all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Macebell folk.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kev

Level 6 Valued Member
Been doing 180’s of late. Think I have it now with the mechanics rather than attempting to muscle the mace. Daft question possibly… Do I need to change hand position when working different sides? I’ve just been gripping it right hand on top as if I was holding a baseball bat. At first I would change what hand was on top depending on which side but after finding it really comfortable to work the 180’s without changing sides I’m wondering what the guys and gals who use these things more than me would do? Thanks in advance.

Yes, you're supposed to change hand positions when you change direction

That being said, I definitely feel more comfortable using the same grip going both directions, but some mace gurus will say that's not the most balanced thing.

I try to switch just for the neurological challenge

Yes, you're supposed to change hand positions when you change direction

That being said, I definitely feel more comfortable using the same grip going both directions, but some mace gurus will say that's not the most balanced thing.

I try to switch just for the neurological challenge
That’s that then. Like you said it’s more comfortable but I can manage it changing hands. Those maces have been gathering dust but not any more.

That’s that then. Like you said it’s more comfortable but I can manage it changing hands. Those maces have been gathering dust but not any more.

I think it also starts to matter a lot more when the mace gets really heavy.

Then you want the lead hand to be more firmly in control and able to apply max leverage when you pull it over the shoulder

I think it also starts to matter a lot more when the mace gets really heavy.

Then you want the lead hand to be more firmly in control and able to apply max leverage when you pull it over the shoulder
I stupidly bought a 12.5kg because well my eyes were bigger than my macebell muscles. I couldn’t budge the thing. So I bought an 8kg and that’s me only now shifting the bugger for a few reps each side. The forearm pump is unbelievable.

I stupidly bought a 12.5kg because well my eyes were bigger than my macebell muscles. I couldn’t budge the thing. So I bought an 8kg and that’s me only now shifting the bugger for a few reps each side. The forearm pump is unbelievable.

Yeah -- even little wimpy Indian clubs can give me an arm pump, but maces and clubs definitely win.

Do I need to change hand position when working different sides?
In each set, I always go both ways with the same grip. If I am doing 360s I do half the set going one way and the other half going the other way without changing grip in the middle. If I am doing 10-2s I am alternating directions every rep anyway.

Then I alternate grips every set, so I hit every combination of direction and grip.

I have my maces loaded to about 15kg total weight, and I do two arm mills with 35 and 45lb clubs. With the two arm mills, it's the same thing -- either half the set in one direction and half in the other or alternating directions every rep, and then changing grips every set.

as if I was holding a baseball bat.
Do people play baseball over there, or just using a comparison that the Yanks can understand? ;-)

In each set, I always go both ways with the same grip. If I am doing 360s I do half the set going one way and the other half going the other way without changing grip in the middle. If I am doing 10-2s I am alternating directions every rep anyway.

Then I alternate grips every set, so I hit every combination of direction and grip.

I have my maces loaded to about 15kg total weight, and I do two arm mills with 35 and 45lb clubs. With the two arm mills, it's the same thing -- either half the set in one direction and half in the other or alternating directions every rep, and then changing grips every set.

Do people play baseball over there, or just using a comparison that the Yanks can understand? ;-)
Lol sometimes baseball bats get wielded. Not necessarily for baseball. We got softball in school in the summers though.

Been doing 180’s of late. Think I have it now with the mechanics rather than attempting to muscle the mace. Daft question possibly… Do I need to change hand position when working different sides? I’ve just been gripping it right hand on top as if I was holding a baseball bat. At first I would change what hand was on top depending on which side but after finding it really comfortable to work the 180’s without changing sides I’m wondering what the guys and gals who use these things more than me would do? Thanks in advance.
You don’t have to, but typically start the opposite direction of the top hand…but doing it the opposite way will prepare you for “10 to 2s” which is like a 360 but when you get to the opposite shoulder you sewing back behind your head instead of coming over the front.

Reactions: Kev
I have clubbells 2-4-6-8-10 and 12 and mace 4-6 and 10.

I switch hands every set, so let's say 360's, I'd do 10 + 10 or with 10-2's I'd do 10 + 10 as well.

I use the clubbs more for different exercises, basically:
- mills
- kneeling shield cast
- crossbody swipes
- pendulums
I have the 2's, 4's and 6's as doubles and use them as doubles. 8 is easy two handed, 10 medium and 12 heavy.

And the maces:
- 360's
- 10-2's

So, I created a program using barbells, bodyweight and kettlebells, and in the kettlebell circuit, I roll a die for one of the listed exercises using a mace or a club. I tend to overuse my finger tendons if I go full on macing or clubbing. I do like the benefits, but I sprinkle some exercises in the regular session.

Reactions: Kev
Started training with maces a couple of months ago...at the time I could (barely) complete get ups with the 32kg and so considered myself fairly strong...a 5kg mace really kicked my a#@...Mark Wildman has a youtube channel where he teaches mace skills (and other things) he's great...in short....yes you are supposed to do equal reps with the same grip (and when you do movements like inside out and outside in you are supposed to practice until you are equally proficient with both sides)...while not a purely strength tool, like kettlebells maces are a great all round way of practicing conditioning, muscular endurance, co ordination, mobility...they are a really interesting way to train too they really force you to focus...just don't crush your toes like grapes.

I find I use my club bells much less than my Indian clubs or maces.
Another data point -- I use my clubbells a lot more than my maces, and I use my Indian clubs mainly as a brief warmup for overhead lifting.

I like the clubbells because they offer more versatility. You can swing them down toward your feet in front of you in addition to behind you. Maces are too long for this unless you choke way up and effectively turn them into a club, although I'd love to find a plate-loaded bulava (short mace, sort of like the Adex ARC, but I don't like the Adex design) to use for two-hand mills. I end up doing a lot of one-arm mills (regular and reverse) with 20-25lbs, and two-arm mills with 35-45lbs, and double swipes with 2x20-25lbs. With mace 360s and 10-2s I feel like I'm just doing half a mill, and I miss the other half.

If I'm doing a lot of overhead KB work, I'll often cut back on the club drills that use the back position (mills, swipes) and do inside and outside circles (one-handed, two-handed, and doubles). Double inside/outside circles (clubs in parallel) with 2x25lbs are very challenging. You have to be a lot more precise and there's much less room for error or to make corrections if you get out of the groove.

What the difference ? Is it shape or weight ? Both ? If it is heavier than X pounds is it a club bell ?
Ie if two clubs are same size and shape is the wooden one a club and the heavier metal one a club bell ?
Different shapes. The club bell looks like a baseball bat but smaller and the mace bell is longer with a bulbous head where most of the weight is. And an Indian club looks a bit more like a bowling pin.

What the difference ? Is it shape or weight ? Both ? If it is heavier than X pounds is it a club bell ?
Ie if two clubs are same size and shape is the wooden one a club and the heavier metal one a club bell ?
Mainly weight, and secondarily material, size and shape (which are largely consequences of weight).

Indian clubs are typically 1-3lbs, made of wood or plastic, and are sized create the desired weight from those materials. Clubbells start around 5lbs (although there is no "official" dividing line and 10lbs is still a pretty light clubbell), and are typically made of metal. Clubbell is actually a trademarked name for the CST/Rmax clubbells sold by Scott Sonnon, but it's used generically for any heavy steel club.

A lot of the patterns overlap between Indian clubs and clubbells. But once the weight gets to a certain point, the technique has to change a bit to make sure you have good leverage and your joints are not in a vulnerable position where and when you have to brace against the force of the club or apply force to it. Clubbells drills have more of a rhythm and contrast between tension and relaxation. Indian club drills are more free-flowing.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom