all posts post new thread

Lunge Jumps

Sccclayton

Level 1 Valued Member
I’ve had nice results from this program so far. I would like to add some plyometric movement, but jump squats are not recommended in the book. Would lunge jumps be an option?

I prefer unilateral movements as I think they have a bit more transfer.
Unilateral Movements

They have a place in training.

However, Bilateral Movement need to be trained, as well.

Stabilizer and Primary Muscle Development

1) Unilateral Movements

a) They are an effective method of increasing Strength in the Stabilizer Muscles.

b) They are less effective at developing Strength in the Primary Muscles.

2) Bilateral and Gym Machine Muscle Development

a) They are an effective method of increasing Strength in the Primary Muscles.

b) They are less effective at developing Strength in the Stabilizer Muscles.

The Take Home Message

Employing Unilateral and Bilateral Exercise in a program elicit a greater training effect.

Not Recommended

Back to this. Why are Jump Squat not recommended?

Who come up with that and why?

Last edited:
In the book, jump squats were not recommended due to potential orthopaedic issues based on volume of reps. I thought lunge jumps were less demanding than the jump squats.

In the book, jump squats were not recommended due to potential orthopaedic issues based on volume of reps. I thought lunge jumps were less demanding than the jump squats.
What Book?

Precisely, what book?

Potential Orthopedic Issues

What research data is presented in the book that determine that?

If that is true, then performing Lateral Jump Squats will potentially lead to Orthopedic Issues, as well.

Based Volume and Repetitions

Over use of anything eventually lead to issues.

However, a well written Jump Squat Training Program with the right amount of Volume, Loading, Repetitions, Rest Periods between Set is very effective at increasing Power.

The Training Caveat

1) Jump Squat Training Load

Training Load of between 10-40%, with the sweet spot being approximately 30% of 1 Repetition Max is the optimal loading.

2) Repetitions

1-2 Repetition Per Set.

3) Number of Sets

Approximately, 5-10 Sets.

Start off with 5 Sets and see how that works.

4) Rest Periods

a) Cluster Sets

Sets of let's say 2 Repetition Per Set performed with approximately 60 Second between them ensure 80% Muscle Recovery (Dr. Greg Haff).

b) Full Muscle Recovery

Full Recovery occurs with when approximately 3 minutes between Sets.

From a newsletter about a year ago:
The bodyweight jump squat is a solid “strong endurance” developer.

Quickly squat below parallel in a stance slightly wider than your shoulders. The spine neutral, the abs braced, the heels down, the knees tracking the feet.

Explode up, jump, land on the balls of your feet, roll back to your heels, and repeat.

The jump squat lends itself to many A+A protocols—but does not suit many trainees. Like the kettlebell snatch, it is a “restricted entry” exercise. Not everyone can maintain the above technique and safely handle repetitive intense ballistic loading.

A simpler and safer alternative is the split jump squat. It is trained and tested in the military and law enforcement throughout Eastern Europe.
The split jump squat
Extend your hips fully on the top of each jump. Do not go crazy on the height, as this is an endurance exercise.

Make sure your front foot rolls from the toe all the way to the heel as you land.

Instead of clasping your hands behind your neck you may hold your hands in a fighter’s guard.

100 consecutive reps are considered good—but we suggest that you stick to A+A programming most of the time: low reps and short rests.

E.g., start with 3 reps every 30sec and build up to 30min—while passing the talk test before every set.

Then switch to 4 reps every 30sec and repeat the process.

Then 5 reps…

Keep adding reps for as long as you are able to keep passing the talk test and your joints are not complaining.

Do the above 3 times a week

Jump Squats For Endurance

Here is the primary issue
Not everyone can maintain the above technique and safely handle repetitive intense ballistic loading.

Power Movement

Jump Squat are an effective method of developing Power with a well written train program; information on that posted above.

Endurance Jump Squats

While Jump Squats for Mega Repetitions are effective for endurance, they come at a price.

Rather than "Not Everyone" let's change it to "Everyone" cannot maintain Technique with "Mega Repetitions".

That due to...

Muscle Fatigue

Once Muscle Fatigue sets in Techniques is altered for the worst.

With Mega Repetitions individual learn and develop poor Technique.

Cross Fit Endurance Training Olympic Movements

Cross Fit has often utilized Olympic Movement as a means of increasing Endurance; performing Repetition to failure or close to it.

Doing so, increase Endurance at the expense of Technique. The final Repetition in a Power Clean appear to be someone having convulsing and having Epileptic Seizure.

100 consecutive reps are considered good

Ensuring Poor Technique Development

100 consecutive Repetition guarantee Improper Jump Technique is Developed.

With that stated, there are more effective endurance method that should be employed, such as...
most of the time: low reps and short rests.
Cluster Set Training

This is Cluster Set Training (essentially High Intensity Resistance Training); the Strength Training version of High Intensity Aerobic Training that increases Anaerobic and Aerobic Capacity.

One of the Caveats is that once Technique falters, Stop. Continuing once Muscle Fatigue set is ensure and promotes Poor Technique.

Hello,

I used the routine below with good results for both trail running and boxing

Kind regards,

Pet'

Unilateral Movements

They have a place in training.

However, Bilateral Movement need to be trained, as well.

Stabilizer and Primary Muscle Development

1) Unilateral Movements

a) They are an effective method of increasing Strength in the Stabilizer Muscles.

b) They are less effective at developing Strength in the Primary Muscles.

2) Bilateral and Gym Machine Muscle Development

a) They are an effective method of increasing Strength in the Primary Muscles.

b) They are less effective at developing Strength in the Stabilizer Muscles.

The Take Home Message

Employing Unilateral and Bilateral Exercise in a program elicit a greater training effect.

Not Recommended

Back to this. Why are Jump Squat not recommended?

Who come up with that and why?
The book was
The Quick and the Dead: Total Training for the Advanced Minimalist
By Pavel Tsatsouline

It was a comment made in the book regarding exercise selection. Too much intensity and volume for program. I am interested in developing maximum power.

I thought there was an article about using jump lunges instead, but I can’t find it.

From a newsletter about a year ago:

Quickly squat below parallel in a stance slightly wider than your shoulders. The spine neutral, the abs braced, the heels down, the knees tracking the feet.

Explode up, jump, land on the balls of your feet, roll back to your heels, and repeat.

The jump squat lends itself to many A+A protocols—but does not suit many trainees. Like the kettlebell snatch, it is a “restricted entry” exercise. Not everyone can maintain the above technique and safely handle repetitive intense ballistic loading.

A simpler and safer alternative is the split jump squat. It is trained and tested in the military and law enforcement throughout Eastern Europe.
The split jump squat
Extend your hips fully on the top of each jump. Do not go crazy on the height, as this is an endurance exercise.

Make sure your front foot rolls from the toe all the way to the heel as you land.

Instead of clasping your hands behind your neck you may hold your hands in a fighter’s guard.

100 consecutive reps are considered good—but we suggest that you stick to A+A programming most of the time: low reps and short rests.

E.g., start with 3 reps every 30sec and build up to 30min—while passing the talk test before every set.

Then switch to 4 reps every 30sec and repeat the process.

Then 5 reps…

Keep adding reps for as long as you are able to keep passing the talk test and your joints are not complaining.

Do the above 3 times a week
This was what I was looking for. Thank you!

Hello,

I used the routine below with good results for both trail running and boxing

Kind regards,

Pet'
I'm also a big fan of the Leg Blaster Circuit and have had excellent success with this circuit for trail running and GPP.

I am interested in developing maximum power.
Power Development

1) The Foundation of Power is Built on Increasing Maximum Strength

Increasing Maximum is essentially the first step Novice Lifters need to focus on first.

As Dr. Fred Hatfield stated, "You cannot fire a canon from a canoe." That meaning you need a solid foundation of Maximum Strength to produce Power.

Advance Lifter interested in Power Development need to employ Maximum Strength Training in conjunction with Power Training to ensure progress.

2) Power Training Percentages

a) Traditional Strength Training Exercises Develops Power (Squats, Pressing, Deadlifts, etc.) with Loads of 46-62% of 1 Repetition

b) Olympic Lift Movements with Loads of 70-80% of 1 Repetition Max Develop Power.

3) Kettlebell Swings with Loads with a Kettlebell weight of one-third body weight and higher Develop Power.

Science of the Swing

1713353218357.png

StyleLoad (lbs)Peak Vertical Force (N)Peak Horizontal Force (N)
Squat Style702,170-2,349166-182
Squat Style1402,431-2,444278-353
Hip Hinge Style701,935-2,140340-402
Hip Hinge Style1402,325-2,550499-520

4) Trap Bar Jumps Develop Power
Post 1

Summary

1) Based on your post, Increasing Maximum Strength should be your primary focus.

2) Implement Power Training Movement described above in conjunction with Strength Training are effective.

However to reiterate, you first need to increase Strength to optimally increase Power.

3) Cluster Set Jump are effective.

4) Mega 100 Repetitions develop Endurance at the expense of producing a decrease in Maximums Strength, Power and Speed.

Attachments

• 1713353078499.png
    1713353078499.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom