all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Low HR During Rucking in Flat Terrain

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
There are a lot of ideas on ways to spike your heart rate while hiking in Purposeful Primitive.
Thanks a lot for the hint! I've just spent two hours reading parts of Purposeful Primitive. Very interesting sections on cardio. I remember that I did not find the iron section that interesting and then leaving it.

I will try some of the suggestions next week and report back.

You won't see any effect if you just carry the hand weghts, you have to move them vertically. I do alternating curl and presses.

After your suggestions I have come across this Heavyhands Panaerobics video from the 80s or 70s ?:

Today I tried it for the fun of it (fasted during lunch hour). I used two books as weights and sometimes laid them aside and just did larger arm motions. My right shoulder felt a bit restricted during overhead work and my knees and ankles are not used to resist twisting motions. But it actually felt good to use these movement patterns, which remind me of sport activities.

The warmup got me right into Zone 2 (first 7-8 minutes) and the following 12 minutes I stayed there, sometimes even going into Zone 3 (at least based on generic Polar Beat zones). Skiing Motions did the trick, and also some quick shadow boxing movements in a sumo stance. The work was quite easy and I could have kept going, but I did not want to overdo it and save energy for my Swings later. Anyway, I also recorded my HR during cooldown (last third of the HR graph: walking and lacrosse ball massage).
Panaerobics 20-12-03.JPG

Workout HR average:
125 BPM excl. warmup and cooldown; 13 Minutes,
or 117 BPM incl. warmup; 20 Minutes

Overall I think this could be a nice low impact addition to my training. I might need to consider making my own playlist with my own favourite songs with matching speeds sometime (those 80s aerobic sounds might get annoying at some point). Also: My office is 6m long, so I could actually walk up and down with weights.

Thanks for the tip!

PS: Marty Gallagher was a huge fan of Heavyhands but complained about the unmanly aerobic tapes :D
"HeavyHands went from pop fad to premature death. There were a lot of reasons for its demise, but first and foremost, HeavyHands never caught on with the male population. I was Len’s true friend, but there was no way I would perform any of his dance routine protocols." Source: Cardio Revolution: Melding an Old Protocol with a New Tool – Part I

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom