all posts post new thread

Matt's first training log ever. Variety and experiments.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MattM

SFG1
Background: 33 male, 6'1.5" tall 245 lbs. Muscular, ~23%bf (that's what my scale says). Been lifting for over 10 years, mostly bodybuilding/powerlifting/powerbuilding type stuff. Discovered kettlebells and training at home a few years ago, cancelled my globo gym membership and never looked back.

I have NEVER been able to consistently follow a specified program so I'm hoping that this log helps me stay accountable. I've attained pretty good success just doing my own thing (push/pull, upper/lower splits) using the big compound exercises and lots of single leg training.

The past few years I've taken an interest in becoming more athletic and "real world" strong. I LOVE loaded carries and try to do a good session of them once a week when I feel that I need some variety.

Recovery: I eat very healthy, I just eat too much. Been cutting back on the carbs lately with good success. Relatively low-stress life, no kids, sleep a good 7-9 hours a night (don't hate me). Pretty active when the weather is nice (cycling, hiking, basketball, soccer, etc).

Goals: To be "strong", stay healthy and lose bf. I love food and I have a huge appetite so its a constant battle.

Program: Recently I came across this article Things Are Going So Well, Help Me Screw It Up, Part 2 - StrongFirst and it changed my life. I have decided to OWN simple and then OWN ROP with a 32kg. I mean OWN them, not just be able to do them and move on to something else. So right now I will be doing S&S with a 26kg and 32kg for both movements. I tested myself Sunday with the 26kg and did the swings in 4:15 minutes and the getups in 6:30 minutes. Time to move up. I don't like days off (although today is one) which is why I love S&S.

Needed off day today. Not really feeling beat, just being proactive.

Yesterday I did single kb loaded carries for about a half hour. Not sure of distance, I just stop when I'm beat. Rack walks and 30 second overhead holds (low ceilings) with 32kg. Suitcase walks and goblet walks (most underrated movement ever) with 40kg.

S&S the 3 days before that. The only things I changed are some x-band walks in the warmup and 3x5 (both sides) light single leg deadlifts instead of the bridges (sue me).

S&S today.

Swings: 26, 32, 32, 32, 26

TGUs: 26, 26, 26, 26, 26

Feeling a bit out of sorts today. Had some weird leg cramps yesterday which is not at all normal. Hopefully not a sickness coming on.

I will be buying some volleyball knee pads tonight, my living room carpet is not kind to the skin on my knees even with pants on. I held off as long as I could.

S&S today.

Swings: 26, 32, 32, 32, 32

TGUs: 26, 26, 32, 32, 32

Kneepads are where it's at! I can finally concentrate more on the movement than trying to minimize the pain

Felt like going hard today but needed to protect calluses, have been slacking with them lately so no 1 handed swings. Ate a lot of yogurt covered pretzels last night, was very upset with myself after I saw the nutrition facts. Training fasted this morning.

Swings: 10x10 2 handed overspeed (banded) with 40kg

TGUs: 26, 32, 32, 32, 32

Was playing around with pausing at each stage of the tgu, big fan. Will do them like that from now on.

Slept like garbage last night, wasn't going to train today but managed to get in a good loaded carry session, left a bit in the tank. Didn't go all out.

240 yards of 40kg suitcase carries done in 60 yard sets

240 yards of 32kg rack carries done in 60 yard sets

120 yards of 40kg goblet carries done in 30 yard sets

300 yards of warmup carries with lighter weights

Hey, @MattM - what's a goblet carry?

I'm interested in what you get out of loaded carries vs S+S?

I'm not sure I get more out of them than SS. They are just kind of my default when I'm having an off day or craving some variety. I wasn't going to do anything yesterday but I just picked up a lighter bell and started walking. Light turned into medium which turned into heavy so I just rolled with it.

12 Loaded Carries With Kettlebells

#3 on the list. I think Dan John calls them horn carries. Give them a try.

Swings: 10x10 40kg 2 hand overspeed, long rest periods

TGUs: 10 with 26kg, 5 second pause at each step

Love the pause, gets brutal after a while!

S&S swings with 32

2 TGUs with 32, was feeling unstable and just not mentally with it so I skipped the rest

1, 2, 3, 4 x 4 presses with 32 instead

A little peeved that I didn't do my TGUs earlier so I told myself if I did them now I could have a high octane beer.

10 26kg with 5 sec pause at each stage completed.

I don't even want a beer now.

Note: weighted TGUs are not fun without a warmup.

Last edited:
S&S

All 32s

Finally tried chalk for the first time ever. Loved it. Felt so much more powerful with a confident grip.

Had to quell the variety bug today.

100 2 hand swings: 5x12 with 40kg, 5x8 with 60kg

10 32kg clean and press to windmill

3x5 40kg goblet squats

1, 2, 3, 4 bw pullup ladder

120 yards of suitcase carries with 40kg

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom