all posts post new thread

Meet Report: USPA State Championship, April 27, 2024, Eatontown, NJ

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
A bit of progress, still not what I want, but as I try to do a couple of times a year, I showed up and lifted on the record. Everything below in kg:

Previous meet (6 months ago)
SQ: 85, 90, 95
BP: 75, 77.5, 80
DL: 155, 165, 172.5 fail

This meet
SQ: 95 (pretty easy)
BP: 80, 82.5 (52-second video, link below)
DL: 152.5, 162.5, 172.5 fail

The plan was: less before before the DL in the hope of finally getting breaking my old DL PR of 170 kg. Still didn't get my last DL.

I won my age/weight/division because I was the only person in it. I thanked the judges but didn't stay for the medals.

Other:
1. My life has been hectic - about six weeks after my previous meet in October, 2023, my wife's step-mother passed away and I am the executor of her estate. She left us a mess and we've been doing our best to close up everything but it became another job, taking an hour or two of my time on a daily basis until quite recently, and it's still not done. Between this and because my professional life has been busier than ever, my training leading up to the meet was less than ideal. The right choice - your strength has a higher purpose - was to let my training suffer somewhat.

2. If you want to see what a 1RM BP effort looks like from a man with a stiff, arthritic back looks like, here you go. The weight stopped ascending three times, but apparently it didn't lower so I got the lift. When they asked me if I was going to take a 3rd attempt, I told them what they'd just seen was a 1RM and, no thanks, I'd be skipping my third bench.

I required assistance to get up after the lift - you'll see that if you want until the end of the video.

3. Making weight was harder for me than usual. I didn't cut as well as I could have leading up the meet, leaving myself with about 1.5 kg to sweat out the morning of the weigh-in. I did make weight: 67.2 kg for the 67.5 class.

4. My wife and I had a great weekend - we drove down Thursday night, I weighed in on Friday morning, we got to walk on the beach on Friday afternoon, the people at the meet could not possibly have been nicer, we got to walk on the beach again after the meet was over, and then we drove into Brooklyn to cheer our oldest son running a half-marathon the next day and spend the rest of the day with both our sons, their girlfriends, and a lot of their friends. Got home last night and am looking forward to a few days without touching a barbell. :)

-S-

Awesome!! I am about 30 minutes from Eatontown. I would have loved to have been there (had a wedding in North Jersey). Keep it up. The connectiions you make at these meets are incredible. Thank you for sharing!

Great job, Steve! Love that bench press. The spotter's expression was priceless. Hope you get the deadlift PR next time.

Awesome!! I am about 30 minutes from Eatontown. I would have loved to have been there (had a wedding in North Jersey). Keep it up. The connectiions you make at these meets are incredible. Thank you for sharing!
We went to the beach at Long Branch both days, just a bit of a walk in the sand - was cold and windy both days. And we crossed paths - we live in Ridgewood in Bergen County.

Nice job Steve.

What were your biggest takeaways?
I'm still processing what happened, but at the moment, I'd say my biggest takeaway is that my overall training volume has been too low for me to make progress. SQ and BP are good example - my best SQ is 107.5 kg, and the 95 kg I opened with was a weight I'd already done for a single in training and I had no doubts about making it - I'll post a video - but neither have I done enough work to get back to or surpass 107.5. BP is the same - my best BP day in a meet was opening with 82.5 then taking 87.5 for my second and stopping there. DL is pretty much the same thing. I can DL 165 kg any day, but I'm hitting a brick wall after that and I need to, in particular for this lift, get in the right amount of the right kind of training in order to push through to a new level. I'll post videos of my first 2 DL as well - 152.5 looked really pretty good to me, but 162.5 showed signs of the wheels coming off in terms of form.

Great job, Steve! Love that bench press. The spotter's expression was priceless. Hope you get the deadlift PR next time.
Thanks, Anna - as always, it's educational to see what my preparation did and didn't adequately prepared me to do on the platform.

One more meet on my calendar, June 21 in the new NPL, which was formed by people who left USPA after the scandal a year or two ago. Then it's time to, as @John K said, dine from a bigger buffet. I miss Steinborn squats, straddle axle deadlifts, and others specialized variety and assistance type movement - I'm feeling stale just doing so much of the 3 powerlifts about now.

-S-

Squat looked easy Steve - nice work! Only one squat attempt - were you saving it for the other lifts?

I'm sorry about your (step) mother-in-law - that's a lot to deal with.
@Boris Bachmann, you are very kind, thank you. The idea was to save my energy for the deadlift. My wife's step-mother, who was also her aunt - good story there - was 102 years old, old enough that my wife and I are also senior citizens. I'll tell you more of that story over a beer in person sometime.

Back to the subject at hand - I am hoping that more squatting is going to help my DL start. I have tried a variety of specialized variety things for my deadlift including the hack (behind the back) DL and sumo, but both bother my knees while I seem to have figured out how to keep my knees working well when I squat.

@Neuro-Bob, thank you. Along that line, I'll raise a subject we discuss here from time to time, which is, "Do you really need to find your 1RM?" IMHO, if you haven't gone through that, you've missed a valuable experience in the life of a strength trainee. And speaking of squat, my squat from two years and still my lifetime PR was similar:

-S-

Whatever happened to the DD/StrongFirst powerlifting teams?
It's just one more thing no one seems to have time to organize, and there doesn't seem to seem to be much interest in it, either. You and I are both in NJ, Adam - let's start there. I'm trying to convince my wife to take up all three powerlifts so maybe that's three.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom