all posts post new thread

Barbell Max Strength Fobbit

justinr

Level 5 Valued Member
From here - FOBBITS: The Answer to Everything – Part I | Tactical Barbell | Strength & Conditioning For The Operational Athlete.

TL;DR - Z2 Cardio for 3 to 5 minutes, hop off and do 70 to 80% of 1RM on chosen strength exercise, and repeat for 30 to 60 minutes (only Z2 time is counted)

I regularly use this. And when I was running one in December, I wondered - what would it be like to do this for every training session? So in January I did.

Disclaimer - before all the “but that’s not optimal” or “there are better ways” pundits warm up their keyboards, I know. I’ve been lifting for 20+ years. I did this experiment because I like to do non-sensical things from time-to-time just to see what happens.

This was a 5 day a week, Monday through Friday, setup. In parentheses are my “sorta max” for each lift that I took the percentage from (in pounds because I’m heathen)

Monday - Deadlift with RowErg (530)
Tuesday - Overhead Press with SkiErg (202.5)
Wednesday - Pull-ups with Treadmill (BW)
Thursday - Squat with BikeErg (445)
Friday - Benchpress with Assault Bike (280)

I ran this for 3 weeks starting at 75% adding 5% each week to top out at 85% of my e1RM. For pull-ups, since they are body weight only, I bumped the reps per round each week. Week 1 was 3, week 2 was 5, and week 3 was 7. No reason for that scheme other than I wanted to do a little more each week.

So what did I learn with this little experiment.

Monday and Thursday (deadlift and squat) were the hardest days. My heart rate would spike to the high 150s/ low 160s after the strength movement. So my pace on the cardio implement was slower to give my heart rate more time to drop back into Z2. For week 1 this was 100 to 130 seconds. For week 2, this was 85 to 100 seconds, and in week 3, this was 65 to 90 seconds. So even with just 3 weeks, I saw remarkable ”gains” on my recovery.

Tuesday was my least favorite day because I hate the SkiErg. And maybe my technique on it isn’t dialed in. By the 30 minute mark on every week, my triceps were on fire. My pressing became more of a grind than it should have been. By the end of 3 weeks, I didn’t notice any improvement on anything.

Wednesday/Friday were my best days. The strength movement didn’t spike my HR at all. In fact, the strength movement was actually an active rest from the Z2 work I was doing. On both of these days, I had to bump up my pace on the machine to get my heart rate back into Z2.

All the extra Z2 work done on Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday probably helped out with my Monday/Thursday recovery gains while they weren’t that great by themselves.

Would I do this again? Maybe. It’s very zen. You just do the work. Shut your brain off and go. Normally when doing Z2 work, I can watch a show on my iPad. But getting up every 3 to 5 minutes, it became a hassle to pause/play each time. So I just used it as meditation time instead. Really focused on diaphragmatic breathing And how fast I could get back to that after each strength movement (especially on deadlift and squat).

I think if I do run it again, I’d use 5/3/1 for the strength movement. So for week 1, 65%, 75%, 85% AMRAP, and then just finish out the rest of the rounds with FSL. Given that it would be 10+ more rounds, it’s basically Boring But Strong with Z2 as your rest between sets.

Looks like a lot of fun. Fobbiting is a classic I don't do often in my garage and the base gym is way too crowded, but it always sounds like a good idea.

Do you think you'd change the cardio equipment pieces at all next time you do it? See any changes or improvements with strength or with cardio?

Awesome! This is a really interesting idea. The Fobbits are always my default when I am unsure what to do. Great experiment

Do you think you'd change the cardio equipment pieces at all next time you do it? See any changes or improvements with strength or with cardio?
Probably. I think I’d pair benchpress with rowing next time around. I‘m not sure what I would pair with OHP, but I think the SkiErg was a mistake. Or maybe it was exactly what I needed to get some endurance into my triceps and delts :)

I think the biggest changes I saw was the smoothing out of HR when going from slow, steady to needing max strength right away, and back to slow steady. The first week, the smoothing out from max HR to slow, steady was a gradual. 160+ back to 120ish in about 100 to 130 seconds. But by the 3rd week getting back to slow, steady HR was much, much faster. I’d go from 160+ back to 120ish in about a minute. Not sure what that means in the real world, but on my Apple Fitness graphs it’s pretty neat.

As for strength itself, my 7th week deload (from the 5/3/1 Forever book) testing my training max stayed the same. Which is primarily what I shoot for nowadays. My progress at 52 years old is in PR sets - just 1 more rep than last time. My weight on the bar increases are on a bi-yearly schedule now if I Really push it. Which I rarely do anymore.

I really like this idea. Sounds like it worked pretty well for you conditioning wise at least!

From here - FOBBITS: The Answer to Everything – Part I | Tactical Barbell | Strength & Conditioning For The Operational Athlete.

TL;DR - Z2 Cardio for 3 to 5 minutes, hop off and do 70 to 80% of 1RM on chosen strength exercise, and repeat for 30 to 60 minutes (only Z2 time is counted)

I regularly use this. And when I was running one in December, I wondered - what would it be like to do this for every training session? So in January I did.

Disclaimer - before all the “but that’s not optimal” or “there are better ways” pundits warm up their keyboards, I know. I’ve been lifting for 20+ years. I did this experiment because I like to do non-sensical things from time-to-time just to see what happens.

This was a 5 day a week, Monday through Friday, setup. In parentheses are my “sorta max” for each lift that I took the percentage from (in pounds because I’m heathen)

Monday - Deadlift with RowErg (530)
Tuesday - Overhead Press with SkiErg (202.5)
Wednesday - Pull-ups with Treadmill (BW)
Thursday - Squat with BikeErg (445)
Friday - Benchpress with Assault Bike (280)

I ran this for 3 weeks starting at 75% adding 5% each week to top out at 85% of my e1RM. For pull-ups, since they are body weight only, I bumped the reps per round each week. Week 1 was 3, week 2 was 5, and week 3 was 7. No reason for that scheme other than I wanted to do a little more each week.

So what did I learn with this little experiment.

Monday and Thursday (deadlift and squat) were the hardest days. My heart rate would spike to the high 150s/ low 160s after the strength movement. So my pace on the cardio implement was slower to give my heart rate more time to drop back into Z2. For week 1 this was 100 to 130 seconds. For week 2, this was 85 to 100 seconds, and in week 3, this was 65 to 90 seconds. So even with just 3 weeks, I saw remarkable ”gains” on my recovery.

Tuesday was my least favorite day because I hate the SkiErg. And maybe my technique on it isn’t dialed in. By the 30 minute mark on every week, my triceps were on fire. My pressing became more of a grind than it should have been. By the end of 3 weeks, I didn’t notice any improvement on anything.

Wednesday/Friday were my best days. The strength movement didn’t spike my HR at all. In fact, the strength movement was actually an active rest from the Z2 work I was doing. On both of these days, I had to bump up my pace on the machine to get my heart rate back into Z2.

All the extra Z2 work done on Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday probably helped out with my Monday/Thursday recovery gains while they weren’t that great by themselves.

Would I do this again? Maybe. It’s very zen. You just do the work. Shut your brain off and go. Normally when doing Z2 work, I can watch a show on my iPad. But getting up every 3 to 5 minutes, it became a hassle to pause/play each time. So I just used it as meditation time instead. Really focused on diaphragmatic breathing And how fast I could get back to that after each strength movement (especially on deadlift and squat).

I think if I do run it again, I’d use 5/3/1 for the strength movement. So for week 1, 65%, 75%, 85% AMRAP, and then just finish out the rest of the rounds with FSL. Given that it would be 10+ more rounds, it’s basically Boring But Strong with Z2 as your rest between sets.
Sounds like a lot of fun, and good results also.

I sometimes put the treadmill to max incline, set the speed to 4 km/h (medium speed walk) and then do double swings with 2x24 for 5-10 reps every 3-5 minutes. Love these sessions. Haven't done them with the HR monitor, wi try it and see what happens

I think the biggest changes I saw was the smoothing out of HR when going from slow, steady to needing max strength right away, and back to slow steady. The first week, the smoothing out from max HR to slow, steady was a gradual. 160+ back to 120ish in about 100 to 130 seconds. But by the 3rd week getting back to slow, steady HR was much, much faster. I’d go from 160+ back to 120ish in about a minute. Not sure what that means in the real world, but on my Apple Fitness graphs it’s pretty neat.
I've noticed similar results, in my mind I see it that I will recover quicker from running up a hill for example. Generally I run at MAF, strength practice is OAPU/ airborne lunge/ SLDL and some glute specific work. It's great to combine the cardio and strength work into a fobbit on the stationary bike though.

I did lots of those Strength Fobbits. I always paired rowing with double kettlebell presses or barbell presses. It was a nice way to get my reps for my presses while getting some time on the rower without getting bored. And my bottom didn‘t get so sore from 30min + rowing.

I did lots of those Strength Fobbits. I always paired rowing with double kettlebell presses or barbell presses. It was a nice way to get my reps for my presses while getting some time on the rower without getting bored. And my bottom didn‘t get so sore from 30min + rowing.
Haha! Doing something so I can get off the rower every 3 minutes does make rowing much more satisfying. I tip my hat to those of you who can sit on a rower for 30+ minutes.

Back
Top Bottom