this journey as a (very) long one. You have the next 70 or 80 years to train - so you can very easily develop everything over time... just not all at once.
Thank you Mike! With the 1 minute rests I've meant the final goal, sorry for not being clear. I know that 5+ / 10+ minutes between sets is ideal for strength ( or a GTG approach ). I will read those books.

It seems that you have great potential. I too suggest that you read PTTP first. Take the advice on tension generation. Even if you are strong, learn good technique, find a gym where you can get advice from experienced lifters. You might have these things already, just a reminder.

Generally speaking, goals of magnitude of BW are around: squat 2x, bench 1,5x, deadlift 2,5x are the first stop. Individual differences can be big. I have settled for 2,25x DL as an example. Anyway, at least for me front SQ is around 70% of back squat. This leads to DL being generally around 1,75x fSQ, although set endurance could even the score, but only a little. I think 10x100kg is way easier to achieve than one hand one leg push up. That kind of core is pure steel.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom