all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Max Tension

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
It appears to me that you have possibly triggered your Golgi Tendon Organ When too much tension/force is exerted on a muscle, this Golgi Tendon organ kicks in and inhibits the muscle from firing up—- a protective mechanism. I believe Pavel talks about this in “Power to the People”.
That might explain why the 70-80% RM range is most optimal as quoted and validated by a number of experts previously.

Attachments

• 1712194449114.png
    1712194449114.png
    360 bytes · Views: 7
It appears to me that you have possibly triggered your Golgi Tendon Organ When too much tension/force is exerted on a muscle, this Golgi Tendon organ kicks in and inhibits the muscle from firing up—- a protective mechanism.
Golgi Tendon Organ

The Golgi Tendon is like a circuit breaker at your house.

If it senses more current is coming in than it can handle, it trips the breaker.

The Golgi Tendon response in a similar way.

The Golgi Tendon Orgtan can and will shut down a muscle contraction if senses too much force.

Resetting The Golgi Tendon Organ

The key to Resetting The Golgi Tendon Organ is Progressive Overloading; methodically increasing the Load/Weight in a Movement.

The Golgi Tendon learns and adapts. It essentially "Resets The Golgi Tendon Organ Circuit Breaker".

In plain English, it take more force to trigger the Golgi Tendon before it is engaged.

In conjunction with it is...

Reciprocal Inhibition

"Reciprocal inhibition describes the relaxation of muscles on one side of a joint to accommodate contraction on the other side. In some allied health disciplines, this is known as reflexive antagonism. The central nervous system sends a message to the agonist muscle to contract. The tension in the antagonist muscle is activated by impulses from motor neurons, causing it to relax.[1]

Agonist-Antagonist Muscle

The Agonist Muscles in a Movement are the ones contracting and performing the Exercise.

Think of them like the Gas Pedal on your car.

The Antagonist Muscles are on the opposing side of the contracting one.

Think of them as the Brake on your car.

If they sense too much force production in a Muscle Contraction, the perform a Braking Action.

Think of them like driving with the Emergency Brake on in your car.

The key to Overriding the Antagonist Muscle and producing more force is to Stretch The Antagonist Muscles prior to perform the Agonist Exercise.

If you stretch your pecs when you train your lats you'll manage more reps

Strength athletes will get more reps out of their sets if they stretch their muscles between sets. And we're not talking about the muscles you're training, but their antagonists. So when you're training the latissimi dorsi you need to stretch the pectoralis major.

The effect of stretching is obvious, and indeed, the subjects completed significantly more reps as a result.

1712226425174.png

Light To Moderate Antagonist Exercise Prior To Agonist

Another method is to perform an Antagonist Exercise to an Agonist one.

This method also allows greater Force Production in The Agonist Movement.

Bench Press Agonist Exercise Example

Performing a Row or Lat Pulldown with a Light to Moderate Load prior to Bench Pressing enable greater Force Production in The Bench Press.

Anecdotal Bench Press Example

Many Bench Pressers upon laying down on the Bench will grab the Bar in the Rack and essentially perform a Pull Up Row prior to a Heavy Set.

Without knowing it, performing a Pull Up Row on the Bench Press Bar disengages the "Braking Mechanism" of the Lats, enabling greater Bench Press Force Production.

Another method is to sit on the Bench. Prior to laying down, grab the bottom part of the Bench and perform an Isometric Row. Doing so, also stretches the Lats.

70-80% RM range is most optimal
Unclear

I am not quite sure what you are referencing this to. So, am going to guess.

Forces near 100% are optimal compared to 70-80%; when the time is right.

Pulse Training (See Post 14)

McGill's research determined how Fighters are able Maximize Force Production.

Last edited:
Reciprocal Inhibition
"Reciprocal inhibition describes the relaxation of muscles on one side of a joint to accommodate contraction on the other side. In some allied health disciplines, this is known as reflexive antagonism. The central nervous system sends a message to the agonist muscle to contract. The tension in the antagonist muscle is activated by impulses from motor neurons, causing it to relax.[1]

Agonist-Antagonist Muscle

The Agonist Muscles in a Movement are the ones contracting and performing the Exercise.

Think of them like the Gas Pedal on your car.

The Antagonist Muscles are on the opposing side of the contracting one.

Think of them as the Brake on your car.

If they sense too much force production in a Muscle Contraction, the perform a Braking Action.

Think of them like driving with the Emergency Brake on in your car.

The key to Overriding the Antagonist Muscle and producing more force is to Stretch The Antagonist Muscles prior to perform the Agonist Exercise.

If you stretch your pecs when you train your lats you'll manage more reps

Strength athletes will get more reps out of their sets if they stretch their muscles between sets. And we're not talking about the muscles you're training, but their antagonists. So when you're training the latissimi dorsi you need to stretch the pectoralis major.

The effect of stretching is obvious, and indeed, the subjects completed significantly more reps as a result.

1712226425174.png

Light To Moderate Antagonist Exercise Prior To Agonist

Another method is to perform an Antagonist Exercise to an Agonist one.

This method also allows greater Force Production in The Agonist Movement.

Bench Press Agonist Exercise Example

Performing a Row or Lat Pulldown with a Light to Moderate Load prior to Bench Pressing enable greater Force Production in The Bench Press.

Anecdotal Bench Press Example

Many Bench Pressers upon laying down on the Bench will grab the Bar in the Rack and essentially perform a Pull Up Row prior to a Heavy Set.

Without knowing it, performing a Pull Up Row on the Bench Press Bar disengages the "Braking Mechanism" of the Lats, enabling greater Bench Press Force Production.

Another method is to sit on the Bench. Prior to laying down, grab the bottom part of the Bench and perform an Isometric Row. Doing so, also stretches the Lats.
How do you resolve this with the idea of contracting the lats while benching, which is a common technique, as I understand it? It seems contradictory to stretch the antagonist to get the agonist to work better, only to....squeeze the antagonist during the movement. Can you elaborate?

To the OP, I wonder if this might apply to your issue. When loads get really high, I think we reflexively squeeze "everything" in an effort to get the lift to go. Perhaps this interferes with proper muscle firing to get the lift to go. Just some thoughts.

How do you resolve this with the idea of contracting the lats while benching, which is a common technique, as I understand it? It seems contradictory to stretch the antagonist to get the agonist to work better, only to....squeeze the antagonist during the movement. Can you elaborate?
Interesting Question

I am just reporting what the research has determined. Stretching the Antagonist Muscle or performing a Light to Moderate Antagonist Exercise prior to performing a Agonist Exercise, like a Bench Press, ensures greater Force Production.

My perspective is inline with Dr. Greg Nuckols...

The Lats and the Bench Press – Much Ado About Very Little

I question how much the Lats are involved in the Bench Press.

Takeaways and Recommendations

Just so I’m not misinterpreted, I’m not saying the lats do absolutely nothing in the bench press. I’m sure they aid in stabilizing the shoulder, they probably help the pecs (and your other internal rotators) keep the shoulder internally rotated, and they may be able to add a tiny bit of force at the bottom of the lift just by flexing/flaring, which can push against the humerus to help drive it upward. However, they are vastly less important for the bench than your actual prime movers: your pecs, front delts, and triceps.
When loads get really high, I think we reflexively squeeze "everything" in an effort to get the lift to go. Perhaps this interferes with proper muscle firing to get the lift to go.
Squeezing Everything

I equate that with Bracing, provide rock solid stable platform to drive the weight from.

As per Dr. Fred Hatfield, " You cannot shoot a canon from a canoe."

Interesting Question

I am just reporting what the research has determined. Stretching the Antagonist Muscle or performing a Light to Moderate Antagonist Exercise prior to performing a Agonist Exercise, like a Bench Press, ensures greater Force Production.

My perspective is inline with Dr. Greg Nuckols...

The Lats and the Bench Press – Much Ado About Very Little

I question how much the Lats are involved in the Bench Press.

Takeaways and Recommendations

Just so I’m not misinterpreted, I’m not saying the lats do absolutely nothing in the bench press. I’m sure they aid in stabilizing the shoulder, they probably help the pecs (and your other internal rotators) keep the shoulder internally rotated, and they may be able to add a tiny bit of force at the bottom of the lift just by flexing/flaring, which can push against the humerus to help drive it upward. However, they are vastly less important for the bench than your actual prime movers: your pecs, front delts, and triceps.
Good article! I hadn't considered the effect of wearing a bench suit on the lat-usage thing. That makes sense. Intentionally squeezing an antagonist while trying to exert as much force as possible with the agonist has never made much sense to me.

Apologies to the OP for the slight thread hijack. I may make a new thread about this.

I’m referring to doing things like squeezing the lats while benching.
It's a skill that takes time to learn.

I am absolute sh!t at benching and can't feel the movement well at all. But, KB overhead press if I don't use my lats to set shoulder tension my delts won't fire. If I don't tense my stomach against my thighs during a conventional deadlift my thoracic spine will fold because my lats won't get tense enough in the set up.

Intentionally squeezing an antagonist while trying to exert as much force as possible with the agonist has never made much sense to me.
Irony

The irony is that is what you and most individual are doing or should do when performing an Agonist Exercises.

Antagonist Muscles

As Nuckols noted, the Lats are the Stabilizer Muscles; Bracing to provide a more solid platform to drive from in a Bench Press.

Intra-Abdominal Pressure

This is Bracing.

As Dr. Mel Siff noted in his book, "Facts and Fallacies of Fitness", increasing Intra-Abdominal Pressure via Valsalva and performing an Abdominal Isometric, reinforce the lower back.

Olympic Lifting Belts
1712577534937.png

In the early days of Powerlifting the Olympic Lifting Belts, wider in the back and smaller in the abdominal area, were used by Powerlifter. There weren't any Powerlifting Belts.

Many Powerlifter would turn the Olympic Lifting Belt around when Squatting. The buckle with the smaller width area in the back. The wider area back of the belt in the abdominal area.

They knew this was better but not why.

Wearing the Olympic Lifting Belt backward enabled them to dramatically increase Intra-Abdominal Pressure, providing greater Stability for the Lower Back, proving more protection and Maximizing Force Production.

Powerlifting Belts

That is the reason the width of Powerlifting Belts are the same for the whole Belt.

1712577702725.png

The width of the Powerlifting Belt has a wider area in the abdominal area.

This allowing a greater area for the Abdominals to "Brace" into. Thereby providing greater Stability and Support for the Lower Back.

Dr. Stu McGill

McGill's research demonstrated that greater Force Production is elicited with a Stiff Core, with Isometric Bracing.

If Isometric Bracing is minimizes or does not occur, McGill states there is "Leakage"; there is a decrease in Force Production.

"Stay Tight"

This is one of the reasons that you often hear one lifter encouraging another performing a Heavy Lift to "Stay Tight".

It somewhat like "Bracing For Impact" if you were in a car wreck.

Misinformation Individuals

Many misinformed individuals believe that the abdominals are not trained nor developed when wearing a belt; which is incorrect.

These individual appear to believe that when wearing a Belt during let's say a Heavy Squat, "The Abdominal Take A Nap" during the lift.

Once the Belt is taken off, the Abdominal then wake back up; which is absurd.

The Abdominal are fully engaged when wearing a Belt, performing an Isometric with the Abdominals; pushing into an immovable object, the belt...Bracing.

Planks

Bracing with Planks is performing an Isometric Abdominal is the same as Bracing into the Belt

A Plank is = a Horizontal Plank.

Bracing into a Belt = a Vertical Plank.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom