all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Low Skill Push Up Progression for Shoulder Stability & Mild Hypertrophy

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
Goal: shoulder girdle stability and mild hyper trophy to support overhead work and keep meat on my bones to support BB racking.

I'm used to a push-up progression that goes something like this, with each progression happening after you 'own' the current level:

• standard 'perfect' push up: 3 x 8
  • diamond push up: 3 x 8
  • decline push up: 3 x 8
  • decline diamond push up: 3 x8

And then there is a big fork in the road, where it's either:

• add resistance to standard push up via weights or resistance bands (less skill work)

or

• start learning the one arm push up (lots of skill work)

Given that I already do free weight training with KB and BB, and thus get lots of whole body compound moves, it would seem learning the OAP, in my case, would be less critical than someone who uses a bodyweight-only modality, and that I may get more bang for the buck just adding resistance to standard push ups.

Or, to put it differently, don't spend a lot of CNS resources on what, for me, is an accessory move.

Is my thinking wrong-headed?

@watchnerd

I've had great results doing Q&D style power pushups, as discussed here:
Power Pushup Appreciation Thread

As well as Original Strength leopard crawling and the David Allen band pull apart super series:

In my experience these are all very high bang for the buck, with a low recovery demand. They really tie the shoulder girdle together and promote good shoulder function.

The other things I love for this are mace and clubbell swinging, which IIRC you are also doing. But these are a big part of my overall training that I do for very high volume -- for me, they are more main courses than spices.

@watchnerd

I've had great results doing Q&D style power pushups, as discussed here:
Power Pushup Appreciation Thread

As well as Original Strength leopard crawling and the David Allen band pull apart super series:

In my experience these are all very high bang for the buck, with a low recovery demand. They really tie the shoulder girdle together and promote good shoulder function.

The other things I love for this are mace and clubbell swinging, which IIRC you are also doing. But these are a big part of my overall training that I do for very high volume -- for me, they are more main courses than spices.

Good band pull apart video -- most of those are part of my standard finishers, plus resistance band facepulls.

Macebell and Indian clubs, yes, are my one of my other shoulder girdle practices that works well.

However, as these bells and clubs are also skills I'm still learning (definitely no muscle memory or greased groove yet), I'm wondering if adding a 3rd skill in the form of the one arm push up is too much?

I don't know if my body is coordinated enough to work on 3 new skills each workout. ;)

Hello,

@watchnerd
In the Naked Warrior, you will find the progression.

For instance, 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps with 3-5 minutes rest between sets, for each version up to the OAP.

Kind regards,

Pet'

The OAPU has some great lessons and carry-over. And it is an excellent pure-strength move, so has the ability to mimic some of what you get lifting heavy weight, while using only your bodyweight.

However, I think for your goals, "shoulder girdle stability and mild hyper trophy to support overhead work and keep meat on my bones to support BB racking", your first option is probably best; add some resistance (or other progression to make it slightly more difficult) to what you're already doing, which is a moderate volume. OAPU work would be less overall volume so it would be less likely to support hypertrophy goals.

But you could perhaps get some of the best of both by using some of the OAPU progression ideas with your current exercises, especially the "standard 'perfect' push up: 3 x 8". You can emphasize one side by putting the other hand out to the side and using your fingertips, or using a foam roller (you let your non-working arm roll out with a straight arm at an angle, pushing the foam roller away as you descent and pulling it in as your push up). So maybe 5R, 5L using one of these progressions, instead of 3 x 8.

If you can, go on explosive push up or ring push up. Or even explosive dips/ ring dips/ straight bar dips.

What's the difference?
honestly i have no idea. I was thinking about the push up variation which you use two box and "jump" between boxes and the ground, it quickly add meat to my chest. Another thing (which i observe from calisthenics) is many people do explosive push up without locking the arm, and they swear it adds more time under tension which is helpful to gain muscle. I perfer to do Strongfirst version with straight arm full lock out, but if you want to add meat to your bone only, the previous approach still works.

As the gym are closed, I have been doing sets of front raises and lateral raises with a heavy duty band to keep shoulder size. I always find shoulders respond with growth to a lot of volume and many powerlifters also do high volume sets of lateral raises and barbell shrugs.

If you have a flexible heavy duty band you can also do reverse lateral raises and adjust the resistance with the length of the band.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom