all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Maintaining One arm pushups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marc

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey guys,

I focused the whole year until now onto learning the OAPU and Pistol. It was not always easy (physics was not on my side @ 1.95m and 90kg) but I am able to do 3x3 on both any day.
So in the last weeks I shufted my focus more towards double KB and found out that double military presses (DML) and OAPU do not fit together all too well.

Yesteray I purchased Kettlebell Burn Extreme by Geoff Neupert from the shop. It is an intense 4week double bell program which has you doing presses and squats 3x/week + 3x/week conditioning. I really like the program and will start it tomorow to get me into a nice christmas shape.
However, I do not see much room for OAPU and Pistols there.
So how would one maintain those? Incorporaring it into the warm up?
Don't di them at all?
Or is it something like riding a bike: ince you have learned them you do not "forget" them?
What is your experience/opinion?

Hello,

@Marc
IMO, it may depends on what you want to maintain (skill, maximum strength, volume, etc...).

I guess the main issue here is more recovery than anything else (lots of focus on shoulders, triceps and core). Then, maybe it will be difficult to maintain your current OAP volume (3 * 3).

If I were in your shoes, I'd consider 2 options
> During the warm up or during the stretching, you can simply hit 2 or 3 reps (with HTT of course) each side. I chose the stretching option some times ago, before incoporating the move in the routine per se. It served me well because it maintained my skill plus a "decent" level of strength. Then, when I wanted to increase volume, it was pretty easy.
> GTG may also be worth considering (but I did not tested in this context). You can go for a rep here in there throughout the day. That way, I'd even think that you'd get more volume while staying fresh. Plus, GTG is very flexible: if you are tired, you do not practice.

If GN's program is the main goal, do not hesitate to cut some OAP volume off and keep just the minimum.

Kind regards,

Pet'

However, I do not see much room for OAPU and Pistols there.
You are right, there is not.

So how would one maintain those? Incorporating it into the warm up?
Don't do them at all?
Don't do them at all. If you spent time learning them properly (principles, quality), one month off will not kill it.

From the Q&A of KB burn extreme:
Q: "I'm currently doing XYZ program and was thinking about mixing it in like this… What do you think?"
A: Nope.
This program is self-contained. If you add anything to this, you’re not doing the program and I won’t guarantee your results. If you want to see guaranteed results, then do THIS program EXACTLY AS WRITTEN. Make sense? Good.

Anyway, with the weight you will lose in the process, your OAP should still be there. :)

Thanks guys. This is exactly what I thought. Maybe I just hit some reps here and there during the warm up because I am interested in maintaining the skill only. Or rather I refrain from it all together. I would say my technique is profund since I have been practicing it all year.
The plan is to start tomorrow and get in great shape until christmas.
I will stay at my parent's over christmas and the new year. I do not have pairs of kb there so I will be doing bw and some kb moves (got a 16 & 40 bell there) during that time.

Reactions: jef
I just completed KB Burn extreme a month ago, and would also advise against adding OAPs and pistols. It's a lot to recover from day to day without adding anything.

(physics was not on my side @ 1.95m and 90kg)

This contributes zero to this thread but it's a fun anecdote. I think I know what you meant; you weigh more, OAPUs are harder. Definitely true.

But I've actually gotten into some pretty (heated) discussions with people who believe height is also a factor that makes a push-up harder, quoting things like "leverage". I think if you draw out the free-body diagram, it becomes clear, but I guess some still believe a taller person will have a harder time with Push-ups. It certainly makes the levers harder though, I'll give them that :/

Ok tangent over lol

For what it's worth, prior to acquiring my first kettlebell, I spent a while following The Naked Warrior and practising GTG OAPUs and pistols. Since I started following the 'Program Minimum' from Enter the Kettlebell and, subsequently, Simple & Sinister, I've not been doing either of these exercises regularly but have noticed no deterioration whatsoever in my form or numbers.

Unless you're completely neglecting the muscles used for either of those exercises on your new programme (which you certainly won't be) you'll be fine.

Alright guys, thank you! It is clear now: the next 4 weeks will be KBE without OAPU and Pistols (I will do those again durong the 2-3weeks at my parent's place) and then start double KBs over in the new year again.

@305pelusa This is interesting. But am I not right, that your bodytype influences your OAPU and Pistol performance?
Like say you got long arms then you have to travel a longer distance. Or you got a relativeley long upper body and short legs: that would make a difference in levers. Or am I getting something wrong?

@305pelusa This is interesting. But am I not right, that your bodytype influences your OAPU and Pistol performance?
Like say you got long arms then you have to travel a longer distance. Or you got a relativeley long upper body and short legs: that would make a difference in levers. Or am I getting something wrong?

Yeah I think you have the right idea.
Yeah longer arms makes it harder because it's a bigger distance. Idk about legs. Shorter legs seems to decrease the distance but who knows? I'm not a biomechanics guy haha.

That's limbs but I was talking about height. I've heard arguments online about height increasing the torque about the pivot (feet) which makes the Pushup harder by shifting the COM away from the pivot. So your arms would push more weight.

That argument doesn't actually hold much weight (pun intende).

I believe these folks are used to the levers were height increases actually DO lead to increases in leverage (and significant ones too!).

Hello,

I agree with @305pelusa . I have pretty long limbs and some moves are harder then. For instance, OA chin is pretty tough. However, I noticed that I was stronger than ever with this move, when I was running Intermittent Fasting (I lost about 2kg back then).

Regarding this move, my maintenance pace is about 1 or 2 rep a day, not more.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom